lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2017, 08:11:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 08:07:03 AM]

[Today at 08:01:00 AM]

[Today at 07:50:43 AM]

[Today at 07:44:55 AM]

[Today at 07:42:52 AM]

[Today at 07:28:30 AM]

[Today at 07:06:25 AM]

[Today at 06:58:00 AM]

[Today at 06:40:44 AM]

[Today at 06:28:52 AM]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Lead Adventure Forum Support  (Read 30902 times)
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« on: December 10, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »

Dear LAFer,

following a one-year hiatus, I have decided to re-activate the Paypal Donation Button. Just like back then, a server doesn't run on love alone, and I 'll be grateful for any financial support for this aspect of the LAF.

Before you make any donation, though, I would like to ask you to read the following thoroughly, so that you'll understand the whats and whys of the whole donations thing.

First, I would like to tell you the reasons for which you should NOT donate.

LAF is a pure labour of love, and it is not my intent to make money off it. I pay my own bills - do not worry about that, my family and I are fine, and any donation is exclusively used to cover server costs and carry this load on more than one pair of shoulders.

Do not feel obliged to donate just because others do - peer pressure is a bad advisor in any situation. Furthermore, if you have any doubts if you can or should afford it (need to pay bills, would rather buy some new figures) - don't donate. It is perfectly fine being an LAF member without donating - there are other ways you can contribute to make this the nice place it was in the past and is right now, by producing interesting stuff and engaging in productive discussion. Nobody expects you to make a donation or will admonish you for not doing so - and I will never do so, period. IT IS OKAY NOT TO DONATE.

To make this abundantly clear, we have discontinued any and all privileges previously enjoyed by former Supporting Members. That means that if you make a donation, you will NOT receive any benefits such as Gallery or special posting rights - it is a voluntary donation to ensure the existence of the forum, NOT a purchase of services.

This means that any donation made does not entitle you to any products, services or privileges. The LAF is NOT a commercial entity offering a package of services at a given price. It is bound to change over the years, as it has in the past and will continue to do in the future - do not expect the forum to stay the way it was when you donated. If you are under the impression that by making the donation, you are making a purchase or entitled to special treatment - DO NOT DONATE, since sooner or later, there will be changes, and we will not be able to consider the opinion of each individual user.

In this context, please be advised that in the coming year (2016), there will me a much-needed overhaul of the forum in the shape of an already-overdue software update. This means LAF will be running on a new software version, which may require changing to a new visual appearance/interface. It won't be pink and garish, I will strive to keep a style similar to the old one, but what the final version will look like, nobody knows by now, not even I. If you have any issues with that, DO NOT DONATE.

To get back on the privileges thing, do not think that a donation will get you preferential treatment. All the forum rules apply to all members of the forum and will be enforced regardless of any donations made, including warnings and more severe consequences.

If you run a miniature or wargaming-related business, you are encouraged to contribute but NOT obliged in any way to make a donation. You may still post advertisements (as per the forum rules) for your products and services free of charge, and nobody will admonish you for it. If you choose to make a donation to support the LAFs continued existence, you do not receive any privileges - thus, no crossposting, no averts on general special offers on thematic boards etc.

Finally, on the method of payment. To streamline and facilitate payments and to maintain accountability to the German Tax and Revenue Service, the only way you may donate is via Paypal. This ensures I will be able to declare any donations received, even for a private hobby forum and, if necessary, pay the appropriate taxes on it. If you do not agree with this, DO NOT DONATE.

Thank you for reading through this. Why am I trying so hard to make this point? Truth is, I did not put the donation function on hiatus without good cause. Some members had expectations, based on their previous donations, which I could and would not, in good faith, fulfil. Having thought long and hard about it, I decided to give members the option to donate again, but I wanted to make it abundantly clear what "goes" and what "doesn't". If you have any further questions on this, feel free to send me a PM or post a reply to this topic.

So, if you have made it so far, two final clarifications before you make your decision.

Please DO NOT ask me how much you should donate or what others donate, on average. I will not tell you. It is your decision alone, and any amount helps and is equally appreciated.

If I receive a donation, I will send you a personal mail to thank you for your contribution. If you do not want your donation to remain anonymous, I will also post a reply to this thread containing your username and my thanks for your contribution. If I fail to do so, this means I may have been offline for a while or did not receive your donation. In this case, please contact me ASAP by PM.

So, you still want to donate? Alright, then please click on this link or on the Donate button on the bottom of the page:

Lead Adventure Forum Support - Paypal Donation

Thank you.

Yours
Prof

P.S: Almost forgot, there is actually something you always get donating! Of course, The Badge! Smiley

Rhoderic
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

I disapprove!

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:04:02 AM »

Sad to hear that not even a simple donate function comes without controversy. Here's hoping for easy sailing from here on.

Maybe the donate button itself (the one at the bottom of every page) should first lead to a page that repeats your principles on what being a donating member does not entail. I only suggest it as I suspect that many users will just notice the button and not this thread.

"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino
zizi666
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Location: Gent, the worlds 3rd most beautiful historical city

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:44 AM »

You make a good point why not to donate.
Alas, the rebel in me decided to ignore that  Tongue

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:38:33 PM »

Got a couple of donations, sorry to be late with response, guys, had a very busy day at work. But all of you should have got an email response from me already during the day.

I've got yesterday and today donations from:

Harleyface
zizi666
Schrumpfkopf
Anonymous user
Elk101
YPU
Marine0846

Guys, I much appreciate your support, thank you all  Smiley

btw, Harleyface and Schrumpfkopf, welcome to the Adventuring Supporters Club!

Sad to hear that not even a simple donate function comes without controversy. Here's hoping for easy sailing from here on.

Maybe the donate button itself (the one at the bottom of every page) should first lead to a page that repeats your principles on what being a donating member does not entail. I only suggest it as I suspect that many users will just notice the button and not this thread.

Unfortunately for some technical reasons it has to be that way. But I am going to put a link to the thread just above the button. Good point, thanks for the hint.

You make a good point why not to donate.
Alas, the rebel in me decided to ignore that  Tongue

Thanks, Danny, for ignoring my point  Cheesy
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »

Just received more support from Major_Gilbear and Damas. Thank you, guys!
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »

Many thanks Drunkendwarf and Rhoderic, appreciate your help!
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:44 AM »

Another one donation received, from Silent Invader! Thank you, Steve  Smiley
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »

Thanks to Barry S and Orctrader Smiley
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »

Got more support from Golgotha, krieghund and armchairgeneral, thanks, gentlemen, much appreciate!

And welcome to Supporting club for Golgotha and armchairgeneral Smiley
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »

A couple of further donations arrived!

My big thanks to:

cram
Phil Robinson
Justizius
Helen
Temudjin00

Smiley
syrinx0
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 12:14:43 AM »

P.S: Almost forgot, there is actually something you always get donating! Of course, The Badge! Smiley

How can anyone resist the badge?  Cheesy

2017 A:0 P:0; 2016:+1; 2015:-356; 2014:-164 2013:-418;  2012:-159

Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »

Three more donations over the night, from Jeff965, syrinx0 and rumacara. Thank you very much, lads Smiley

Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »

Thank you, tin shed gamer, and welcome to the Supporting Club Smiley

Also thanks to another anonymous user!
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »

Now I would like to thank Tactalvanic and vikotnik for two more donations. Cheers, lads!
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »

One donation from sundayhero (new supporter)  and another from Mad Doc Morris. Cheers, guys Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Jump to: