lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 12:41:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 12:40:04 AM]

by M.P.
[Today at 12:31:57 AM]

by Nord
[Today at 12:31:11 AM]

[Today at 12:24:03 AM]

[Today at 12:17:39 AM]

[Today at 12:15:42 AM]

[Today at 12:14:50 AM]

[Today at 12:08:10 AM]

[Today at 12:08:09 AM]

[Today at 12:01:15 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: app for Frostgrave  (Read 2663 times)
Eric the Shed
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« on: February 22, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »

Hi Folks

Any bright sparks out there thinking that an app on the ipad for the Wizard Characters sheet would be a good idea?

We played some games last week and found that updating Character rosters was beginning to get a bit messy...it would be great if you could use an ipad to keep records as Wizards level up?

Lamilvelo
bookworm

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:08 PM »

Someone has a fillable PDF that I think would work?  I saved the PDF if you wanted to try it.
Vin21
assistant

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:36 PM »

I've not used it for Frostgrave, but how about BattleScribe?  I don't know if it allows you to input current health or if it's just used to make your roster?

If not, rather than an app and it's associated costs, a webpage or interactive PDF would work.
Tactalvanic
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:30:35 PM »

Have tried non, so no idea of functionality and fit for purposenesss.

But googlefoo kicked up:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/126789/frostgrave-app

http://www.battlescribe.net/    - Has files for frostgrave, no idea what it will do for you but its an app..with adverts and pay for pro no adverts version....

http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html - seems a simple - create warband online tool.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120356/frostgrave-wizard-sheet

Not an app but maybe usefull:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3AZy1PiBkVQWhfSVZxT29vWkk/view

Maybe something there thats useful if you have time to go through them.

Soss
assistant

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:22:52 PM »

I use Quartermaster, you have to create the info but I can use it to keep track of all aspects in a game if needed. It is a little more time consuming to use it versus a piece of paper. I use a lot after to keep track of my warbands and to look at them on my phone.
Ravendas
assistant

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »

I wrote 90% of an app for Open Combat before realizing I'd probably never play it and quitting.

I'm tempted to write one for this. A wizard creator, along with a group maker and tracker, as well as a fight tracker to note who killed what, what spells were cast and such to track experience at the end. Then a post-combat treasure roller, where you just put in how many treasures each person found, and it autorolls through all the branching tree paths to display what you got instantly.

It would be rather easy to do in C# as a Windows app, or maybe Android. Never written anything for apple products.

Edit: Though, one problem with writing an app is that there's a certain amount of information that the designers would you rather not include. Like, including full spell information for each spell in the game would be very useful when selecting spells for a Wizard, but the designer might not like that much information being shared for free.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:02:38 PM by Ravendas » Logged
Eric the Shed
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »

If the app had a charge the designers could get a royalty....maybe Joe is looking into this?
Ravendas
assistant

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 03:26:39 AM »

Too jetlagged and zoned out to do other hobby stuff, I put all the spells in the game into a SQL database.

Step one of making a program. No promises.
Vin21
assistant

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »

Edit: Though, one problem with writing an app is that there's a certain amount of information that the designers would you rather not include. Like, including full spell information for each spell in the game would be very useful when selecting spells for a Wizard, but the designer might not like that much information being shared for free.

Spells are given out as a free resource, and are in the open domain, so there shouldn't be much of a problem there. Plus, Joe & crew seem to be very accomodating to the players and aren't tyrannical overlords, so as long as you run it past him I'm sure it'd be fine.

If you were to copy the whole rulebook, then that would be another matter.
Vin21
assistant

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »

Oh, and kudos for doing this!
Ravendas
assistant

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »

Here's the roadmap/features I envision

1. Wizard Creator: A window to name a new character, select their school (showing the options and descriptive texts), and bring up the varying lists of spells they have access to. Each will be a list of checkboxes to choose which spells to take, given the rules. Clicking on a spell would bring up its information in a side panel. Their choice if item would also be selected here.

2. Warband Creator: Create a new warband or edit an existing one. This would track the soldiers, equipment, wizard, apprentice, gold and stash for the warband.

3. Battle Tracker: Select two (or more) warbands from the list of existing warbands to start a battle. Select/randomize the scenario, and choose how experience will be awarded, since many have houserules to change the amounts. This will track spells cast successfully per round, and when soldiers get killed, and by who in case of a wizard for tracking experience.

4. Post-Battle: Calculates and updates experience gained for the battle. Allows autorolling of all gained treasure on each side, outputting instantly what was found by using the charts. Lists spells for each wizard that can be cast Out of Game, and optionally rolling for them to see if they're successful.

5. Wizard Editor/Leveler: As experience is added, every time 100 is gained a window pops up to level your wizard.

6. Soldier/Spell Editor: Allow the user to add new soldiers and spells to the game, as well as edit existing ones for houserules or whatever.

I'm not saying I'll definitely do this, but I've started, and I know how to do it all, so we'll see Smiley
Lamilvelo
bookworm

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »

Sounds like a super helpful program!
Timeshadow
scientist

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:55 PM »

Looking forward to seeing it  Smiley

And if there was a place to upload a pic of each of your figures it would be a nice touch  Cheesy
Ravendas
assistant

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:16:53 PM »

Looking forward to seeing it  Smiley

And if there was a place to upload a pic of each of your figures it would be a nice touch  Cheesy

That's a good idea too. Optional, of course, but some might like it.

No promises with this though, it's currently an idea that I'll see if I get the gumption to do. I did finish the spell lists though, so I have plenty to work with now. Hopefully I won't stall out.

By the way, I haven't even played a single game of Frostgrave yet Smiley
aetchell
lurker

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »

I know this post is quite old but I put together an online tool for warband management.

http://www.table-top.space

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: