lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 25, 2017, 02:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 6579
Latest: Angrypantz
Stats
Total Posts: 1206451
Total Topics: 93478
Online Today: 371
Online Ever: 697
(July 31, 2016, 10:46:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 27
Guests: 245
Total: 272
Recent
[Today at 02:56:54 AM]

[Today at 02:41:14 AM]

[Today at 02:23:34 AM]

[Today at 02:22:30 AM]

[Today at 02:21:56 AM]

[Today at 02:20:42 AM]

[Today at 02:17:22 AM]

[Today at 02:15:29 AM]

[Today at 02:00:29 AM]

[Today at 01:45:02 AM]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Fireforge Plastic Medieval Scandinavian Infantry  (Read 4549 times)
Ogrob
librarian

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »

They don't look brilliant, but they look like they have some useful parts. I like them more than the russians and will probably buy a kit to kitbash.

Ain't got a blog, but I do have a thread: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones
Madhouse Workshop
bookworm

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 12:10:15 AM »

I saw them yesterday on FB, unlike the GBP Archers, I'm going to give these a try.  I think I can do something with them and will likely kit bash them.

Argonor
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!

Location: A secret lab in The Middle of Nowhere, Funen, Denmark

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 04:15:08 AM »

are there already miniatures around for this period as I don't recall ever seeing those strange halberds?

The bardiches are wrong for the subject/period. I also think heavy gloves for the archers are a bit strange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardiche

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84
Codsticker
scientist

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »

I saw them yesterday on FB, unlike the GBP Archers, I'm going to give these a try.  I think I can do something with them and will likely kit bash them.
Judging by pictures on the internet (I know, I know...) I would agree: these look better. Unfortunately, not a period/location I am interested in.

SotF
scientist

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »

I really wanted these to be great but I think they are pretty average. It says on their FB page that there is a separate spear sprue included, this should add some more normal weapons, that axe is ridiculous.

Suetonius Paullinus has certainly demonstrated what can be done with them though. I certainly don't think they're a lost cause by any means.

The double headed axe isn't that bad, shouldn't be that hard to just snip a head off if needed or trimmed into a pick if nothing else.

I'm assuming that the reason for the more fantasy aspects is due to their fantasy line and that they had space on the sprues since things like spears would take up enough space to need their own for a smaller box.
JamesValentine
bookworm

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »

I do like the look of those personally
Battle Brush Sigur
assistant

Brush-for-Hire

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »

So has anybody figured out what exactly those chaps are? The mix of shields and various helmets along with these axes... not sure what they are.

Argonor
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 07:35:42 PM »

So has anybody figured out what exactly those chaps are? The mix of shields and various helmets along with these axes... not sure what they are.

They are an ecclectic mix of several previous FF sets, with the odd fantasy viking trope thrown in for good measure, to justify the label 'Scandinavian'.

They should have been labeled 'Fantasy Northerners', and nobody would have lifted an eyebrow.

FFs answer when criticized on FB was pathetic: they could not afford to have a fully historical set of dollies made for this release, so went with already realeased stuff. Well, if you don't have the means to invest, either wait until you do, or go for crowdfunding, like everybody else does these days, and get a proper product made.

I like most of their early products, but I think the quality and accuracy of their releases is spiraling downwards, which is, to tell the truth, not what I expect of a company that started off well.

(edited for a couple of typos/missing words)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:27:45 PM by Argonor » Logged
Maxromek
assistant

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:49 PM »

FFs answer when criticized on FB was pathetic: they could not afford to have a fully historical set of dollies made for this realease, so went with already realeased stuff. Well, if you don't have the means to invest, either wait until you, or go for crowdfunding, like everybody else does these days, and get a proper product made.

Yeah, I've seen their reply and I thought it was BS. These are basically their Russians with some new weapons and heads. They also tried to claim that they worked with some historians and re-enactors to attest for the historicity. As a re-enactor myself, I can tell you that this means absolutely nothing. Most re-enactment societies (and unfortunately a lot of the vikings ones, look at how many viking re-enactors wear lamellar armour... drives me nuts!) have a very loose attitude towards authenticity. I bet FF was basically asking questions like "Would this be okay for 13thC Scandinavians?" and the answer was "Well, they used these kinda helmets in earlier periods, but I guess some of them may have stilled been used." or "Yeah, bardiches are a bit later, but we can't really pinpoint the right time, so maybe?" and then just went with it. This is especially pathetic considering that we have such a great account of the Battle of Visby together with copious amounts of artifacts. The battle happened in 1361, but it's widely agreed that a lot of the weapons and armour excavated was either old itself at the time of the battle or of the older styles, worn by mostly levies and militiamen. So yeah, they had a fairly reasonable basis for making those Scandinavians and then completely disregarded it.

I personally like the weapon options, maybe bar the double headed axes, but the longer I look at how FF went about making these, the more I grow annoyed at them.
Battle Brush Sigur
assistant

Brush-for-Hire

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »

Yeah, it seems like that whole "we're helping out The Ninth Age" thing is seeping over into everything else FF do. Wink
SotF
scientist

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:08 AM »

Yeah, it seems like that whole "we're helping out The Ninth Age" thing is seeping over into everything else FF do. Wink

Partially, it also might be more of filling in space on a sprue so that they can do both. I'd love to see the weapons sprue that is supposed to also be in the set that at least has spears and probably other things.
Tordenskjold
librarian

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:12 AM »

I'd be very interested if they made a sprue of bardiches, dane axes and other loose weapons. Those would be very useful for all sorts of conversion work.
Argonor
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 01:16:29 AM »

Partially, it also might be more of filling in space on a sprue so that they can do both. I'd love to see the weapons sprue that is supposed to also be in the set that at least has spears and probably other things.

Have a look here, they already do spears, javelins, and lances/pikes as separate sets:

http://www.fireforge-games.com/webstore/figure-accessories
tomrommel1
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »

That is nice to have separate spears . I would like to have the shields they do as a separate pack , that would be grand

In hoc signo vinces
Codsticker
scientist

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »

Have a look here, they already do spears, javelins, and lances/pikes as separate sets:

http://www.fireforge-games.com/webstore/figure-accessories
Just a word of warning, the shafts on those weapons are quite thick (hurhurhur) so if you are thinking of using them with some historical figures they may not work. I grabbed a bunch and found them too awkward to use with both Conquest Normans and Warlord's Pike and Shotte plastic minis.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Jump to: