So, having thought I would have January off we have been hit by our worst winter, cold and snow, in 31 years. This project languished while I either didn't have time or was too tired (ever try digging 200 bison out of a snow drift?), but with the deadline looming I spent last night plunging ahead.
The canopy and visible cockpit had to be ditched, there just isn't time to do an interior.
The core of the ship was made with a Styrofoam half sphere and the rest so far with craft foam.
I began covering the Styrofoam with craft foam panels. I had no templates and some of the cuts aren't quite right, but it'll work. I found simply worrying the craft foam was a better way to form it into a curve than heat but it still needed help to get it to stay. The solution I came up with was nails pressed into the underlying Styrofoam.
The two front legs are stolen from a plastic MechWarrior mech. To keep them from breaking off during storage they will attach with magnets to bolts inserted into the ship.
The beginnings of the ship engines. They are cheap kazoos attached to washers. They too will be held on magnetically and attached to some Reaper bases with magnets glues to the side of the ship.
And slowly it begins to take shape. The rear still needs finished, a few more front panels need to be added and then detailing can be thought about.
The damage from trying to use the heat gun to shape the foam is visible as a warping of the sides. Serendipitously this actually adds to the beat up character I was looking for.