lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2017, 05:47:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 05:45:55 PM]

[Today at 05:44:58 PM]

[Today at 05:36:09 PM]

[Today at 05:32:49 PM]

[Today at 05:14:44 PM]

[Today at 05:14:01 PM]

by Agis
[Today at 05:05:59 PM]

[Today at 04:58:22 PM]

[Today at 04:57:11 PM]

[Today at 04:53:17 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help - Manyema Warriors - what did they look like?  (Read 370 times)
Dr. Moebius
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

- per aspera ad astra -

« on: March 02, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »

Hello Gentlemen,

for my Congo Arab army I like to include Manyema warriors. Though what would be the historically right choice of Darkest Africa Foundry miniatures for them?

Does someone out there have some pictures that depict them?

Many thanks.

Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »

Pre-Arab influence (pre-1880s) I think the "silly hairdo" tribal figures are the closest (the ones with all the crazy spikes and shit) and the big square shields that look like they're made from planks of wood. Armament is a spear.

Under Arab influence (1880s-1890s) just your bog-standard Wangwana askari types (African guy with a bath-towel around his waist and a musket), or possibly some of the more African-looking of the Arab figures. Arab fashion influence seems to have totally over-written the native stylings of the guys who fought for the Arabs.

You could mix and match the above two types for a kind of "transition period" approach. The Foundry book on Central Africa has three types and plenty of crazy hairstyle suggestions. One of the fellows depicting the later dress actually looks like he's going to a fancy dress party as a pirate (he has a musket pistol and a headscarf and everything, all he's lacking is a wooden leg, hook and an eye-patch).

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:00:29 PM by Plynkes » Logged

"Ten to make and the match to winó
An hour to play and the last man in."
Dr. Moebius
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

- per aspera ad astra -

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »

Cheers Plynkes,

that's a very helpfull and detailed answer.

In 'Death in the dark Continent' one can field up to nine units of 'Wangwana' (swahili and 'freed' slaves) armed with muskets. So I already started to paint up the bath towel askari guys and mix them up with some more less fashioned Ruga Ruga's and the more poor looking arab figures from the range.

The Manyema choice is marked as warriors, so that means spear and shield and no muskets.
I think it makes sense to field the warriors only before 1880 and just go for the Wangwana after that. Maybe the Wangwana troop choice could also be assimilated Manyema during the period after 1880.

Makes sense?
Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:46:27 PM »

Yep, makes perfect sense.

The Manyema sculpted their hair into "cones", "plates" and "flakes" using clay. The cones are reasonably similar to the ones in this pack -

The sculpted hair is lightly-hued in the picture, I think meant to be the colour of the clay, rather than the hair itself. The loin-cloths these guys are wearing look about right, too.

This is the kind of shield they used, it would seem (described as similar to Mangbetu shields - the Mangbetu painted their shields with designs like the one my figure below has, but I don't know if the Manyema did the same or not):

Finally this guy's hair is almost identical to one of the examples of Manyema hairstyles, except the one in the picture has no feather:

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:49:21 PM by Plynkes » Logged
Dr. Moebius
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

- per aspera ad astra -

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »

Jep,

that helps a lot. Thanks Plynkes.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:55:12 PM by Dr. Moebius » Logged
Dr. Moebius
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

- per aspera ad astra -

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »

Ooh,

forgot about it. Is there any information about war paint, body painting? Or just the typical fashion of scars as a lot of central african people had?

Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:51 PM »

No mention of body painting or scarification, just the sculpting of hair with clay. One other detail I have is that the chiefs replaced their loin cloths with long kilts of 'gaily-coloured' cloth.

Dr. Moebius
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

- per aspera ad astra -

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:24:21 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: