lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 09:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 09:45:50 AM]

[Today at 09:44:16 AM]

by Inso
[Today at 09:40:04 AM]

[Today at 09:39:57 AM]

[Today at 09:26:37 AM]

[Today at 09:21:50 AM]

[Today at 09:15:36 AM]

[Today at 09:13:02 AM]

[Today at 09:01:55 AM]

[Today at 08:55:17 AM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Heidi, Hildegarde and Henri & The Death Bell of Breugel-Bosch  (Read 11055 times)
Curt
bookworm

« on: January 29, 2016, 04:44:43 AM »

As soon as I saw this set advertised online I knew had to get it as it's just so whimsically dorky.  Depicted here is a 'crew' of a highly improvised artillery piece, a great town bell, 'The Death Bell'. The bell is just about to be fired in the defense of the town of 'Breugel-Bosch'.

The leader is a rather formidable woman, dressed for the occasion in helmet, partial Landsknecht regalia and sword. She wields an improvised rammer made of an old broom stick and scullery brush. This is Hildegarde. She is overseeing her sister, Heidi, in the firing of the Death Bell. Heidi, as we can plainly see, is a little more of a reluctant soul than her brash sibling. Both sisters are trying very hard to ignore the sage advise of their cousin Henri, who lost both his legs as a gunner serving in the Italian Wars. He is seen here on his hand cart, bringing up more ammunition for the ladies.

While working on these castings I came to the conclusion that they deserved a little more pimping out. The stock bell came with a cavernous opening, but with nothing to put in it. I thought that this wouldn't do. It was just crying out for some deadly missile to be nestled inside, ready to be blasted out at their enemies. At first, I made a big cannonball with some greenstuff and popped that in to see how it looked. It was okay, but it still seemed rather, meh, a bit boring.

Then I came upon the idea that these citizens would want to pack this thing with whatever they could find in town that could be considered lethal. I immediately thought of a blacksmith's anvil and laughed aloud. I rummaged around and, surprise, surprise, found one as part of a Napoleonic forge set from Westfalia Miniatures (sorry Kawe!). From there it was just a matter of trimming down the anvil and adding some other bits, such as a sword, spear, and a few polearms (donations from the town's armoury). Done! Now the gun has a load of improvised scattershot to wreak havoc amongst their foes!

I really liked the pillow as a recoil brake and made sure to give it a nice needlework pattern. I imagine that it's been donated to the cause by one of the town's worthy ladies - a noble sacrifice from her sitting room.

For the groundwork I wanted to try something a little different. So I made a rather impressionistic version of a cobblestone road by gluing oblong shapes cut from an index card. Once dried I simply painted, drybrushed them up to look like flagstones, and then added some grass between the 'stones' (clipped-up tufts work well for this).

I've kept to an autumn theme again so that this 'HEAVY artillery unit' can fit in with my other Renaissance stuff.

So, there you have it. The Death Bell of Breugel-Bosch, crewed by Heidi & Hildegarde von Biguns (and helped by their cousin Henri).

Thanks for visiting folks and have a great week!

The Dozing Dragon
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:21 AM »

Fantastic!

Gunbird
mastermind

In 20mm, anything is possible!

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »

Oozing character! Love it!  Grin

Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, travels around to get in the occasional game. Current flavour of the month - Frostgrave! >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/
pocoloco
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »

Great detail work on that, all the extra effort truly pays off plus with the level of fine brushwork, great piece!
Ray Earle
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »

Lovely work.  Cheesy

Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

mweaver
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 03:52:10 AM »

Gorgeous!
Mason
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Eternal Butterfly!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 04:14:24 AM »

Brilliant!
A very cleverly thought out and executed piece that would work equally well as a diorama as well as a gaming piece.
Top work.
Love it!
 Love Love

Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:46:05 AM »

Excellent Curt  Love

jimbibbly
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Remember, the ox is slow, but the earth is patient

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »

Splendid  Love Love

cheers

James

Malamute
Prince of Darkness
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:00:55 PM »

Lovely stuff Grin

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:19 PM »

This is just awesome, Curt, bravo  Love Do you mind me posting that on our LAM Facebook page?
Admiral Benbow
The Queen's Own Gizmologist
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

"Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:58 PM »

Superb, Curt!  Love Shocked

Curt
bookworm

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »

Thank you for your kind words everyone - it's very much appreciated.

Prof.Witchheimer: Absolutely, I'd be honoured.

Regards,

Curt
Michi
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Hoist the colours!

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »

Somehow I missed these.  Shocked Extraordinary work, very detailed painting and I had a good laugh on the anvil! Great Idea to stuff the bell with everything available. The basing is top notch as well!

**GS**
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

never enough time

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »

Lovely, simply lovely!

Cheers
GS

"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: