I spent today working on the maneuvering thrusters, which gradually progressed from standard building, to annoying, to cursing.
First, the thruster element sat a little too high, making it look like the capsule was too wide to clear the iris. I took the pods to my workplace and used the belt sander to sand them down. Then I glued them in place and primed the pods.
When I got home, I discovered the pods wouldn't slip into the arms without some serious wiggling, which was scratching off primer and would surely scrape off the paint. I had glued the thrusters too far toward the middle of the capsule.
Naturally, my glue job was a good one and prying off the thrusters was not an easy task- I'd scraped the glue point to help the bond.
Much to my chagrin the glue point tore off the underlying pod in some cases, and left an unsightly mark in every case. Anyway, now I'm cutting thin plasticard to cover the blemishes. The pic shows the thrusters in the new position.
Until today I thought the hard stuff was done