lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2017, 10:36:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 10:35:24 PM]

[Today at 10:35:14 PM]

[Today at 10:34:29 PM]

[Today at 10:33:39 PM]

[Today at 10:17:29 PM]

[Today at 10:13:53 PM]

[Today at 10:02:50 PM]

[Today at 09:52:08 PM]

[Today at 09:48:14 PM]

[Today at 09:40:18 PM]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Wizkid new D&D figures  (Read 2266 times)
bandit86
mastermind

« on: April 10, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »

I bought a bunch and they are really nice.  They are a plastic and a bit harder than bones with really nice detail. They would be nice fro frostgrave games and $4 for 2 miniatures that are already primed and ready to paint is a deal ( the human female wizard would make a great sigilist wizard.   Anyone else get these?
http://wizkids.com/dnd-unpainted/

Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/
spect_spidey
librarian

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »

I bought the human male wizard pack, but I have not painted it up yet. I considered using these for Frostgrave, but I love the multi-part Frostgrave plastic kits too much.
Happy Matt
Supporting Adventurer
bookworm

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »

Wizkids also put out some minis for Pathfinder in the same format.

http://wizkids.com/deep-cuts-unpainted/

I like the human fighters, and the human female cleric would make a cool elementalist Wizard and Apprentice
Sin City Snowman
student

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »

Hadn't even heard of either of those but they look pretty good.  I'll have to look into getting some.
Scurv
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »

they are undercoated as well.

Really nice stuff, I have the troll and it is excellent

Voyager
assistant

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 01:07:33 AM »

I would like them to do more monsters. I prefer higher quality miniatures for characters, but for monsters those might be ace! From the YouTube reviews it appears that those miniatures are better than Reaper's Bones range.
Scurv
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »

very much better than bones
Voyager
assistant

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 11:35:12 AM »

My problem with Bones is that they are quite soft and very "bendy". I've heard that Wizkids minis are stiffer than Bones. In your opinion where do they fall between GW polystyrene stuff and Reaper's Bones?
SotF
scientist

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »

My problem with Bones is that they are quite soft and very "bendy". I've heard that Wizkids minis are stiffer than Bones. In your opinion where do they fall between GW polystyrene stuff and Reaper's Bones?

Bones also has some issues with detail, especially for ones where they still have the metal versions of. I'd gotten their early minotaur only to later discover that there were a lot of flat areas that the metal one didn't have since it had engravings and raised bits...
spect_spidey
librarian

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »

I am surprised that there haven't been any postings of some of these painted up yet. The quality is very good. There is some flex in the plastic so it is not nearly as hard as GW plastics. It is way better than Bones IMHO. If I wasn't playing a non-fantasy rpg or working on my Shadow War Armageddon minis, I would definitely pick more of these up for Frostgrave.
Happy Matt
Supporting Adventurer
bookworm

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 04:16:13 AM »

They are stiffer than the smaller bones minis but are still a bendy plastic, just not as bendy. Closer to like the later Zombicide minis.

I am surprised that there haven't been any postings of some of these painted up yet. The quality is very good. There is some flex in the plastic so it is not nearly as hard as GW plastics. It is way better than Bones IMHO. If I wasn't playing a non-fantasy rpg or working on my Shadow War Armageddon minis, I would definitely pick more of these up for Frostgrave.

I just finished one of the Halfling thieves for my Summoner warband. She is drying from the glosscoat. I should be able to get some non-shiny shots tomorrow or monday.
dbsubashi
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 10:14:32 PM »

The figures themself are firm enough, but thin items like sword blades are bendy. I am sure that if the line is successful, they will add more monsters. Pathfinder just dropped their 6th Bestiary-that is about 2500 monsters! And WizKids is about to celebrate the 15th anniversary of their Marvel clicks line, so we know they like to release models!
jp1885
mastermind

"An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »

How do they compare size-wise to the Northstar minis?

Happy Matt
Supporting Adventurer
bookworm

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 02:41:34 AM »

Quick shot on lunch break

Wizard and a FG Witch Apprentice
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:03:22 AM by Happy Matt » Logged
dbsubashi
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 02:45:06 AM »

They are all over the place. Some of the "hero" minis are 32-35mm scale, and some are just at 28mm. The smaller ones are more "naturally" proportioned. And the larger ones more "heroic". So bring a figure with you to check scale. The D&D goblins are tiny, the orcs are huge, the gnolls tower over the northstar gnolls, but the bugbears are about the right size. The Pathfinder goblins look about right, but are twice the size of Paizo's pre-painted Pathfinder goblins, in fact their heads are the size of the pre-paints alone! Not a problem if you don't have any of the pre-paints, which are tiny. I did pick up 4 packs of them, and I have about 80 of the prepaints.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to:  

rightborder
leftborder