lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2017, 11:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 11:09:31 AM]

[Today at 11:08:12 AM]

[Today at 11:04:28 AM]

[Today at 10:58:24 AM]

[Today at 10:54:57 AM]

[Today at 10:52:42 AM]

[Today at 10:39:26 AM]

[Today at 10:33:48 AM]

[Today at 10:33:27 AM]

[Today at 10:30:52 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: horrid visit to westeros: dornish test  (Read 3366 times)
horridperson
mad scientist

Doing the Will of The Horned Cat

« on: August 18, 2015, 07:29:06 AM »

There are so many amazing Westeros threads on this board I had to give it a try.  I'd commented on one of them trying to decide what would be a suitable rules set and thought LOTR wouldn't be a bad fit.  I'm not really to concerned about rules but thought I'd look at the LOTR models I have knocking around and see if I could do a test fig.

The Haradrim appear to be a pretty solid fit for Dornish men.  The light armour and flowing robes, spears and recurved bows were appropriate to both the written and screen interpretations.  I had to take some liberty with the armour and went with leathers rather than the brigandine described in text.  I could have painted it as a red metal but a full on breast plate doesn't seem light enough to suggest the nature of a Dornish infantry man.

I'm not sure I like what I did with the ugly pattern.  It is an extremely dummied down version of what I saw in the series costuming and hopefully suggests it rather than actually looking anything like it.  I really don't like how cleaning up the shapes ruined the clean layering I had on the robes first pass.  I'd considering leaving it be for rank and file and doing a detailed embellished version on character models.  Another possibility might be alternating black and white circles; What would you suggest?

* dornishfront.jpg (49.5 KB, 600x450 - viewed 899 times.)

* dornishback.jpg (50.1 KB, 600x450 - viewed 916 times.)

bandit86
mastermind

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »

Looking good so far!

Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/
PhilB
bookworm

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:52:35 AM »

Brilliant work, love the diamond motif. Patterns and shading are so hard to mix. It works on this guy.
Major_Gilbear
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

God-Emperor of Dune

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »

I think he looks great! Smiley

With the pattern, I see what you mean about tidying it up... I think that if you start with a yellow closer to the highlight colour, paint the pattern on (and clean it up), and then shade down with some thin glazes, you'll get a much more convincing look.

This is because the shading will also shade the pattern at the same time, and although glazes are a bit slow to dry, if you're doing three or four models at a time it's actually pretty fast overall.

Good plastics those old LOTR figs; I'm interested to see what else you do with them.

My painting logs: Beyond the Gates of Antares, and Malifaux.
LordOdo
mad scientist

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »

It looks really great and convincing!  Smiley
I think you should continue with the patern, but do some with the black and white circles too; just to break the uniformity. 

''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Elgis
assistant

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »

The pattern and mini both look excellent.
Hupp n at em
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 04:06:15 AM »

I'll echo others' comments about the pattern, I recognized it from the series immediately.  Cheesy
tomrommel1
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »

nice painting and as the others said keep the pattern

In hoc signo vinces
Treebeard
scientist

Lazy French Painter

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »

It definitively works.
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »

Well it definitely looks like the Dornish as portrayed by HBO - the Haradrim are perfect, and I like the painting.

Have to say, it's not how I see the Dornish at all from the books. At no point does GRRM suggest Dorne is an out-and-out Arabic-style culture - much more Mediterranean.
The problem of course, is that because Benioff & Weiss decided to portray King's Landing as broadly Mediterranean / Adriatic in look, climate and culture (when the books are clearly describing a North/Central European medieval-style city), they were left with nowhere to go with Dorne - except somewhere even hotter and more exotic.

But...

This is one of my favourite hobby-horses (how the producers got it wrong in so many ways with their globally successful, multi-award winning, gabillion-grossing, unstoppable juggernaut of a TV phenomenon Laugh) and I shall now get off my soap-box, and return your thread to its rightful purpose Smiley

commissarmoody
galactic brain

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 04:40:34 PM »

Well it definitely looks like the Dornish as portrayed by HBO - the Haradrim are perfect, and I like the painting.

Have to say, it's not how I see the Dornish at all from the books. At no point does GRRM suggest Dorne is an out-and-out Arabic-style culture - much more Mediterranean.
The problem of course, is that because Benioff & Weiss decided to portray King's Landing as broadly Mediterranean / Adriatic in look, climate and culture (when the books are clearly describing a North/Central European medieval-style city), they were left with nowhere to go with Dorne - except somewhere even hotter and more exotic.

Agreed.  Laugh

"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous
LordOdo
mad scientist

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »

Yes I agree as well, the Dornish on my painting table ain't Arabic looking at all, as that's not how I pictured them.

But each to their own of course!  Smiley
tyrionhalfman
mad scientist

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »

These look great.I may have to dust off my haradrim when I finally get around to starting my GoT project.thanks for sharing

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: