lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2017, 05:42:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 6609
Latest: Stan Shinn
Stats
Total Posts: 1217869
Total Topics: 94134
Online Today: 373
Online Ever: 697
(July 31, 2016, 10:46:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 23
Guests: 213
Total: 236
Recent
[Today at 05:40:43 AM]

[Today at 05:37:19 AM]

[Today at 05:15:47 AM]

[Today at 05:12:53 AM]

[Today at 05:00:20 AM]

by Tim
[Today at 03:23:21 AM]

[Today at 03:05:13 AM]

[Today at 03:04:47 AM]

[Today at 03:01:45 AM]

[Today at 02:56:18 AM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Talk to me about Rules  (Read 972 times)
Dags
mad scientist

« on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:37 PM »

I decided that this year rather than paint a specific project for myself I'd simply paint minis that i wanted to paint. Most of these appear to be, loosely, fitting into the 'pulp' category.

Circumstances have taken me away from the painting table for the last month but I'll be back to it next week and I'm starting to think about what game(s) to play with them.

So I'm after some advice and suggestions on rules.

What I'd like....

Playability - something that is easy to pick up but has some depth once one has got the hang on if it.

Versatility - rules that can also work with a bit of Weird WW2 and, perhaps, some BoB.

Clear, well written and properly edited - typo-ridden rules are a complete no-no.

Minimal crap on the table; tokens, markers et cetera.

D6 based

Emphasis on Game rather than Simulation - fun rather than competition

Available in print - no pdf only.

Suggestion, please, folks   Smiley

NickNascati
mastermind

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »

Pulp Ally should meet all your requirements.
oabee
scientist

Pulp Alley Phantom Agent

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:18:07 AM »

Pulp Ally should meet all your requirements.

Agreed, with the qualification that it is not strictly d6 based, using other sized dice (d8, d10, and very occasionally d12) in a clearly defined, elegant manner which eliminates the need for charts. Otherwise, it's spot on.

I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden
pistolpete
scientist

i believe that we will win

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:31:58 AM »

Agreed, pulp alley should fit nicely.  They even have free quick start rules,  so you have nothing to lose.

"remember, rent money is for rent" - telly savalas
Mr. Peabody
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Canuck Amok

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:40:51 AM »

Don't miss out on the brilliant fun that Pulp Alley has to offer. You can literally do anything you like with this polished set of rules and expansions. Fly aircraft, drive cars, sail ships, pilot stompy robots... Or stick to the fundamentals and get your favourite minis on the table. Absolutely worth every penny.

Another fine contender - and one that is exclusively d6 driven - is 2nd edition Strange Aeons. While the Lovecraft inspired theme may not be 100% pure Pulp, it sure comes close. The mechanics are elegant and rock-solid.

These two games are easy to learn, well supported and endorsed by enthusiastic communities here and elsewhere online. They are popular convention games as the basic rules are simple, yet offer deep options for play.

Both of these games feature excellent production values and are well edited.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!
gweirda
bookworm

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:53:06 AM »

Agreed, with the qualification that it is not strictly d6 based, using other sized dice (d8, d10, and very occasionally d12) in a clearly defined, elegant manner which eliminates the need for charts. Otherwise, it's spot on.

If many types of dice are a deal breaker, Pulp Alley works with just d10s.  It's not an exact match, percentage-wise, but the game itself is so strong that even this tweak doesn't wreck it (much).  ; )

Pulp Alley: Made for fun, to have fun.  Best recommendation I can think of.
blacksoilbill
mad scientist

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:13:34 AM »

Yes, if you're willing to flex your d6 requirement, Pulp Alley is excellent. Very versatile: we've used it for everything from sci fi to Wars of the Roses, with Pulp, Cthulhu and WWII along the way.

It's huge fun: story and scenario driven, not just shoot 'me up.

And one of the things I like about it is that it handles multiple players really well.

FramFramson
galactic brain

Emoticon Knight-Errant

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 02:22:43 AM »

Another vote for Pulp Alley. Don't mind the dice requirements, you'll love the rules if you try them.

tjgreenway
assistant

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 03:00:00 AM »

Another vote for Pulp Alley here. I was a bit apprehensive about the dice mechanics at first, but after reading the rules and having a play through, it's a very well thought out system and easy to pick up - even the wife picked it up and was having a great time through our first game. It just means you need a handful of D6, D8, D10 and D12 (we get by with a handful of D6 each and four D8, D10 and D12 between the two of us).

There is a need for some markers to keep track of a few game mechanics (Hidden, Run and how many Combats a character's been involved in are the main ones) but we keep track of them on the character cards rather than on the table, makes for a much less cluttered board. 2 player is played on a 3x3 surface, so hasn't been a problem for us being able to check the other player's markers at any point.

Overall, it's a really fun game with the emphasis being on the storyline and completing plot points rather than just shooting the other player off the table etc., which makes for a much more fun game in my view. Seems to be great for most genres as well - we're playing traditional 1920's pulp at the moment, but I'm planning a sci-fi campaign for in the near future too  Cheesy

warrenpeace
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:10:38 AM »

Pulp Alley has dominated the Pulp miniature forums this decade, with good reason. Last decade it was the d10 rules .45 Adventure. Although Savage Worlds is good, it's not well known in the miniatures world because it's a light RPG. If you need a campaign RPG element, you can get some of that from Savage Worlds.

Pulp Alley is simple, easy to learn and teach, quick to play as long as you don't have too many players (4 or 5 max), and is flexible enough to handle any setting from pre-historic Stone Age to futuristic sci-fi. And Pulp Alley is not standing still, with new products coming out every year, including minis, assessories, cards, and campaign books. And Dave and Mila are on this forum all the time.

You just need a variety of dice...

Sailors have more fun!
Mr_Kapow
student

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »

Pulp Alley, for all the reasons listed above. Smiley
Mad Lord Snapcase
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Pulp Alley Phantom Agent

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »

Pulp Alley!

Emphasis on Game rather than Simulation - fun rather than competition

This is what it's all about!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition."
redzed
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »

Pulp Alley all the way  Cool

Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.
Dags
mad scientist

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »

Thanks all Cool

Looks like there's a consensus. I've got a set coming so I've got plenty of choice on who to blame if I hate them  Wink
redzed
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »

Thatcher  Laugh
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: