lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 05:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 05:47:36 PM]

[Today at 05:47:01 PM]

[Today at 05:45:19 PM]

[Today at 05:40:01 PM]

[Today at 05:36:31 PM]

[Today at 05:33:48 PM]

[Today at 05:31:47 PM]

[Today at 05:27:58 PM]

by nils
[Today at 05:20:46 PM]

[Today at 05:11:09 PM]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: My journey into 40k  (Read 2391 times)
Ultravanillasmurf
mad scientist

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »

Ooh, original Rhino, in the days when you got three in a box.

I still have one complete, one​ reconstructed and one lot of bits and​ pieces (two were used for a steam tank).

The How to paint Citadel Tanks book has a blue/grey scheme.

Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »

Ooh, original Rhino, in the days when you got three in a box.

I still have one complete, one​ reconstructed and one lot of bits and​ pieces (two were used for a steam tank).

The How to paint Citadel Tanks book has a blue/grey scheme.

Thanks for the tip, I have that book! But I checked and it's only one pictures, very similar to the one I found on Google search. And after a new search on Google images, I found out that all my "inspirational" pictures come from the same source, this blog: http://heavytankbuilder.blogspot.pt/

His Ultramarines vehicles are painted in that scheme - grey and blue  Love
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »

I'm on my vacations right now, so I've started working on my minis again. Since I was cleaning up a Dreadnought , I've decided to take pictures of the process.

The miniature in question, glued with a mixture of wood glue and super glue and very well painted  Lips Sealed

I ended up breaking the arms while removing them

The feet were a pain to remove and they left these marks on the base (they were attached with wood glue mixed with brown paint for the base and the sand)

The torso came apart easily

So now comes the fun part. I went ahead and filled up a glass container with acetone (after making sure it was wide enough to fit the miniatures in)

After 3 dips of 5 seconds each, this is the "sweet point" - the paint is just breaking apart but still attached to the miniature

Then I did the same for all the parts and soaked them in water with dishwasher liquid for a few minutes before giving them a good scrub with my nylon brush. This is the final result:

No loss of detail, no melted plastic, some parts are already with their original grey plastic color, other sill have blue spots and lots of black primer. The acetone is now like this

To further remove the black primer and rest of paint, I've put all the pieces in isopropilic alcohol and I'll let them rest until tomorrow

After a few second in it, there are already some flakes of blue paint floating around and the alcohol is turning dark, a sure sign that the primer is breaking apart. Tomorrow I'll give it another vigorous scrubbing and post the results.
Ultravanillasmurf
mad scientist

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »

I hope you got them really cheap.

I did a better job on my first Spitfire ^___^.
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »

I hope you got them really cheap.

I did a better job on my first Spitfire ^___^.

Yeah, they were cheap and the sheer amount of vehicles I got (2 Dreadnoughts; 1 Rhino; 1 Predator; 1 Land Speeder plus a Chaos bike  Hypno) made it worth it, even if now I'll have the trouble of stripping them of paint. And I forgot to mention the 14 Terminators (a mix of the ones from Assault on Black Reach and normal ones) included.  Laugh

My guess is that the minis were painted by a very young kid..and maybe also assembled  - that would explain why all the Assault Marines are only armed with chainswords, on both hands  Laugh

But my workday finished with the first 40k "official" vehicle. A Razorback equipped with Assault Cannons. This is only a test fit for the vehicle, since I didn't glued it - want to keep sub-assemblies so I can paint the interior:

Of course that working with resin was a pain and I quickly remembered why I hate it.

It took my 15 minutes to glue the ammo feeds into their slots! And every time I look at the pictures I think that the cannons aren't lined up properly

Now to get painting...Wednesday I hope. Until then I need to assemble some Tactical Squads Wink
Ultravanillasmurf
mad scientist

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 11:09:28 PM »

If you leave the lid loose, you can swap it between an IFV (Razorback) and an APC (Rhino).

Is that a Forgeworld turret?
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 12:48:47 AM »

If you leave the lid loose, you can swap it between an IFV (Razorback) and an APC (Rhino).

