lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 12:39:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by M.P.
[Today at 12:31:57 AM]

by Nord
[Today at 12:31:11 AM]

[Today at 12:24:03 AM]

[Today at 12:17:39 AM]

[Today at 12:15:42 AM]

[Today at 12:14:50 AM]

[Today at 12:08:10 AM]

[Today at 12:08:09 AM]

[Today at 12:01:15 AM]

[April 27, 2017, 11:53:56 PM]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Necropolis: TabletopToReign's Mausoleum Board (4/14: Enchanter Sculpt)  (Read 3740 times)
TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »

I'll take 6 crypts and a mausoleum please!  Love

I have to finish designing first! Thanks though! I am intrigued at the possibility of doing a short run of resin from some 3D printed masters.
Daniel36
scientist

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous work!
Stubaru
student

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »

I have to finish designing first! Thanks though! I am intrigued at the possibility of doing a short run of resin from some 3D printed masters.

As long as I'm part of the short run, I shall wait patiently Smiley
schoon
Supporting Adventurer
librarian

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

It really is nice stuff. I'd be interested as well.
TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:38 AM »

Hadn't made a lot of progress this week but I had a chance this weekend to paint up the body of the building so I figured I'd show off some WIP at each of the stages along with a bit of documentation on the process. So here goes:

First up, I based out the whole thing with flat reddish tan craft paint (just the cheap Apple Barrel tube stuff from Michaels). The best thing about this was how matte the surface was.

Next, I went in and picked out some random bricks with two different lighter shades of earthtones, again with cheap craft store paints. I did two different variation shades on the walls, but only did one shade on the roof to keep the contrast down and to indicate that it maybe had a slightly different mode of construction for the roof. I also did some variation on the entry arches but didn't do much to pick out individual blocks as that seemed to be too busy to me. Finally, I took some neutral gray (this was some Army Painter tube paint of some shade or other) and traced the mortar lines on the roof - again, indicating a different mode of construction than the stacked bricks of the walls. Here's what things looked like a the end of that step:

Next up, I got things dirty with a Vallejo brown wash. I applied it pretty liberally but took some time to brush in the direction that water would flow to get a head start on the weathering and create more layers in the final product. Here's things looking muddy:

Afterwards, to dry things out a bit and add a bit more age, I went in and dry brushed pretty much the entire structure. I was using Army Painter tube paints here. "Mummy something or other" was the name - it was basically a beige. That picked out the details and made it a little more convincing as a limestone structure.

Then it was time for some final details, I went in with a few different weathering powders and added some dirt and grime following the direction that water would flow on the surface. I paid special attention to adding grime caught by the mortar lines on the roof and tried to indicate some wet areas in crevices and cracks where the entry arches meet the main body of the structure. I think I'm going to add some melting snow eventually so I used some darker browns to indicate that some of the surfaces are maybe moist with run off and melting snow and ice. I also picked out a few of the architectural details to be made of patina's bronze. In my mind, Felstad has been frozen and preserved so I was looking for things that could indicate disrepair and age without just having everything be in ruins as I'm not sure I imagine a blizzard obliterating a city as much as burying it. Anyways, I used gunmetal Vallejo paint then did a dark tone wash with Army Painter inks and then did a turquoise wash mixing a thinned down paint with some alcohol to get it to go on smoothly and break up the surface tension. Here's what the "final" product looks like so far:

Here are some different angles and a few detail shots:

I'm really enjoying the process of building this. The main structure is pretty much done. Next steps are to finalize a design for the grates and photo etch a clean set of those out of brass. I also need to design and print the doors and then get the doors and window panels painted, detailed and installed. After that I'll probably move onto some more board details:more crypts/sarcophagi, some photo etch cemetery fences, grave stones and monuments, maybe a fountain of some kind and a gnarled dead tree, possibly a ruined chapel. Then I'll need to sort out an actual board and figure out how to get all this stuff setup.

Thanks again to everyone who's been sharing positive feedback!

I'd be interested in any tips that anyone has for nice convincing snow effects. I've played around with a few things so far but haven't found something that I think is perfect yet (some experiments earlier in this thread). Veteran advice would be appreciated!
jp1885
mastermind

"An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

That's a great piece of work - the painting process sounds pretty simple, yet is very effective! Top job!

Karadek
bookworm

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »

I love it painted up.  Great job!
Mindenbrush
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »

You may not be able to get away with a short run of resin because that is EXCELLENT! Cool Cool Cool

Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
tomrommel1
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »

That looks very convincing indeed

In hoc signo vinces
Dentatus
mastermind

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »

That looks great. Simple but so effective.

schoon
Supporting Adventurer
librarian

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »

That's a fabulous piece, and thank-you for the step-by-step painting. It turned out beautifully.
Rigel
bookworm

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »

Beautiful scenery. I love the colors, the style and the weathering process!
m4jumbo
scientist

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »

Great looking piece.

So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx
devonjones
schoolboy

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »

I was just about to start designing a mausoleum to print on my prusa.  Any chance you would consider sharing the stls on thingiverse?
Ultravanillasmurf
mad scientist

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »

That is amazing.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Jump to: