lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 12:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 12:24:03 AM]

[Today at 12:17:39 AM]

[Today at 12:15:42 AM]

[Today at 12:14:50 AM]

[Today at 12:08:10 AM]

[Today at 12:08:09 AM]

[Today at 12:01:15 AM]

[April 27, 2017, 11:53:56 PM]

[April 27, 2017, 11:52:03 PM]

[April 27, 2017, 11:44:14 PM]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Necropolis: TabletopToReign's Mausoleum Board (4/14: Enchanter Sculpt)  (Read 3739 times)
YPU
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »

Good to see another Form owner on LAF! (mine a venerable form 1+)

Your Personal Undead
TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:42 PM »

Well done!

You planning to sell any of these?

Thanks! I am kind of considering investigating what a resin kit for this and some of the other pieces I have planned for the board might look like. Since I'm kind of new to the community I'm not sure what the interest would be and if it would make economic sense. I started it for my own gratification but it might be fun to do some sort of [very] small scale kickstarter or something with the mausoleum and some treasure markers and some crypts and other small pieces. I'd definitely love advice from any folks who've launched anything like that. Wargaming kickstarters seem to be pretty popular upon first glance.
TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »

That Mausoleum is ammmmmmmazing! Love Is it printed as a big solid piece? Does that not use up a lot of printer......eh.....printy stuff?

Thanks so much! Its actually 9 pieces as shown (4 wall sections, 4 entry arches and 1 roof piece) though if I end up making another I would split up how the pieces connect a bit to make it easier to assemble. All of the seams are naturally hidden so it's not too bad. The up side is that I can be pretty economical with the materials and make the walls just 2-4mm thick. The whole thing right now is probably under 200mL of resin.
TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »

Most hobbyists wouldn't have a printer the quality of the Formlabs Form 2.  Do you know if the 300 to 500 models would be able to reproduce your amazing mausoleum?

I don't think the piece as designed would survive printing on most FDM machines. It would likely lose a lot of resolution and would require supports that would mar the surface too much. I'm looking at 3D printing more as a method of making prototypes that could be cast in resin or other low cost production methods.
TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 04:35:24 AM »

I had a chance to work on things a little bit tonight. Got everything glued up except for the door/window panels for within the arches. I need to find some time this weekend to design the Bronze doors for the passage. Here's a few shots to show it from different angles now that it's more stable and movable...

You can see in the one above the hole in the roof from a partially failed print that I patched with Apoxie Sculpt and detailed to match the missing portion.

Here's a wizard's eye view:

Here's some closeups and details:

It's a small thing (punny!) but my biggest accomplishment for the night was a mostly successful chemistry experiment to create grates for the vents in the windows underneath the alcoves on the shorter corners of the building. It was actually not that bad - I followed an instructables guide I found. The hardest part about the whole thing was the weird look at the checkout when I was buying hydrogen peroxide, acetone, muriatic acid and rubbing alcohol - I'm pretty sure the cashier thought I was trying to dissolve a body.

Anyways, I took a laser printout of some grates I designed in Illustrator and used a clothes iron to transfer the pattern onto some .003" shim stock of brass, covered the back in packing tape and dunked it into the etching brew. The etch went surprisingly slowly (I was expecting it to be way faster based on the tutorial) but I think that the fume-free acid I got probably was less concentrated than what they were using. Anyways, here's what the experiment yielded:

I messed up a bit on the initial iron transfer so a few of them were a little muddy but my favorite design came out pretty well (its the one on the top left in the photo). The parts are surprisingly sturdy given the tiny bits. Here's a test fit image on the masoleum:

I think its gonna look pretty good - I think it helps to sell the scale of the blocks for the building by having something so delicate in there. I'm surprised there aren't more photo-etch parts being used in wargaming (I suppose they are a little fragile for heavy play). I'm hoping to do some cool elaborate cemetery gates and fencing for elsewhere on the board using this process.

Much less successful (or exciting) I did a few material tests yesterday with snow treatments. Playing with some flock snow and PVA combos which ended up looking pretty slushy and some casting dental stone which is a lot more promising for drifts and more fluffy stuff. In the photos, the top left of the drifts and the more opaque white on the wall are both cast dental stone with a satin varnish on them (that helps to sell the snow look in person a bit more). I tried glossy varnish too but that looks out of scale.

That's it for now. Thanks to everyone who's commented, it's great to hear from you all!
Cymril
librarian

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:58 AM »

Wonderful piece of Terrain! Cool
Randell
student

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »

I don't think the piece as designed would survive printing on most FDM machines. It would likely lose a lot of resolution and would require supports that would mar the surface too much. I'm looking at 3D printing more as a method of making prototypes that could be cast in resin or other low cost production methods.

That makes sense.  Well I don't know the size of the market on this board, but that mausoleum is great, so if you started to cast and sell pieces you would find buyers here I'm sure.  I'm pretty sure a 3d printer is close to being a must have next purchase for a lot of hobbyists in the next 18-24 months.  But I guess the market is waiting for the quality of you printer at <500.
TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 12:51:51 AM »

Quick update for today. Taking a break from the main structure to do a quick sculpt on a crypt to test out some paint effects. I'm thinking that the inspiration for the board layout will borrow from a New Orleans style cemetery with lots of narrow "lanes" populated by a bunch of crypts, sarcophagi, monuments and gravestones (and maybe a ruined chapel) so this serves as a bit of a test for the proportions on that too. If I end up doing a full scale board I imagine I may design 5 or so each of the roofs, bodies and bases for these with some add-on plaques, torches, statues, urns, etc so that I could do some quick molds that I could multicast to mix and match the parts to create a bunch of variety quickly. Here's kind of the concept/inspiration I have in mind:

Here's a few shot of the crypt with a shot of primer on it. I'll be using these to explore some bronze with patina for the doors of the mausoleum and other weathered metal bits. The images are a bit grainy but the detail came out pretty great.

Andym
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »

I like that ALOT, Shocked That's going to be an amazing board!

TabletopToReign
student

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:39 PM »

Got a chance to test out some techniques with the crypt. Pushed it a little too hard towards ruin I think - I would dial it back a little bit as a general rule next time.

I continue to be really pleased with the level of detail for terrain. I've done a few prints of some 28mm figures and I'm not as confident there though I do think that its generally more to do with the models than it is to do with the printer.
Andym
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 08:05:26 AM »

I really like that!  Love personally, if leave the stone technique as is, that's lovely. If anything, I'd maybe drybrush a little more gold over the verdigris.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:54:44 AM by Andym » Logged
The Voivod
scientist

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »

You have a very particular set of skills....

Lovely looking stuff.
And welcome on the forum.

'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'
tomrommel1
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »

great Love Love Love

In hoc signo vinces
jp1885
mastermind

"An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"