lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2017, 07:11:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 6609
Latest: Stan Shinn
Stats
Total Posts: 1218226
Total Topics: 94155
Online Today: 350
Online Ever: 697
(July 31, 2016, 10:46:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 22
Guests: 240
Total: 262
Recent
[Today at 07:08:07 AM]

by SotF
[Today at 06:59:53 AM]

[Today at 06:55:38 AM]

[Today at 06:45:22 AM]

[Today at 06:33:48 AM]

[Today at 06:31:24 AM]

[Today at 06:24:27 AM]

[Today at 06:06:04 AM]

[Today at 05:26:42 AM]

[Today at 05:17:04 AM]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: My journey into 40k  (Read 2746 times)
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 02:35:13 AM »

Good progress. Smiley

Shame about the Dreadnought though... Especially as that old AoBR model is the only way to get the plastic Multi Melta option which is the basic default weapon they come with in the army lists.  Confused

An alternative option could be to see if you can sand/file all the big areas smooth, and up-armour them to make an Ironclad Dreadnought conversion out of it?

I suppose that worst-case scenario you can chop it up to use as a mixture of basing features, objectives, and terrain?

Anyway, I had a look to see if I could find that blue-and-camo scheme that I mentioned earlier, but I couldn't find it. I have a feeling that I saw it about ten years ago in one of those Space Marine Collector guides that GW put out before they pretty much stopped publishing printed catalogues. I seem to remember seeing a Pre-Heresy Ultramarines army in there too, where every model was converted in some way. If I ever find it, I'll post it up for you!

Thanks, this project wouldn't even have started if it wasn't for you.

I've got another painted dreadnought that's going to be converted into a Ironclad. Ironically I didn't want to clean it right away since it was a bit damaged and the Ironclad wasn't a priority  Laugh But I think I saved this one, so I'll try and paint it.

I think I can get some old Collector Guides so I'll check them out!

Good progress.

You could go for the aged cast hull look. You might need to remove and replace the iconography and the "Best of Show" rosettes.

You might inspire me to finish mine off.

I'm going to try and do that to my other dread Wink I've read some articles about giving some "cast metal" texturing to vehicles and I'll try it for my Ironclad dread. This article is basically what I'll do: http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/tbmodelconstruction-addingcasttexturetoturrets

Then I hope to see your dread finished Wink

Nothing in half measure Predatorpt Cheesy !  You did go all in.  I have been having a wicked 40k modelling craving for a while now and some friends have been pressuring me ( ie twisting my rubber arms) to get to some Shadow Wars and maybe a modest army as well.  I'm up in the air but sorely tempted by the Nurgle models that have been poking around but seeing a big loyalist project doesn't help me commit to a plan.  Great start to an ambitious project but I don't understand why you tear down that "pro painted" dreadnought  Laugh .

You know, that Death Guard models they previewed are really nice, there's no harm in straying away from the light of the Golden Throne Wink "Pro-painted" armies like mine are easy to find on Ebay and are a great way to start (or in my case complement) a project.
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 03:09:57 AM »

So, like I said in my previous post, I managed to salvage the dreadnought. The alcohol further removed the primer and then I sanded some of it...and I'm happy with the results. In the following photos, there seems to be some pitting in the plastic but it isn't as bad as it looks (I blame it on the macro function of the camera).

I also finished assembling my third and final tactical squad. 30 Space Marines in roughly 4 days of work, not bad! (at least for me, Laugh). This time I didn't take group pictures, just some highlights that I'm "proud" of.

I made a SM using a missile launcher while kneeling, using a set of legs from the old Command Squad sprue.

Of course that then I found out that there's a pair of legs just for that in the Heavy Weapons box...but I was pretty happy until then Tongue

I drilled all the weapons  Grin

It's a pain to do it, specially getting the hole of the barrel centered. Any tips on doing that? Drilling the lateral holes seem to help but even so...maybe making a pilot hole with a small drill and then the larger one?

The 10th and final member of my 3rd Tactical Squad was a salvaged SM.

There are some parts still in blue, but those are impossible to clean even with acetone since they are mixed with superglue. But since the main offenders will be covered by the shoulder pads and the head, I just need take care when paint the hand/bolter zone, checking if the blue doesn't show.

I'm going back to work on Monday so that will slow down my hobby time, but I'm hoping to assemble a drop-pod and start working on more figures (maybe the Assault Squad).
Ultravanillasmurf
mad scientist

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »

Excellent.

At one point the command and heavy weapon sets used the same bodies sprue, which lacked the Womble head (even though the examples on the box included one).

You can use your remaining kneeling body with one of the missile launcher from a tactical set,or with some cable modifications as a lascannon sniper (I have an unfinished Alpha legion figure that needs the cables replacing - the supplied ones foul the knee)

I have finished one dread (http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/venerable-bede.html) but have at least three under construction (and a modified original) somewhere.

I am in awe of your 30 marines in four days, I have not finished this tray yet (http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/work-in-glacial-progress.html)

Keep up the inspiring work.

Michka
mastermind

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »

When I go to drill out barrels of Bolters and Lasguns I poke a small hole in the end of the barrel with either my x-acto knife or a dress pin. The plastic is soft enough that the point goes in easy, and that tiny little pilot hole is usually enough to guild the pin vice so long as I'm careful.

The amount of work your doing on this whole project is impressive.
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 01:22:07 AM »

Slow week for me, I'm waiting for some bits I won on Ebay, with enough parts to do all the weapons on a Dreadnaught. Meanwhile I'm only working on the old dreadnaught, doing some damage on it prior to painting.

Excellent.

At one point the command and heavy weapon sets used the same bodies sprue, which lacked the Womble head (even though the examples on the box included one).

You can use your remaining kneeling body with one of the missile launcher from a tactical set,or with some cable modifications as a lascannon sniper (I have an unfinished Alpha legion figure that needs the cables replacing - the supplied ones foul the knee)

I have finished one dread (http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/venerable-bede.html) but have at least three under construction (and a modified original) somewhere.

I am in awe of your 30 marines in four days, I have not finished this tray yet (http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/work-in-glacial-progress.html)

Keep up the inspiring work.

Wow, you sold me the idea of the conversion with that mention of a lascannon sniper. I'll have to try that one for sure. I still haven't glued the arms for easing of painting but I can see why a bulkier weapon (or one with cables) will bash against the knee of the model :\ Get those dreads finished! The Black Templars one is already great Wink And remember that your marines are assembled and painted in some way. I only assembled 30 models, without heads or pauldrons attached so you are at least 2 steps ahead of me.

When I go to drill out barrels of Bolters and Lasguns I poke a small hole in the end of the barrel with either my x-acto knife or a dress pin. The plastic is soft enough that the point goes in easy, and that tiny little pilot hole is usually enough to guild the pin vice so long as I'm careful.

The amount of work your doing on this whole project is impressive.

I need to start doing that trick with the pin. Using a small drill for the pilot hole isn't very accurate. And I've also found out that the holes that I do seem to be very small if compared with the ones most people do. Guess bolt slugs are really big, Laugh.

And your output in terms of projects puts mine to shame but thanks for the compliment  Wink
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 03:49:53 AM »

And I've been bitten by the Shadow War bug. After buying a Spanish version of the box, I ended up buying another one but this time in English! Now I have 2 gigantic boxes at home  Shocked

So now I'm working on all this great terrain

using magnets so I can swap the pieces around

and even stack them

In other news...while waiting for the SW boxes to arrive, I've assembled some terrain from the old Robogear boxes (Hexagon pieces only, at least for now):

Need to assemble Scouts and Orks and finish my Dreadnaughts - I now have 3 of them since I found another one in an old Robogear starter set (I was going to convert it with bits from their mechs and that's something that I need to do since its missing its feet). And I'm now the owner of a box full of Dark Templar bits and figures that I don't need o_O
Elbows
galactic brain

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 05:13:07 AM »

Nice work, I'm enjoying following this project.  One of the highlights of doing my rather large Eldar recovery project was the rescue aspect.  It's soooo much more fun to "save" a miniature than paint a new one (to me at least).  I, sadly, love the idea of saving a miniature and giving it another 10-15-20 years of tabletop service.

2017 Painted Miniatures: 78
(2016: 233, 2015: 32, 2014: 116)

http://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/
Dr Mathias
LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 05:20:12 AM »

Magnetizing the caps? That's crazy. In a good way!

… a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:35 AM »

Thanks for the support gentleman. In these last days I haven't done much:

I assembled barrels (Tamiya and Italeri 1/48 and GW) because you can't have a Promethium refinery without a place to store it, right?

Finally cleaned up the mold lines of the walkways (the supports are a real pain  Angry) and glued some of it together. Having some walkways with the support columns gives me the opportunity to assemble the terrain in various configurations. Still have some columns and an extra platform to glue.

Still have lots of stuff to assemble  Cry
horridperson
mad scientist

Doing the Will of The Horned Cat

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »

Neat!  That magnet set up will make the build and paint phase more labour intensive (more angles to see things from requires more care) but once you have it up and running it will be well worth it.

Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 04:45:57 AM »

Neat!  That magnet set up will make the build and paint phase more labour intensive (more angles to see things from requires more care) but once you have it up and running it will be well worth it.

Thanks  Cheesy The walkways were the only thing that I didn't magnetize but I have to say that if I had enough magnets for the task I would do it - most of the clips that hold the scenario together have a tendency to fall. I hope that with the painting they'll get a more snug fit. If all goes well, tomorrow I'll prime most of the scenario.
Kamandi
librarian

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »

Ooh, original Rhino, in the days when you got three in a box.

I'm afraid the first Rhino's didn't have housings over the exhausts - they had bare mufflers. This is a later kit.

"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"
Major_Gilbear
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

God-Emperor of Dune

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

Looks like a good start... although talk about increasing your workload!

Having playing lots of Necromunda over the years (and other terrain-intensive games like Infinity), I personally think it's best to build the "buildings" as standalone parts, and then have the "walkways" as self-supported standalone terrain too. The walkways can then be placed between the buildings.

Now, this does limit you a bit in terms of varying the walkway height (i.e., they are all fixed at the height you modelled them at), but it's much more sturdy and the models are less likely to take a tumble if you catch the scenery with your sleeve or knock the table during play.

It also has the benefit that the walkway supports can be "filled in" to make them solid blocking terrain, or to have light scattered cover like barrels and such placed around their supporting legs. This increases the model stability further, and provides some much-needed cover too.

So if you're finding that some of the SW:A terrain is a bit rickety, this may be a good solution for you too. The scenery bases can even be rectangles of plasticard detailed and painted up like big metal plates (and will therefore suit any terrain you put them on).

What led me to try this style of terrain setup in the first place? Why all those old 1995-1997 White Dwarf mags with pictures of Necromunda in them!  Laugh

My painting logs: Beyond the Gates of Antares, and Malifaux.
Elbows
galactic brain

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »

I agree with Major - but I also think the GW kits are not set up to support that - though you can buy heaps of MDF walkways to link the pre-made GW sections.  I think the GW stuff would make nice ornamental pieces on a much larger (much more cost efficient) MDF setup if you could paint it all to match up.
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 02:14:33 AM »

Major_Gilbear; Elbows - Thanks for the feedback, I really need to spend some thought and effort on how to assemble everything so I can get true "Necromunda" looking terrain, instead of just some walkways stretching to nothing, Laugh. When I have all the furnaces/silos/etc. assembled I'll have another go at the different configurations. And I'll also be using some stuff made by myself, like this big "silo":

Like Major_Gilbear said, all those old WD inspired me to buy these 2 boxes (and some others that will be arriving soon) and the moment I saw the battle report on this month WD I had the idea about doing a similar battlefield. Since I also found out that Armageddon is the "new" name for Ullanor (and I'm finishing reading the "War of the Beast" books) my project was to build the Hexagon terrain sets as "Orkish" terrain that would be the foundations of the Mechanicus refinery stacked on top of it. Unfortunately I can't afford to have that much terrain in my house at this moment and I was forced to sell the Hexagon sets and start everything from scratch.

Since yes, I love to be overburdened with projects  Cheesy, I've also started to assemble my Scouts for the game (the Orks are another story, I bought a box full of already assembled ones some months ago, just need to stat them, Laugh). I have exactly 1000 points.

My Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Chainsword) and Scout Gunner (Heavy Bolter; Photo Visor). I used a Scion beret head for the Sergeant

The Scout Gunner again (he's using the legs of one of Snipers- had to remove part of them so the Bolter would sit right) and my Sniper (he's the most loaded one - Sniper Rifle; Clip Harness; Telescopic Sight; Camo Gear)

2 Novitiates Scouts (using Scion heads for both and also legs in the case of the guy on the right. Their loadout - Boltgun; Red Dot; Camo Gear)

Really love the Scions boxes for the sheer amount of bits and variety of poses you get. After reading some posts of Facebook groups I'm thinking about buying some Neophyte Hybrids to convert them into..something Wink Also I think I need some Steel Legion so I can run a IG force  Hypno

If everything goes according to my plans, next week I'll start priming everything that I did until now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Jump to: