lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2017, 08:41:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 08:32:19 PM]

[Today at 08:30:37 PM]

[Today at 08:29:28 PM]

[Today at 08:28:59 PM]

[Today at 08:24:25 PM]

[Today at 08:24:16 PM]

[Today at 08:20:15 PM]

[Today at 08:16:21 PM]

[Today at 08:14:08 PM]

[Today at 08:09:10 PM]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Author Topic: [Nam 68] Platoon - UD 27/4 final AAR of first game  (Read 6036 times)
Mad Lord Snapcase and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Silent Invader
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »

Good point, thanks  Smiley I shall experiment  Wink

Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »

Lush - in every way Cheesy

The Army Painter washes are less shiny than the GW ones, but if you use them neat or in any degree of concentration, they still dry slightly shiny.
There again you could always give them a spray of matt varnish afterwards I guess.

Silent Invader
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »

Thanks again for the advice  Smiley

All set up as a 4' by 3' table ready for a game tomorrow:

The scenario will be:

Vietnam, January 1968. Broadly following the line of the river, a US Infantry patrol must traverse the length of the table. Helicopter transport is unavailable but medevac can be called-in if necessary. However, at this point the patrol is not expecting significant contact with VC forces though the presence of mines and possibly snipers is always likely.

It'll be played using the rules I've been working on, mainly to test out remote devices (mines that will be randomly generated as the patrol progresses) and managing a NPF (the VC sniper) as it'll be a solo game.
Elk101
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »

That is very nice Steve. The brown river is particularly effective.

Mr. Peabody
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Canuck Amok

« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »

This is truly fine. Looking forward to finding out how the game went.  Love

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!
Silent Invader
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2017, 07:10:04 PM »

Thanks chaps. I just finished turn 4 (it's all very leisurely as I do like to soak up the visuals as I go along!) and the Platoon having entered down the scree slope at bottom left is hunkered in the soft cover of the trees awaiting the next turn for some long range shots on the VC sniper who has edged behind a big pile of rocks (in the centre 2nd from top tile). Having used range and soft cover to screen the platoon's movements, S/Sgt Barnes just called in Fire Support right on top of the sniper who is now wounded and so drops an Action Dice from D10 to D6, which will cost her a lot of her shooting advantage.

One solo downside is that, having been so involved in getting into position to winkle out the sniper, a couple of times I've forgotten to test for mines as the Platoon moves forward.

I'll post a full report idc.
Dr De'Ath
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »

Just sat and read this entire thread which I'd missed up until now.

I have to take my hat off to you Steve, the level of commitment you have to your projects is amazing.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com
Mason
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Eternal Butterfly!

« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »

I have to take my hat off to you Steve, the level of commitment you have to your projects is amazing.

Indeed.
His level of 'commitment' is something that has always worried me too.
 Cheesy

Silent Invader
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2017, 09:28:45 PM »

Replying in reverse order....

Paul, thanks (I think  Cheesy)

Mark, thanks  Cheesy. To be honest I'm really into the plastics at the mo: the amount of choice is staggering. It's a lot of fun being able to build a really personal project. I've just bought the parts for the rest of the Platoon and perhaps also Joker and Raptorman from FMJ (plus a few more bits to add to my soon to be painted FIW collection  Wink). The rules also seem to be coming together nicely.

Anyways, no more battling tonight so here's a taster shot of the VC sniper hunkers down behind rocks with Elias' squad visible in the soft cover of the trees. Both are in as good positions as they can be so what happens next will depend on the order of activation.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:41:58 PM by Silent Invader » Logged
Digits
scientist

« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »

Atmospheric pic right there!

Join the BEST regiment in the army of Parliament and fight the length and breadth of these fair isles!

http://www.earlofmanchesters.co.uk
Silent Invader
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »

Thanks  Cheesy

Played four more turns this evening, which takes me to the end of 8, which has Sgt Elias out at the front of the Platoon, at the half way point. Why is Sgt Elias out at the front, taking point for his First Squad? Because the Platoon got tangled in the restricted terrain of the slope and the trees with the VC sniper blocking the front, Big Harold was then hit, and a couple of claymore booby-traps had to be avoided.

After Big Harold got hit King Pin opened up with the pig on the sniper causing a wound, which further reduced her from a D6 to a D4, then  it fell to Elias to seize the initiative and move forward to the front and use his superior shooting skills to get the kill. 

S/Sgt Barnes is now rejigging the order of march, so Sgt O'Neils Second Squad is in the throes of leap frogging the First to get in front. This is because helicopter medevac isn't available (I don't have the model!) and so the rest of  First Squad's Alpha  Fire Team is carrying Harold who is being tended by Doc.

Meanwhile, First's Bravo Fire Team of Gator and King Pin have dropped back to pop grenades into a spider hole that has appeared in the rear. Though they've eliminated what could have been a serious threat in the next turn, a downside is that they are now out of Elias' command range and so First Squad will be required to activate in at least two parts rather than as a whole, which increases the likelihood of random mines, etc.

Barnes does his shouty thing (Sgt O'Neil is moving forward to the right):

Chris and Sandy carry out the casualty Harold, who is tended by Doc (note claymore marker at top left; its facing rearwards):

Gator and King Pin each drop a grenade into the spider hole, eliminating its occupant (note the claymore at bottom left):

von Lucky
galactic brain

« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »

Nice photos. You certainly don't do things by halves.

- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen
Mason
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Eternal Butterfly!

« Reply #132 on: Today at 12:21:48 AM »

Great stuff, Steve.
 Smiley

These close in shots are showing the variety of colours that you have going on on these boards..
I like that.
 Cool Cool

Silent Invader
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #133 on: Today at 09:42:40 AM »

Thanks chaps. Though TBH the photos didn't come out as well as I'd have liked. Taken under lights, the shadows were hard to beat so I adjusted the brightness a bit.  Smiley
Dr. Zombie
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #134 on: Today at 10:17:43 AM »

I love it.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Jump to: