lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2017, 01:08:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 12:52:15 PM]

[Today at 12:51:37 PM]

[Today at 12:48:21 PM]

[Today at 12:47:18 PM]

[Today at 12:44:44 PM]

[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

[Today at 12:32:03 PM]

[Today at 12:25:16 PM]

[Today at 12:11:52 PM]

[Today at 12:08:22 PM]
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Author Topic: The Thaw of '46  (Read 26240 times)
Rich H
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »

Shocked Great work as ever Cheesy

streetkern
assistant

« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »

Look great
Wyrmalla
mastermind

« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »

I just bought a few Chi-Ha from Warlord in resin for cutting up. Now they're out in plastic. Fffffk!!!!
Rich H
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #318 on: March 17, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »

Usually jsut after I finish a built someone produces the same thing... 
Finished my AEC and Deacon - Perrys announce an AEC and a deacon 2 days later... Frown
Wyrmalla
mastermind

« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »

Well the good think I suppose is that with a plastic kit I can nab the road wheels from that, plus a bit of platicard and then combine them with the Tamiya Panzer III tracks to make a set of Chi-Ri track units ...which is much less of a headache. Ah, barring having to wait for the release, and now having a tank which I'll have to find another use for (probably a Chi-He or something).

Ah, that is if I can find loose Tamiya 1/48th tracks. I had a look on Ebay and all that comes up are complete kits or the odd third party metal set. :/
Rich H
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »

Contact the tamiya agent in the UK.  You can buy single sprues for about £3-£4.
You need to know the kit number and the sprue (a,b,c,etc) that you need they will order thee rest.  Takes a little while as thye come form Japan but not too long.
Wyrmalla
mastermind

« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2017, 10:50:45 PM »

Ah right, I hadn't thought that companies still did stuff like that...

The current stuff now pending painting.

Panther based LVT.

With that spare Spinne's turret I had left over. It doesn't look like the most practical vehicle, though neither were the first couple of LVTs the Americans came out with.

Panzer II Leopard. ... thing.

Based on that article Warlord threw up. I'm not calling it a Leopard (and if I didn't already have this I'd have picked up Die Waffernkammer's E-25 one), as the measurements are way off. Instead I guess this can be the Panzer II ausf.K or something (somehow jumping over the radical changes which the ausf.J had made).

Type 5 Ho-Ru

One of those Japanese tanks I mentioned. This isn't a complete reproduction of the real world prototype (the tracks were thicker, and the angle of the casement at the back is off - though third party model kits are inconsistent on this, as does the remaining picture of the real one obscure the back), but meh, its not like anyone makes a model of this in 1/56th. On paper the 47mm gun was obsolete for straight up fights with Shermans, but I think they designed it as an ambush tank for attacking their sides (with the expectation they'd only get off one shot) or going after soft skins.

Japanese tanks, even the prototype ones, just come across as being way behind what was going on in the European theatre. I guess the type of battles which were being fought in Asia were a different ball game though, especially when it comes to the context of Operation Downfall.

Rich H
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #322 on: March 18, 2017, 11:25:46 PM »

Genius again.  Parts bin specials Laugh
Wyrmalla
mastermind

« Reply #323 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:38 PM »

The Ho-Ru's barrel's from a Tau Battlesuit burst cannon.

Hmn, Tau, somehow appropriate... Wink
Ultravanillasmurf
scientist

« Reply #324 on: March 19, 2017, 12:25:39 AM »

Excellent.

The LVT is especially good.

Wyrmalla
mastermind

« Reply #325 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »

And for something a bit further afield…

A Japanese Chi-Nu and Ho-Ru.

Both are Warlord models, the Chi-Nu’s out of the box (or bubble wrap), and whilst the Ho-Ru’s a Ke-Nu with a casement added.

The Chi-Nu was an interim modernisation of the Chi-Ha design, itself just a stopgap leading onto the Chi-To (and tangentially Chi-Ri) model. Under 200 were made, and issued for the defence of the Home Islands. None saw service, but the post-war Japanese Defence force did use them for a time.

The Ho-Ru was an attempt to salvage some last use out of the interwar Ha-Go tankette. The Ha-Go had seen much service, but was severely dated, even in its later guise as the Ke-Nu light tank. By adding a casement mounted 47mm gun it was hoped that the vehicle may see some life as an ambush tank, though the small calibur gun would have been incapable of penetrating a Sherman's armour (let alone the upgraded variants which the US had started deploying). At most one Ho-Ru was built, but the navy had greater need for the raw materials, as did the war end, so no mass conversions ever took place

I'd have liked to add some ferns as camo, but only had more European looking foliage to hand. I guess that'd make these suitable for other environments as well, though I intentionally painted them in a sort of tropical camo (actually a Chinese post-war one. The Japanese did however use green as a base rather than ocre for those climates ...apparently, there wasn't much on Google on the subject).
Ultravanillasmurf
scientist

« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »

Very good.
CompanyB
mad scientist

« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2017, 04:13:41 PM »

ooo, very nice.
Ballardian
mad scientist

Too old to stop now

« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »

Good stuff, love the Ho-Ru conversion.
Wyrmalla
mastermind

« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2017, 01:15:57 AM »

The week's been a right off a bit (really need to stop bleeding out of my face at random...), but well I did start on making a second Jagdpanzer III/IV this morning. Having already made one not too long ago this one's almost finished (if I'd stuck it in the over to cure the milliput faster I could have been done with it tonight).

I was after another Panther turret from Heer 46, but predictably they were out of stock. I did notice that they were stocking their German infantry in parkas line though. Tanks are much more interesting than the regular soldiers (giving them Assault Rifles does increase my esteem a little...). I've been procrastinating over rifleman for ages, and there's look fairly nice (that they don't need to be covered in greenstuff also helps).

They're a bit chunky looking however, but on par with Warlord's. So I picked up enough for two squads, then thought hang on, didn't someone else make something similar? Aye, CP Models (with a website only just a tad better to navigate than Heer 46's) do a small range as well (upscales of their 20mm stuff). So, that's me sorted for filling out riflemen for Bolt Action ...so I can actually play a game which isn't just 2 squads of Veteran SS with ARs and a Panzer IV...

Anyway I'm off this week, and I've promised not to get blood everywhere again, so maybe we'll see some progress. I'm egging to make another Panther II (this time around sans the crappy cast hull), though without that Heer 46 turret I'll have to come up with something else. I suppose that's dependent on the local shop having restocked their Rubicon lineup (which are miles ahead of Warlord's stuff. Every time I'm stuck using one of their kits instead of Rubicon's I feel a bit sick), ah, though maybe buying less stuff might be just the excuse I need to actually paint something (having all this unbuilt stuff just means there'll be plenty to work on the next time nuclear winter sets in and I can't leave the house for a bit). Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up

Jump to: