lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 04:21:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 04:20:03 AM]

[Today at 04:15:26 AM]

[Today at 04:14:33 AM]

[Today at 04:12:32 AM]

[Today at 04:06:00 AM]

[Today at 03:59:11 AM]

[Today at 03:31:51 AM]

[Today at 03:09:37 AM]

[Today at 03:05:47 AM]

[Today at 03:02:37 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for a whale skeleton in 28/32mm scale. Any ideas?  (Read 484 times)
Juxt
assistant

« on: April 21, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »

Hi guys, I'm on a little quest to find a whale skeleton appropriately scaled to fit in with 28mm miniatures, or thereabouts.  Ideally just a skeleton, but an undead whale will suffice if that's all I can get hold of.
I know about the Warploque Undead Lethiathan, which I really like but just isn't skeletal enough for my needs.  So any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance
Major_Gilbear
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

God-Emperor of Dune

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »

Antimatter Games do an Whale Carcass that might be suitable?

My painting logs: Beyond the Gates of Antares, and Malifaux.
Juxt
assistant

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »

Good call, although I need a full carcass/skeleton and I'd need to resculpt a whole side on that one.
Nice model though, and I may have a future use for it :-)
Poiter50
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DINOSAUR-SEA-MONSTER-MOSASAURUS-DIG-OUT-and-ASSEMBLE-EXCAVATION-KIT-/162316999861?hash=item25cad8dcb5:g:cy0AAOSw8-tWYXQv

Cheers,
Poiter50
zemjw
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »

There is a shapeways one, but it's not cheap - https://www.shapeways.com/product/V6LTH4ZV5/giglioli-s-whale-skeleton

Humakt
scientist

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »

I wonder if somewhere like the Natural History Museum might have one in their gift shop?
Or one of those kinds of places.
The Works sometimes has those kinds of things.
Or maybe Hawkins Bazaar.
Or any toy shop - look in the science section. They sometimes have those kinds of things, or dinosaur skeletons, something that you can hack up and mess around with.
I know that won't get you the instant result you probably want but if you find yourself in town it may be worth looking.
Juxt
assistant

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »

Some great ideas, thanks guys :-)

That skeleton on shapeways is perfect, definitely on the pricier side, some of his other stuff is calling my name too for another project. Having never used shapeways before, is there a way to rescale the sculpts to say, 75% or so, or is it only as presented?
SotF
scientist

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »

That skeleton on shapeways is perfect, definitely on the pricier side, some of his other stuff is calling my name too for another project. Having never used shapeways before, is there a way to rescale the sculpts to say, 75% or so, or is it only as presented?
You might want to glance around on Thingiverse for, potentially, a free version and find a place that offers 3D printing services near you
Paddy649
scientist

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 12:42:15 AM »

Try this:
https://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listings/Kaiyodo-Whale-Skeleton-Eubalaena-Japonica-AQUATALES-Polyresin-2-005-120mm-H2686/457920508?goog_pla=1&gpid=76984451581&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o10&ad_type=pla&gclid=CNz7hInPttMCFUu3GwodvmMOPQ
Poiter50
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 03:07:08 AM »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-Takara-Tomy-Kaiyodo-Yujin-Orca-Killer-Whale-Skeleton-Fish-Figure-Nice-/191582024039?hash=item2c9b2db167:g:H2YAAOxyf1dTJVXT
zemjw
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »

The easiest way with Shapeways would be to contact the seller. There shouldn't be anything that will prevent them rescaling it for you, unless some of the parts get too thin to print.

I didn't find anything on thingiverse, but I did find one on tinkercad - https://www.tinkercad.com/things/8PhxPucTjaJ-skeleton-whale

Once you sign up to tinkercad (free) you can download the stl file, or even print it yourself directly via shapeways. I didn't test that route, so I'm not sure how much control you get of the end product's size.

If you go the manual route of downloading the stl file and then uploading it to Shapeways yourself, you'll have full control over what size you want to print it out at.

I don't know how much you've done with 3d before, but shapeways makes things pretty straightforward. Create an account on Shapeways and upload the whale stl file. It'll ask you for units - best to choose mm to start with. Once it's loaded you can scale the model to the size you want. I scaled the model by 150% which gave dimensions of 6.65cm x 23.8cm x 8.7cm

It'll do a bunch of checks to make sure the model can be printed, as well as giving you a price. The White Strong Flexible (WSF) plastic comes in at 46.64 for the above dimensions, but has a few problems that may cause problems when printing. Shapeways fixed one of the problems automatically (which put the price up by about 1), but there are still a couple of others. The chances are it will print fine, but I'll see if I can fix them tomorrow. The other problem it shows is that the two parts of the model are too close together, but that one should be easy to fix.

Shapeways generally ship via UPS, so expect a delivery charge.

WSF paints up fine, but soaks up paint something rotten. I've read posts recommending sealing it with a laquer based sealer. I hit it with a few layers of brush on Humbrol Gloss Varnish and it worked without any big problems. What I was painting, however, was much smaller that a whale  Smiley

If you think the model will be of use, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it. I'm not the best 3d person in the world, so practise is always welcome Grin
snitcythedog
mad scientist

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »

That skeleton on shapeways is perfect, definitely on the pricier side, some of his other stuff is calling my name too for another project.
I do not have the whale but I can vouch for this guys stuff.  I picked up this one years ago for my wife and it is great.  https://www.shapeways.com/product/LLHT8MMG5/fairy-skeleton?optionId=43556978

For the resize, I know some of the artists do it so it might be worth an email.  Problem with scaling it down is that the print might not work properly. 

Snitchy sends.

A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of internet trolls.
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to:  

rightborder
leftborder