Is that a Forgeworld turret?

Yeah, I'm thinking about not gluing the top part. As for the turret, let's just say it's from another source  Lips Sealed
Elbows
galactic brain

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 04:55:49 AM »

For additional turrets etc. Bitspudlo is excellent on eBay (they're a 3rd party, not a recaster). 

2017 Painted Miniatures: 78
(2016: 233, 2015: 32, 2014: 116)

http://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/
Ballardian
mad scientist

Too old to stop now

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »

Nice work (you're braver than I am with the acetone, but as you've made it work so well I'll definately consider it next time I have to strip a model).
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 01:36:48 AM »

Spent most of my day working on 2 Tactical Squads. And for the first time, used these 2 tools:

GW's Mold Line remover works like a charm and I find it easier to use than scrapping away with a X-acto blade. The fact that you can't cut yourself with that tool also makes it a total must-use in all my projects from now on.  Laugh The razor saw is another great find, it makes it very easy to cut thin lines into plastic, like I did in this base

And why did I do that? Because I found 2 metal SM in the middle of my Ebay haul. After a quick dip in acetone, they were fit to go. By their tabs, they were part of the old Blood Angels Death Company boxed set.

I removed the Blood Angels iconography from them and cut away at their tabs until I only had a little metal peg in each

Then I cut some parts of the bases, used a metal file to make a hole and slotted the minis there:

After that it was only a matter of using the spare arms/weapons from the Tactical Squad sprues

There's a bit of gap in one of the arms of the second marine, but it will be covered with the shoulder pauldron so I'm not very worried.

Here's my first Tactical Squad (heads, backpacks, shoulder pauldrons are not glued in place for easier of painting)

The second one

As you can see, I've mixed miniatures from both "Betrayal at Calth" and the normal Tactical Squad set. Now I just need to do another squad  Wink
Predatorpt
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 03:06:55 AM »

Small disaster to end the day. I was cleaning the Dreadnought while watching tv and I ended up dipping it in acetone instead of water. End result...the black primer started dissolving, along with the plastic  Frown

It isn't very visible, it looks like someone primed it with a textured paint

But at least some parts are already clean!

I've dropped the dreadnought back into alcohol and I'll let it rest during a couple of days. Then I'll scrub it again and hope for the best.
tomrommel1
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »

nice progress

In hoc signo vinces
Major_Gilbear
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

God-Emperor of Dune

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »

Good progress. Smiley

Shame about the Dreadnought though... Especially as that old AoBR model is the only way to get the plastic Multi Melta option which is the basic default weapon they come with in the army lists.  Confused

An alternative option could be to see if you can sand/file all the big areas smooth, and up-armour them to make an Ironclad Dreadnought conversion out of it?

I suppose that worst-case scenario you can chop it up to use as a mixture of basing features, objectives, and terrain?

Anyway, I had a look to see if I could find that blue-and-camo scheme that I mentioned earlier, but I couldn't find it. I have a feeling that I saw it about ten years ago in one of those Space Marine Collector guides that GW put out before they pretty much stopped publishing printed catalogues. I seem to remember seeing a Pre-Heresy Ultramarines army in there too, where every model was converted in some way. If I ever find it, I'll post it up for you!

My painting logs: Beyond the Gates of Antares, and Malifaux.
Ultravanillasmurf
mad scientist

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »

Good progress.

You could go for the aged cast hull look. You might need to remove and replace the iconography and the "Best of Show" rosettes.

You might inspire me to finish mine off.
horridperson
mad scientist

Doing the Will of The Horned Cat

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »

Nothing in half measure Predatorpt Cheesy !  You did go all in.  I have been having a wicked 40k modelling craving for a while now and some friends have been pressuring me ( ie twisting my rubber arms) to get to some Shadow Wars and maybe a modest army as well.  I'm up in the air but sorely tempted by the Nurgle models that have been poking around but seeing a big loyalist project doesn't help me commit to a plan.  Great start to an ambitious project but I don't understand why you tear down that "pro painted" dreadnought  Laugh .

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Jump to: