lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 12:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 12:42:24 AM]

[Today at 12:40:04 AM]

by M.P.
[Today at 12:31:57 AM]

by Nord
[Today at 12:31:11 AM]

[Today at 12:24:03 AM]

[Today at 12:17:39 AM]

[Today at 12:15:42 AM]

[Today at 12:08:10 AM]

[Today at 12:08:09 AM]

[Today at 12:01:15 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A Brief Diversion into 40mm scale Dark Ages  (Read 1058 times)
Lost Egg
assistant

« on: February 28, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »

Hi all, I've been working on my own game idea, Age of Bronze, for a few years and though I was thinking of 28mm I've recently been toying with the idea of starting in 40mm scale so I thought I'd grab a handful of minis just to see what they are like. I am also kinda tempted to make a whole SAGA force in 40mm so this should give me enough time to get the painted before Salute incase I decide to pick up more minis.

Anyway, though my own game is set in the early european bronze age there aren't any minis available anymore; Monolith Designs did sell some but they have since ceased trading. In the end I decided to grab some of the England Invaded minis from Hoka Hey Wargaming. I ordered the Pict Noble and a pack of Saxon Warriors; the customer service was brilliant, Alan is a great chap.

So my plan here is to check out the scale and then if I like them, actually try to sculpt some minis of my own for Age of Bronze. First things first though, I need to build and paint my new 40mm minis.

Here's a few pics...

AS you can see I've already started on the Pict Noble. The casts are great with only a bit of pitting on the horse, which will be covered by the rider anyway, so that will actually help the glue bond.  I can already see the minis have a great sense of presence; interestingly though the noble towers over
the Eldar Guardian and the Wargames Factory Numidian (both 28mm scale(ish)) he's pretty much the same height as a Stormcast mini (not shown). So 40mm is GWs new fantasy scale...?

My next step then is to finish building these fellas up then I can crack out the paints.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:14:53 AM by Lost Egg » Logged
Lost Egg
assistant

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »

Well, progress is slower than I'd like...

The Pict Chieftain has a couple of little hollows in the casting I had to fill with GS, I also had to fill in some dings in the hands. The saddle kinda floated so I used GS to help ground it to the horse. The chieftain's sword was missing a pommel so I had to GS one.

The Saxons have been tidied up and as with the chieftain I slapped on a bit of GS to hide the integral base they came with. Hopefully this week I can get all the weapons fixed and start painting.
SotF
scientist

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:06:08 AM »

Well, if nothing else, with larger scales than you normally work with, the minis can be repurposed as workable statuary if you don't like the results...

They're tempting me though...
1amaloney
lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »

Sash and Saber also has a 40mm range you maybe interested in.

http://www.sashandsaber.com/catalog40DAR.php4
Lost Egg
assistant

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »

@Sotf - There is always a bit of space in my display cabinet Cheesy

@1amaloney - I've seen those they are cool. It's a shame they don't sell them in smaller packs.

I finally finished putting them all together!

I've included a GW Stormcast to give a sense of their scale, just for interest.

I also managed to finish sculpting a new spear as the javelin looked more like a Roman plum to me...

I think the new hand is a little big but when I held it up to the original it looked must the same.
Lost Egg
assistant

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »

The Pict Warlord is finished Cheesy

The glare of the flash is a bit harsh so not all the highlights are showing up. Part of me thinks I should have painted his eyes but to be honest I'm not sure the sculpt is really up to that. These guys were quite fun to paint. I will be starting the Saxons at some point but first I want to build up my Bloodaxe kill team for Shadow War.
NickNascati
mastermind

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 02:58:35 AM »

40mm is a great scale, wonderful to paint and take up about the same space as heroic 28mm.  Check out miniatureservicecenter.com and look at their Vanguard Medievals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: