lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 23, 2017, 09:18:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 09:16:13 AM]

[Today at 09:08:35 AM]

[Today at 09:08:31 AM]

[Today at 09:06:49 AM]

[Today at 09:06:48 AM]

[Today at 09:01:16 AM]

[Today at 08:59:53 AM]

[Today at 08:57:57 AM]

[Today at 08:52:51 AM]

[Today at 08:43:47 AM]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES  (Read 4806 times)
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 12:36:01 AM »

Yes, it's open to interpretation. Whatever theme you choose, it's open to interpretation  Smiley
This possibly slightly more than most, I do appreciate. But feel free to keep asking, and I'll let you know. It's not a problem.

The Prof has found a Warhammer 40K reference which does indeed state that Necromunda Ratskins are a tribe, so they're in!

Zulus are a people, that's true. A mighty people. But since they fit most people's image of African tribal warriors, rightly or wrongly they're in, along with any other African tribes you can think of  Smiley

Basement Dweller
librarian

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »

The Prof has found a Warhammer 40K reference which does indeed state that Necromunda Ratskins are a tribe, so they're in!

Woohoo!

Thanks for checking.  I will get filing mold lines and basing my poor old ratskins who finally get to see the light of day.

Jagannath
scientist

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 12:55:10 AM »

I'm sorry, I've got another Q:

- there's a lot of 6mm on my desk at the no, does (for example) 3 stands of infantry and 2 tanks (i.e. 5 'bases' of miniatures) count? Or 5 tanks?

...I don't think I've ever seen any 6mm in the LPL?

Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »

You can enter just five 1/300 scale / 6mm figures if you like. Or five tanks or other models.
Tanks might be in with a chance against the larger scale miniatures that most people enter - 28mm in the main, although plenty of other scales do make an appearance from time to time.
But 6mm figures are rather unlikely to stand much chance in a match up against 28mm or 15mm figures.
It's entirely up to you, of course.
It's meant to be fun and enjoyable, and to put on a show for the viewing pleasure of the forum. But it is a competition format, so there is a kind of responsibility on participants to make their entries plausibly competitive.
Not sure that five 6mm figures would be.
There again, five figures or models is a Minimum. There's nothing to stop you entering an entire 6mm army! Maybe that would give five larger scale miniatures a run for their money Smiley
Hammers
Amateur papiermachiéer
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Workbench and Pulp Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »

Given this here discussion, the Round 1 theme seems a bit obscure to me, especially when it comes to fantasy tribes people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalism
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:28:53 AM by Hammers » Logged

Nord
mad scientist

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »

More esoteric than obscure, such fun.

According to the all knowing wikipedia, Picts were a tribal confederation of peoples. Good enough for me.
Nord
mad scientist

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »

If I paint a cannon with four crew men, does that constitute a team of five?
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »

If I paint a cannon with four crew men, does that constitute a team of five?

Yes. A team is composed of a minimum of five figures or models. So four figures plus a model artillery piece would be a valid team of five figures/models.

The exception, as per the rules, is vehicles, whereby a vehicle and driver figure count as one item, not two.
But a vehicle (with or without driver) plus four more figures would be a valid team.
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »

Given this here discussion, the Round 1 theme seems a bit obscure to me, especially when it comes to fantasy tribes people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalism

True, but we're not going to be too pernickety about it Peder  Smiley
Of course it's very hard to define. So where participants want to enter a team which is not obviously tribesmen, from obvious historical / fictional tribes that most people would instantly recognise as a tribal culture or people, we just have to make a judgement on a case by case basis. So feel free to keep asking  Smiley

I accept that this theme is much easier for people using a historical team, than for fantasy / sci-fi. There again the round 10 theme is very much easier for fantasy / sci-fi enthusiasts, so hopefully it's a reasonable balance Smiley

Yes, Picts qualify. The concept of 'Pictish tribes' is referenced all over the place.
Michi
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Hoist the colours!

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »

"Cave Girls" converted with shields and spears as Lost World Tribeswomen.  Would these count for the bonus?  (As I just happen to be converting them now... Roll Eyes )

I look most forward to see what you will do...  Cheesy

Hammers
Amateur papiermachiéer
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Workbench and Pulp Moderator

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »

True, but we're not going to be too pernickety about it Peder  Smiley
Of course it's very hard to define. So where participants want to enter a team which is not obviously tribesmen, from obvious historical / fictional tribes that most people would instantly recognise as a tribal culture or people, we just have to make a judgement on a case by case basis. So feel free to keep asking  Smiley

I accept that this theme is much easier for people using a historical team, than for fantasy / sci-fi. There again the round 10 theme is very much easier for fantasy / sci-fi enthusiasts, so hopefully it's a reasonable balance Smiley

Yes, Picts qualify. The concept of 'Pictish tribes' is referenced all over the place.

Fair enough. As usual it is always best to get a individual ruling if one is in doubt.
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:46 PM »

Indeed. And if we didn't have the bonus round themes to minutely dissect, what would we all have to talk about in the long run-up to the LPL itself?  Laugh

It's all part of the fun  Smiley
Jagannath
scientist

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

Excellent - thanks for above. I did mean 5 bases of 6mm (so 25 odd blokes).
Calimero
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »

…So feel free to keep asking  Smiley

Ok, Kobold don’t count as a Tribe. That’s fine. Would they count for round 10 if they are accompanied by a dragon?

Again, according to Wikipedia, they are a "tribe" of dog-like, humanoid creature akin to dragons… Wink

Sorry, I am pulling your leg, but, it does come from a genuine question… Laugh
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »

You could definitely do five small dragons and a great big dragon.

I always thought in D&D terms kobolds were a kind of small, animal-faced goblin. Nothing remotely like a dragon...
In mythology, a kobold is just another kind of sprite.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Jump to: