lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2017, 11:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 11:09:31 AM]

[Today at 11:08:12 AM]

[Today at 11:04:28 AM]

[Today at 10:58:24 AM]

[Today at 10:54:57 AM]

[Today at 10:52:42 AM]

[Today at 10:39:26 AM]

[Today at 10:33:48 AM]

[Today at 10:33:27 AM]

[Today at 10:30:52 AM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: 15mm fantasy figures?  (Read 544 times)
Tim Haslam
Supporting Adventurer
librarian

« on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:19 PM »

I love the Copplestone 15(18)Mm Barbarian range, simply stunning.
Can anyone recommend a similar quality range that would bulk out the Copplestone range?

Also what rules to use for large games in 15mm?

Thanks
nic-e
mastermind

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:59:14 AM »

Dragon rampant is always a solid go to, you can scale it up and down as you like.

The ral partha demonworld stuff is great, as are some of the miniatures from 15mm.com, just be selective because some stuff liek their undead is massive.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/
mellis1644
scientist

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 03:31:34 AM »

All these are nice but can't say how they scale fig size wise with the ones you like.

Splintered Light 15mm stuff is nice.
http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/1518mmfantasy.html

These are some nice figs
http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/15mmfantasy.html

And there is also these, which look really nice:
http://www.battlevalorgames.com

You can use Kings of War in 15mm - just use cm's not inches for all measuring/scales.

My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/
dijit
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

And when Eric eats a banana...

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »

Most of the Demonworld stuff available via Ral Partha will work very nicely and is well sculpted. These would be my first choice.

There's also the historical minis from Donnington New Era that are also the right size and scale, and are again lovely minis if you want a more medieval look. Alternative Armies (previously 15mm.co.uk) are ok, but the quality of the sculpts is mixed and they tend to be smaller.

Hobgoblin
mastermind

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »

Is it just matching barbarians you want, or wider fantasy ranges? If the latter, there are plenty of ranges that scale well with the  Copplestone barbarians. I've attached a photo that shows a Copplestone warrior with Essex orcs and a dwarf, a Blood Dawn "great orc" (from Magister Militum) in the background and some goblins (also from MM, again from the Blood Dawn range, I think). They all work well together.

The Chariot range from Magister Militum is a bit on the small side: true 15s - although that doesn't matter for orcs, etc. But I imagine their humans would look short and weedy next to the Copplestone chaps.

As for rules, I'd second nic-e on Dragon Rampant but also recommend Hordes of the Things (HOTT). It's a superbly balanced set of rules that has only required a single rule change in the 25+years of its existence, despite being popular throughout. Most people play it in 15mm I think (I don't know why, to be honest, as it doesn't require much space or lead to play in 28mm). Anyway, it's a great massed-battle ruleset - one of those "easy to learn, lifetime to master" games - and its basing can be used for Dragon Rampant (which is really a "large skirmish" game) and other good massed-battle rules such as Mayhem, Rally Round The King and (from what I hear: my rules are in the post) Sword and Spear.

Basing is really the key thing here. If I were starting in 15mm, I'd base most (80%) miniatures to HOTT/DBA requirements, as that's the nearest thing to a universal standard. It's 40mm frontages, I think. Then I'd put the remainder on individual bases. That allows casualty removal in Dragon Rampant and gives you individual heroes and leaders for Mayhem and (I think) Sword and Spear. And the individuals also give you a skirmish force into the bargain (for Song of Blades and Heroes or whatever).

As an aside, I think you can trace the DNA of HOTT in both Dragon Rampant and Song of Blades - which is no slight on either. They're all great games with some slight common ancestry (I think). The three of them cover massed battles, large skirmishes and small skirmishes quite nicely.

* Comparison.jpg (270.66 KB, 1540x1155 - viewed 10 times.)
Conquistador
galactic brain

There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »

More 18mm type 15mm figures - there are some on the Rebel Minis web site.

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!
Jagannath
scientist

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »

Yeah most of the demonworld range scales well - some of the barbarians I'd even mix in with the Copplestone ones. The cultists make great, Conan-esque baddies.

I've been painting up some historical 15s (from Forged in Battle) as vague, desert warriors for Far Harad setting I'm planning:

Definitely there's some historical stuff worth looking at.

For me, ranges tend to gel better than people think as long as your painting scheme is consistent. That's the trick for me - approaching all my 15s with the same techniques tends to tie them together (and consistent basing helps).

dijit
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

And when Eric eats a banana...

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »

Jagannath - those are lovely. Where are they from?
Jagannath
scientist

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

Thanks - they were my first round LPL entry this year. They're actually Forged in Battle Picts

http://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=126_161_179

Painted to give a more desert/eastern look. I've got another batch on the painting table at the moment too.
Tim Haslam
Supporting Adventurer
librarian

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »

Good information, thanks.
I shall digest.
I fancy using some of the Copplestone barbarians on a big woolly mammoth! Any idea where I get a 15mm one of these?

KoW appeals as a rule set, plus well supported.

Love
Tim Haslam
Supporting Adventurer
librarian

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 06:40:38 PM »

Oops!
Just spotted the mammoths!
Jagannath
scientist

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 06:42:18 PM »

Take a look at he Demonworld line:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/demonworld-15mm-c-76/demonworld-classic-c-76_151/the-warlords-of-thain-c-76_151_99/?sort=20a&page=2

Bottom of this page onwards has a few beasts. I think Khurasan does one too in the caveman range (can you tell I've ready poised this particular furrow...)
mellis1644
scientist

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »

Battle Valor games do some in the frigian force as well. They have them with and without a platform for the riders. Below is a link to one example.

http://www.battlevalorgames.com/frigianwarmammothandcrew1figure.aspx
Orctrader
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:33:46 PM »

...Demonworld...would be my first choice.

Mine too.

Painted examples here LINK but no barbarians.   Roll Eyes

I recently bought some more.  First thing I notice is the casting quality.  Not only are they terrific sculpts, but they take very little clean up.  Unlike more and more 28mm figures.   Angry

Jagannath
scientist

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »

Mine too.

Painted examples here LINK but no barbarians.   Roll Eyes

I recently bought some more.  First thing I notice is the casting quality.  Not only are they terrific sculpts, but they take very little clean up.  Unlike more and more 28mm figures.   Angry

100% - rap partha are my number one choice for castings.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to:  

rightborder
leftborder