lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2017, 05:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 6592
Latest: gareth121
Stats
Total Posts: 1217468
Total Topics: 94355
Online Today: 369
Online Ever: 697
(July 31, 2016, 10:46:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 20
Guests: 220
Total: 240
Recent
[Today at 04:59:09 AM]

[Today at 04:51:09 AM]

[Today at 04:36:50 AM]

[Today at 04:17:12 AM]

[Today at 04:02:11 AM]

[Today at 03:52:45 AM]

[Today at 03:48:03 AM]

[Today at 03:46:26 AM]

[Today at 03:44:29 AM]

[Today at 03:42:20 AM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: The Hun, The Frog, & The Lion!  (Read 1593 times)
JBaumal
assistant

« on: March 14, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »

The Hun, The Frog, & The Lion! @ Recon 2017 (In May 2017 - Orlando FLA)

A Fictional Scenario For The Sword And The Flame.

The Situation

It is dawn, March 22, 1903.

Out of indigo shadows on the Mediterranean, a small force of elite Marines in long boats silently rows into the port of Mogadir, pirate capitol of the Moroccan coast. A sun baked hell hole by day, Mogadir is the lair of the infamous brigand Emir Ali-ben-Fulin-Arown who fancies himself the next Bashaw of Morocco. Besides banditry inland and all along the coast, he has lately begun stopping foreign shipping and helping himself to such cargoes as serve his schemes for power. Not incidentally, this has put the legitimate government in danger of being deposed by any of several European powers looking for an excuse to intervene and "civilize" the last independent Muslim state west of Constantinople……

Con location where we will be running this game:
http://www.hmgs-south.com/

BY JINGO – Colonial Wargames
Bearing Only The Slightest Resemblance To A Certain Well Known Film. Scenario designed by Patrick R. Wilson & Richard Houston, recently adapted by the nefarious Sgt. Guinness to suite his own misguided imagination. In addition Patrick Wilson of TVAG has been working with me to update the game maps as well as undertaking additional support and assistance with this project that he and Richard had originally completed many years ago.
You can check out Patrick's website of great hobby wares.
http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/

Check out my blog for more about this upcoming game.....
Cheers,
JB

http://sgtguinness.blogspot.com

Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »

Nice! Funnily enough I re-watched that certain well-known film this very week. Hope it all goes well for you at the convention.

It's been rather a long time, but back in the day I sent more money than I care to remember Richard's way via Patrick. Those scratch-built ships of his were just too tempting to the younger, less miserly Plynkes. Some of them even got used in games!

"Ten to make and the match to win—
An hour to play and the last man in."
JBaumal
assistant

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »

Plynkes, I too have several of Richards Ships via TVAG! Very nice indeed. I've used them many times. This scenario calls for (2) zebecs, one of them is a beautiful model of one I'd gotten from Richard at least (10) years ago! Maybe more. I will post a pic of it. The other will be a little gem that Last Stand Dan has built. I've also got an awrsome junk and great tramp steamer. And you sir???
Cheers,
JB
Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:31 PM »

Boche gunboats, mostly. One (and a bit of another) of them can be seen here (pretty old thread): http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=9457.0

But my pride and joy was the Königin Luise, mostly because she was in quite a few scrapes before she was sunk by the Belgians:

And since she's at the bottom of Lake Wittelsbach she's never going to see the light of day again (dem's da rules). Damn, those games were ten years ago.

Sorry for the derailment and departure into extremely ancient LAF territory. We should really get back to your game. Smiley

JBaumal
assistant

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »

Ha! I remember that boat! Was that the one that was on eBay?

Cheers,
JB

PS - I'll be adding bits to this post on my WIP for this game shortly.
Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »

Well I didn't get mine from eBay, I got it from Patrick at TVAG. But I've a feeling Richard may have built that particular design more than once.

Patrice
mad scientist

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »

Excellent and funny idea! Laugh

Some years ago I posted some pictures of early 20th century Moroccan soldiers; if it can be any use to you:
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=53332.0

JBaumal
assistant

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »

Patrice, thank you for that data. I will surely print some out and out in my painting file for references. Great stuff. Thank you!

The figs I will be using for the Bashaw's guard (desert strike force) will be (3) mounted units of the standard The Sword And The Flame (12) man cav units. I will have (1) European type camel unit with modern rifles, (1) native dress Black guard unit with rifles, and (1) European dressed lancer cav unit. I will post pics soon!
Cheers,
JB
Patrice
mad scientist

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

Moroccan artillery could be a nice addition on the gaming table, even if not really effective. Smiley

Those on the first picture had just suffered the French 1907 bombardment in Casablanca, they had tried to return fire...

You could also include some cavalry with your European invading forces ...however your large ships must have the necessary equipment to put the horses on smaller boats (Casablanca, 1908)...

...and then to put them on the shore you'll need some cranes on the harbour too (Casablanca, date unknown).  Laugh

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:24:37 PM by Patrice » Logged
Sir Rodney Ffing
librarian

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »

Interesting title, but not a Brexit thread after all then!
warrenpeace
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 04:35:45 AM »

Your scenario reminds me of this one:

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/windlion/windlion1.htm

Sailors have more fun!
JBaumal
assistant

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »

Patrice,

Very interesting photos! That artillery sure looks antiquated. Thanks for posting. I'm compiling a folder with the awesome pics you've been sharing. Thank you! There will certainly be more battles in Morocco!

The extent of the Bashaw’s troops for this game will be mounted units crossing the desert to secure the release of the German envoy, Graf Manfred von Kriegslieber, Kaiser Wilhelm’s favorite delivery boy.

The allied troops will be transported to a point just over the horizon from Mogadir aboard the armed transport Cité de la Meers. From there the German and French Marines will board landing boats to make shore before being spotted. There will be no allied cavalry in this game.

Cheers,
JB
JBaumal
assistant

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:46:49 PM »

warrenpeace,

You are correct sir! Similar in idea and theme, yet not quite, but that IS what the author was going for. However that movie and that website and game have inspired us to run the last battle from that most awesome movie many times. That is surely one of my top movies of all times, The Wind And The Lion Rocks!!!!

Check my blog for an AAR of when we ran that game at the first ever Colonial Barracks con in NO specializing in The Sword And The Flame rules by Larry Brom. You will have to go back to the 2014 posts to see it though. Get the rules here: http://www.sergeants3.com/

Cheers,
JB
http://sgtguinness.blogspot.com/
JBaumal
assistant

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 11:54:48 PM »

The Hun The Frog & The Lion - 2

I’ve been building, painting, and sourcing when needed because of time constraints due to real life intrusions, family, work, friends, beer rec hockey league, hockey tourney, another cool project, etc…

So here is the next installment of the preparation for my convention game coming up at Recon-17 in Florida. Check the HMGS-South website for con details.
http://www.hmgs-south.com/

The allied troops will be transported to a point just over the horizon from Mogadir aboard the armed transport Cité de la Meers. From there the German and French Marines will board landing boats to make shore before being spotted.

For the part of the French armed transport which will bring the allied Marines and long boats I shall use this awesome boat. It's my favorite piece of this entire project. The awesome gunboat is designed and made by my buddy Dan at Last Stand Dan’s Boatyard. It’s a wooden handmade R Class Gunboat which will play the part of the armed French transport, the Cité de la Meers!   Check out Dan's blog for details, AAR's, WIP, etc...        http://laststanddan.blogspot.com/

The “Ocean” will be Aspen Grey 18x18” floor tiles from Lowes.

The market place will be made up of market stalls that I’ve made myself using bamboo skewers and coffee stir sticks.

If I can’t make more in time I may supplement with some of the small Miniature Building Authority market stalls.
(http://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10147)

My excellent gun pits and rough ground pieces were made by Bill’s Gamers Garage (wdaniel994@comcast.net).

The beach and land (reference the game map pic from earlier post) will be my ancient arid / desert drop cloth which has seen the blood of many a lead soldier!

Stay tuned for part III. Meet The Hun, The Frog, & The Lion ……..

Cheers,
JB
sgtguinness.blogspot.com

RichBliss
student

With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 01:16:00 AM »

Oh, very nice. I'm running a colonial attack the fort scenario as well at Little Wars.  One question, how did you do the cloth roofs on the trade stands. I've been trying to capture the same look with little success.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: