The last two weeks have been something of a blur. On 1st January, my son, in England, informed us that his wife was going into hospital to have her baby 2 weeks early. My wife found the first available flight and flew to London early the following morning. Late evening on the 2nd, our first Grandchild was born. I also went to England to visit my new grandson.
With all this going on, I only started the build yesterday (14th January).
This project is a challenge as it is 10mm and I normally work in 28mm. Normally, my 10mm scenery is very basic. For the competition, I plan to make the Scarif landing pad based on the film but modified to be usable wargame scenery. I also plan to try new techniques by moulding parts using Milliput in simple push moulds.
The first mould is by far the biggest. I decided to make the bunker at the landing pad as a casting. On Saturday, I made the mould. This started as a “Mon Cherie” chocolates box with inlays of plywood and cardboard. I sprayed the mould with a silicon spray. I mixed ¾ of a packet of Milliput and lined the mould rather like putting pastry into a pie tin. I left it overnight.
This morning I released the cast, which also destroyed the mould. The building form looks quite good. The Milliput was old and the mixing of such a large quantity was slightly uneven. This meant that some had stuck to the mould and the surface was not as clean as I had hoped. I will have to do some filling and sanding before painting.
I now have the first part of the project.
Here is the Milliput building, the remains of the mould and the first plasticard building.