lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 4966
Latest: sauvage
Stats
Total Posts: 878937
Total Topics: 70327
Online Today: 348
Online Ever: 527
(July 06, 2014, 08:41:27 PM)
Users Online
Users: 16
Guests: 238
Total: 254
Recent
[Today at 03:23:24 AM]

[Today at 03:02:19 AM]

[Today at 02:51:16 AM]

[Today at 02:50:51 AM]

[Today at 02:46:59 AM]

[Today at 02:46:10 AM]

[Today at 02:46:04 AM]

[Today at 02:42:56 AM]

[Today at 02:34:02 AM]

[Today at 02:28:07 AM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Varnish (or not to)  (Read 5948 times)
Ssendam
librarian

« on: February 19, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »

Hi All,

New to the board ... be gentle.

I don't normally varnish my mini's as they don't get heavy use but I am thinking of doing so for some 6mm ACW stands I am painting. I have read somewhere that you should varnish gloss and then put a matt varnish on afterwards.

It that the "best practice" way of getting a matt effect?

Is varnishing worth the effort?

How good are matt varnishes in there "mattyness"?

Stay frosty

Ssendam

Nusquam est fun insquqquo vos es bonus procul is.
Orctrader
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

LPL 3 (Joint) 2nd Place

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »

My own opinion is...LINK

And welcome to this very gentle place.   Smiley

dodge
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:54:41 PM »

Agree with Orctrader,

always varnish

there is nothing more depressing than repainting chipped miniatures

dodge

http://www.dodgespaintingblog.blogspot.com/

2011 painted 35 (x.5)- purchased 48 = -30.5 (24.04.11 updated)
not too bad
Ruarigh
librarian

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:58:01 PM »

I always varnish all of my figures. Gloss varnish is meant to be harder-wearing than matt varnish so some people spray gloss first and then use matt varnish to kill the shine. You can get the same effect by using magic wash/dip. I generally only use matt varnish on 6mm figures, because I handle them by the bases rather than by the figures. I have been known to use gloss then matt on larger figures though. Of course, if you like shiny toy soldiers then you could always just use gloss varnish. Back in the early 80s when I first started painting figures, shiny figures were the accepted norm, but fashions change.

I use and really like the Coat d'Arms matt varnish. I gave up on Humbrol matt varnish a while back because they appear to have changed the formula at some point and it messed up all the figures I used it on. I cannot comment on any other matt varnishes because I do not use them.

When applying matt varnish onto a figure be careful how much you put on or you will get a milky white finish that ruins the figure. I think this is the effect of too much titanium oxide(?) which is the agent that provides the matt finish.

Hope this helps,
Ruarigh

The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.
Luthaaren Von Tegale
scientist

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »

I don't usually varnish my figures, but then again I game at home 90% of the time so the figures are not transported anywhere which I think is where most of the damage occurs.

If you are playing in a club most of the time then I'd recomend a varnish for the added protection.

Not sure that helps at all, but just my view.

vT
revford
mastermind

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »

I've always been a bit daft about varnishing, I know I should, but I don't and end up retouching chipped models all the time.

It doesn't help that I always end up playing rules that involve laying models down and play on a sand textured surface.

So I'd say, Yes, do varnish, don't be like me.  Smiley

Malamute
Prince of Darkness
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »

I always varnish with two coats. I have recently started using Windsor and Newton Galleria Matt Varnish. Its a nice true matt finish. I previously used Humbrol matt acrylic, buit the last bottles i used had a semi matt finish which I didn't like.

I remember the days of gloss varnishing everything and I think its all a matter of personal taste. I actually like gloss finish on colourful uniforms like Napoleonics, It does bring out the colours more.

I find that a coat of varnish does finish off the figure. Once the painting has finished you get varying degrees of look from the different paints and inks used, ranging from translucent, to semi gloss etc. Varnish seems to bring the whole thing together. Its hard to explain what I mean, hopefully you will understand or someone will get my gist and explain it in a simpler easier way Smiley

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing
The_Wisecrack
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »

http://www.humbrol.com/paints/modellers-spray-paint/ad6049-49-acrylic-matt-varnish-150ml-matt-modellers-spray/

i have never gone rong with this here. its pricey. but it gives the best result i find.
one problem is, if your ond't clear the nozel out properly after EVERY use. it blocks up. otherwise it provides a brilliant matt finish. (you wouldnt  know you had put it on)

MY MINIATURE PAINTING WEBSITE- www.easypainter.weebly.com
Remington
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

Who? Where? Say what now?

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 02:52:15 PM »

I found the link by orctrader very helpful. The Daler Rowney Matt Varnish is really good, although Galeria is also quite recommendable.

dodge
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »

I always varnish with two coats. I have recently started using Windsor and Newton Galleria Matt Varnish. Its a nice true matt finish. I previously used Humbrol matt acrylic, buit the last bottles i used had a semi matt finish which I didn't like.

I remember the days of gloss varnishing everything and I think its all a matter of personal taste. I actually like gloss finish on colourful uniforms like Napoleonics, It does bring out the colours more.

I find that a coat of varnish does finish off the figure. Once the painting has finished you get varying degrees of look from the different paints and inks used, ranging from translucent, to semi gloss etc. Varnish seems to bring the whole thing together. Its hard to explain what I mean, hopefully you will understand or someone will get my gist and explain it in a simpler easier way Smiley

I think he means it enrichens the colour  Grin

dodge
Ssendam
librarian

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 03:24:03 PM »

Thanks for the response everyone ...

I was thinking of the Vallejo Matt Varnish as I am using Vallejo paints. Would anyone recommend it?

And the consensus is Use varnish, but only 1 coat of Matt for 6mm figures?

Stay Frosty
Froggy the Great
scatterbrained genius

...let slip the frogs of war.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »

You specifically want to spray in low humidity, so that your models stay not frosty.  Seriously.

You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.
Aaron
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 03:53:16 PM »

For 6mm I would only bother with one or two coats of matt varnish. You should really be handling them by the bases at that scale, so the wear from frequent handling shouldn't be as much of a problem.
Malamute
Prince of Darkness
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »

You specifically want to spray in low humidity, so that your models stay not frosty.  Seriously.

I am more inclined to brush my varnish on. I keep hearing horror stories of failed attempts when spraying. Brush on seems safer. Huh?
Mindenbrush
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »

As Orctrader says - always varnish!

Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: