lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2017, 12:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 12:47:06 AM]

[Today at 12:46:41 AM]

[Today at 12:37:50 AM]

[Today at 12:32:49 AM]

[Today at 12:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:26:46 AM]

[Today at 12:23:58 AM]

[Today at 12:18:02 AM]

[Today at 12:14:47 AM]

[Today at 12:09:59 AM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Afghan/NWF Hill Tower PAINTED (3/11/17)  (Read 1479 times)
Mad Guru
scientist

« on: February 21, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »

Just posted on my blog about the tower of the title, which I kind of fell into building without having planned it out much.

It's still unpainted, but I've been working on it for a couple of months so felt like being pretty much done with the construction part was cause for both rejoicing and sharing with the outside world.  

As is often the case with me, I took WAY WAY too many photos during the course of the build, and posted almost all of them on my blog.  If that doesn't scare you away, please come by and visit for a more detailed visual record of the somewhat slapdashed process.

BLOG LINK: http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-accidental-hill-fort.html

In the meantime, here's some highlights:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:40:31 AM by Mad Guru » Logged

"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"
marianas_gamer
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

Wow! Love it and all the disreputable rogues infesting it! No such thing as too many pictures of a build like this Love Love Love
LB

Deedles
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »

looking good

Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/
Sir Rodney Ffing
librarian

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »

Wow!  Hard to believe it started out so downright crappy, but ended up looking like that.  Very impressed, and I only wish I had your patience and skill at scratch building. 
wulfgar22
mad scientist

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »

Wot he (Sir Rodney Ffing) said!  Love

Wirelizard
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Needs More Zeppelin!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:17:20 PM »

That looks fantastic, and that Cooch stone sheet stuff is a nice find. I think I have to wander over to our local model railroad/hobby shop and see if they carry that stuff.

I especially like that it's entirely separate from the underlying hill so you can still use just the hill by itself as needed.

Rich H
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »

Great work!
Andrei1975
bookworm

Пыль шагающих сапог

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »

It's like always looks great. Bravo.

Vagabond
mad scientist

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »

Well I'm pleased someone said it before me, I started looking through the pics and thought what a load of c**p and finished thinking - this is brilliant. Love

It's a bit like the little lad who rang his Dad at work and said Dad - I was playing football and you know the big picture window, well I've broken the little one next to it.

I don't normally frequent this board, looks like I have been missing a lot. I like your terrain board as well, nice colour tones on it and the tufts add alot to the look of it. I want to do a board to suit the US south west for western games and this looks the part. Do you have other pics posted. - I know I could search but a bit lazy.

Cheers

Mad Guru
scientist

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 01:51:37 AM »

Thanks very much for all the positive feedback, guys, even that which came as a surprise after thinking it would deserve negative feedback!

@Marianas: glad to see my cast of disreputable rogues appeals to you!

@Deedles: thanks!

@Sir Rodney: I appreciate the compliment and your use of "cr*%%y" did make me laugh, sir!

@Wulfgar: ditto to above!

@Wirelizard: here in the USA, most if not all model RR shops stock those bendable Cooch stone sheets.  I've used them before and IMHO they're quite excellent -- and I agree, keeping the tower REMOVABLE was a big win for me, though it did make building it much more difficult.

@Rich & Andrei: thank you very much, you are both too kind!

@Vagabond: Glad to hear you like my terrain boards.  I built them way back in 2010, for the 130th anniversary of the battle of Maiwand.  In fact, though built for Afghanistan, having driven around much of the Southwestern US, I would agree they would serve well as terrain for some of the Indian Wars.  In fact, I also used them for several Camerone games, needless to say set in Mexico.

The basic color scheme consists of 3 colors:

1) base coat of BROWN (it's an off-the-shelf shade from Home Depot, but very close to CraftSmart "Brown";

2) heavy dry-brush of HONEYCOMB (caramel color from Delta Ceramcoat craft paints);

3) highlight of SANDSTONE (pale sand color from Delta Ceramcoat craft paints).

Other colors used on various terrain features for the same table, such as dry water courses, rocks, and hills, include:

4) MUDSTONE (drab gray-brown from Delta Ceramcoat)

5) FAWN (darkish khaki color from Americana craft paints)

Here's a LINK to a post I did a little over 2 years ago, about building a river board to match with this same ground cover:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2014/12/form-of-kabul-river-ii.html

As usual with my blog, it has a ton of pics, but here's one to give you an idea:

If you're interested in the rocky hills, here's a link to the tutorial I posted when I built my first -- and probably still best -- one:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2012/01/afghannwf-rocky-hill-goes-vertical-back.html

Last but not least, re: the "tufts" of scrub brush... they are sprigs of plastic artificial greenery, plucked off the plastic branch, given a wash of Delta Ceramcoat ANTIQUE GOLD.  Bought at Michael's arts & crafts stores, Simple and inexpensive but effective.  Glad you like them!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:55:31 AM by Mad Guru » Logged
Vagabond
mad scientist

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 09:05:39 AM »

Thanks - I will read through when I have a bit more time, looks good though Smiley
Sparrow
scientist

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 07:28:36 PM »

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!
JBaumal
assistant

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 04:46:49 AM »

MG, another awesome build! This piece is excellent, the WIP is so detailed, truly inspirational. My involvement in this project was minimal at best, simply supportive. Its hard to believe you actually made this tower removable from the hill. I'm really looking forward to the finished painted version. I can't wait to either attack or defend this structure in a game the near future.....

Cheers,
JB

Mad Guru
scientist

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 06:39:47 AM »

@Sparrow: You are very welcome, and thanks very much for the kind words!

@JB: My friend, the feeling is mutual!  Can't wait for you (and Danny Boy) to attack or defend it as well!

@Vagabond: Hope the terrain board painting tutorial was of some use -- speaking of which, PAINTING is what brings me back to this thread, as I just put up a new post on my blog re: painting my Afghan/NWF Hill Tower/Mud Fort.

I am very happy with how it turned out.  Here's a LINK to the post showing some photos of the finished piece on my blog...

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2017/03/tower-of-paint.html  

...and here's a few teaser pics:

Hope you like the pics, and if you decide it's worth your time to visit my blog and see a few more, THANKS in advance for doing so!

...and here's another handy link, to save you having to scroll back up on this thread:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2017/03/tower-of-paint.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:44:15 AM by Mad Guru » Logged
Sparrow
scientist

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »

Looks brilliant  Love
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: