lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2017, 03:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

[Today at 03:14:15 PM]

[Today at 03:09:05 PM]

[Today at 03:03:17 PM]

[Today at 03:00:25 PM]

[Today at 02:59:40 PM]

[Today at 02:58:07 PM]

[Today at 02:57:19 PM]

[Today at 02:45:53 PM]

[Today at 02:45:31 PM]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 8040 times)
Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »

It might make a more level playing field, but for my money it would be a much less interesting contest. The vignettes are what makes LPL such a fun experience for me. I really look forward to seeing what folks have come up with. If they were banned I think I would probably stop following it altogether. Sifting through 50 groups of five figures in a little neat row isn't very appealing at all. I want to see what people have imagined around them.

Besides, I really don't think that a poor, unskilled or rushed paint job is going to beat a top-drawer one just because it has been set in a little scene. It's more likely to be a tie-breaker between two closely-matched entries, and I think in that case the person who has put in more effort deserves the win.

Maybe I'm just being selfish because I love the vignettes, but that's how I feel. Smiley

"Ten to make and the match to win—
An hour to play and the last man in."
Dr Mathias
LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »

I've been schooled by plain background entries a few times. I would suggest that minis-only entries fight an uphill battle against the 'wow' effect of an overall scene- but on the flip side, using a setting can distract and in some cases the figures are further back in the picture plane and the detail is lost, so the 'team' suffers for it.

… a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Wirelizard
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Needs More Zeppelin!

« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »

I mean is it a painting contest or a terrain/setting contest?

Yes.

And a photography contest, you missed that element.

Please, no more restrictions on LPL entries. The "no multiple viewpoints/collage entries" rule is already aggravating enough and has taken a lot of the point away from the bump in image dimensions up to 1000x1000px from 800x800.

mikedemana
mastermind

Investigating curiosities around the globe...

« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2017, 03:59:03 AM »

Some of us mid-tier painters NEED the scene bonus... Laugh

Seriously, not to beat this topic to death, but I love, love, love the scenes each Sunday! I honestly would not really participate or watch if it was 5 figures on a black background or whatever. It simply would not be as interesting, IMO.

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Argonor
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!

Location: A secret lab in The Middle of Nowhere, Funen, Denmark

« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2017, 10:30:29 PM »

My notification mails were also both blank, without any content (just received the second, half an hour ago or so).

I do not use hotmail, but the largest Danish web-provider, YouSee (formerly TDC).

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84
Dolmot
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2017, 12:00:30 AM »

I love the LPL and the level of painting is up and up every year Love but I'm beginning to think the judging should be against a plain background.

Heh, this is probably one of the top five recurring topics. We even went through it this year too. Smiley

I mean is it a painting contest or a terrain/setting contest?

Well, I'm not an organiser but to me it's:

1) an incentive to get something built, painted and photographed,
2) an excuse to put together an interesting display and show it to people, and
3) a chance to ogle ~40 similar setups weekly.

Mainly 1), though. I guess there's a contest too, but I rank completing painting projects higher than internet points. If I took the points very seriously, I'd have to slave throughout the year instead of just finishing whatever feels about right in spring along other commitments.

Some of the painters here may not have the terrain or the extra time to devote to the setting while their painting is clearly excellent.

There's no denying that a fancy scene looks pretty, gets praise and scores points. It's also very true that if you don't already have suitable terrain, it can be next to impossible to squeeze in a new terrain project along the main entry, photo editing/submitting and whatnot. Some painters don't even want to buy terrain elements or have a pile of them in their closets if the only use would be LPL. Conversely, if you have even the basics for a couple of typical environments, the fancy scene may almost build itself. Entering without any or improvising with next to none is playing in hard mode.

And still, I'm one of those who really love how LPL offers a rare chance to give your team a background and a setting, both literally and figuratively. Even if your painting isn't exactly top notch, a few terrain pieces may turn the entry into a story, which people are happy to discuss and compliment, while the minis themselves might be a bit "meh" in a police lineup arrangement.

However, I personally prefer drawing the line to excessive use of extra minis. Between terrain pieces and a team it's still clear what the actual entry is, but if the team is blended among 50 old minis from your collection, it starts to become a contest of how many extras people have managed to amass over years. Pretty, yes, but already quite far from the core concept of "paint a team, take a photo of it".

And finally...over these years, I've managed to discover a million ways to shoot myself in the foot by putting too much effort and attention into terrain, while the focus should still be on the team itself. One day I'll write a longer post about these lessons learnt, but a good rule of thumb is "if even a slightest bit in doubt, keep it simple". Smiley
TheBlackCrane
mad scientist

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

Without wanting to think my painting skills are anywhere near up there with the best, I sometimes wonder (I say this in my "vast" experience of last year's LPL and the first two rounds of this years...) whether I lose in the photography/scenery stakes more than the actual painting.

That being said, I won a couple of rounds last year with plain backgrounds, and to be honest the LPL has got me to actually invest in more scenery - even basic stuff like trees etc - so I find myself in a position where at long last I actually have potential gaming setups. To which end the scenic element of the LPL has been rather good for me - and the scenic side in everyone else's is pretty inspiring, plus I pick up ideas and such like, so all in all I think it would be the less for having no backgrounds.

Having just one photo though is best, rather than insets and alternative views and so forth - that just rewards people who know more about cameras than which way to point it and what button to click!  Laugh

I think on balance the setup of the LPL works out, and in the end it's just a bit of fun isn't it  Cheesy

Neldoreth
mad scientist

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »

I see LPL as an all around miniature painting/staging/picture/community involvement competition. The better you paint, set up, and execute an image, the more votes you'll get.

What I really like about that is that it's pretty unique. CMON does painting almost exclusively, and so I'll go there if I want strictly a painting competition. I really love the unique style of this competition, because it's not just a painting competition, but an all around competition, and it's so inspiring. So, so inspiring.

I look forward to it every year for the scenes and the narrative that people create through their images.

Thanks
n

Vonkluge
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2017, 11:07:59 PM »

Wow, hat off to all the replies!  Love It shows the class that LPF members have, as well as the respect for differing opinions! Many gave their take or opinion on my comment in a most civil and sensible way! Most other forums would have just turn straight away into a FLAME war. I do have to admit that even though I tend to favor the other side as a more even competition I must admit the I too enjoy the scenic aspect as well.... (I'm opening the Terrain Vault in the future!)

www.HistoricalHobbies.com It's not winning or losing the game that's important, It's how good your troops looked when they suffered defeat that matters!
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2017, 11:16:14 PM »

Just a reminder that...

Please note that from this round (2) onwards, we'll be closing the voting at the end of the Friday following the start of the round in question.

This is to allow enough time on the Saturday to work out the standings and thus the match pairings for the subsequent round, and then to set up all the matches. (Without having to do all that first thing on a Sunday morning!)

So basically, voting on each round will now be open for 6 days instead of 7.

...so the voting will be closed tonight / first thing tomorrow, to allow us a day to reconcile the results and set up for Round 3.

So if you haven't voted yet, please go and do so in the next few hours...  Smiley

Ray Rivers
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »

...so the voting will be closed tonight / first thing tomorrow, to allow us a day to reconcile the results and set up for Round 3.

From an administrative viewpoint, closing the voting on Friday will make a huge difference for the administrators of the league.

Seems a rather obvious and necessary change actually.
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »

Round 3 is now live for your voting delectation and delight  Smiley

Participants, please remember you need to get your Round 4 entries in by the end of this coming Friday at the latest (so far, I've only received 10 Round 4 teams out of 38!)

If you don't submit a new team, your Round 3 team will roll forward to Round 4 (where it will probably lose, because - rightly or wrongly - the voting LAF public tend not to favour repeat entries... )

Also remember - voting on each round now closes last thing Friday night, ahead of the start of the next round on Sunday.
Overlord
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Top Geezer

« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »

Participants, please remember you need to get your Round 4 entries in by the end of this coming Friday at the latest (so far, I've only received 10 Round 4 teams out of 38!)

15. Timings, Registration and Deadlines
The first round of LPL11 will open for voting on Sunday 2nd April, 2017.
Entries to any round must be received by 12.00 GMT on the Friday before the next round opens on the Sunday.

Is the final deadline for submission 12.00 GMT or 2359 GMT Friday?  Just in case, as I have limited time this coming week...  Confused

2017 Lead Tally: Acq: 000 Ptd: 63  Total: +63
2016 Lead Tally: Acq: 330 Ptd: 74  Total: -256
2009-15 Tally:  Acq: 1087 Ptd: 433 Total: -654
mikedemana
mastermind

Investigating curiosities around the globe...

« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »

Wow, hat off to all the replies!  Love It shows the class that LPF members have, as well as the respect for differing opinions! Many gave their take or opinion on my comment in a most civil and sensible way! Most other forums would have just turn straight away into a FLAME war.

Agreed, 100%!

Also, sometimes it is simply being creative with what you have -- even if it is not the right period of scenery. For example, my gladiator "arena" is simply French & Indian War stockades with sand pour on the ground in front of it. I don't have appropriate arena scenery, but you can "suggest" it with just some simple scenic bits. The figures get them thinking that way, and then you just need a couple things for their mind to complete the scene.

Great discussion, by the way!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »

15. Timings, Registration and Deadlines
The first round of LPL11 will open for voting on Sunday 2nd April, 2017.
Entries to any round must be received by 12.00 GMT on the Friday before the next round opens on the Sunday.

Is the final deadline for submission 12.00 GMT or 2359 GMT Friday?  Just in case, as I have limited time this coming week...  Confused

Hi Paul  Smiley
I won't prepare the matches until Saturday, so as long as you can let me have your entry by the end of Friday - or before I wake up on Saturday - that's fine.
I appreciate I put 12.00 Midday in the rules, but I'll amend those to 12 Midnight to give people a bit more leeway.
Earlier would obviously be better if possible, so I can load as many photos to the gallery in advance as possible.

Cheers

Richard
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Jump to: