lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2017, 12:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 12:34:02 PM]

[Today at 12:30:00 PM]

[Today at 12:28:40 PM]

[Today at 12:20:07 PM]

[Today at 12:12:02 PM]

[Today at 12:07:40 PM]

[Today at 12:01:51 PM]

[Today at 12:01:02 PM]

[Today at 12:00:17 PM]

[Today at 11:58:50 AM]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Author Topic: Count Dragos and his lackeys (March 22: Lich Lord game 9)  (Read 15334 times)
Malebolgia
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Cyberpunk!

« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »

Tomorrow we have scheduled the final game...THE FINAL BATTLE! Yes, finally we have arrived at scenario 10 of Thaw of the Liche Lord. So...we needed a Liche Lord. I rummaged through my miniatures but couldn't find one I really liked. Some were regal, but small and carried no weapons. Others were gnarly, evil and tattered but lacked the regality of a Liche Lord. Eventually I went for Reaper's The Angel of Death. The miniature normally comes with wings, which I left off. I used green stuff to make a fake cloak on the back. The painting went superfast. The result is a gnarly and evil liche in a tattered outfit (not very regal no), but I like him as he is. He'll do the job!

But he needed some furniture in his personal floating castle. So I quickly dug up an old Citadel Lord of the Rings Sauron's throne and a Thomarillion altar. Two quick paintjobs later and the Liche has the stuff to sit like a lord, cast spells and sacrifice stuff.

And finally yesterday evening during the latest episode of The Walking Dead (fitting eh) I painted a zombie. I already had a painted zombie, but that one's on a 25mm base while the rest of the warband is on 30mm beveled bases. So this one fits in a lot better!

So tomorrow the grand finale, where I will see if Dragos will be successful at becoming a Liche...

Deckard: "They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer."
von Lucky
galactic brain

« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »

Excellent additions - the colours give a real sense of being worn and cold.

- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen
jp1885
mastermind

"An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"

« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2017, 11:07:41 PM »

I can almost feel the evil emanating from those photos - great work!

Mason
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Eternal Butterfly!

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2017, 12:49:29 AM »

Great stuff, sir.
Lovely conversion work on Mr L himself and you did a cracking kob on the other elements for the game.
 Love Love

As an added bonus: I had no idea that Sauron's Throne could look so good.
I guess I never really looked at it properly before.
Only problem is ....I now want one!
 Cheesy

LiamFrostfang
librarian

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »

Cheesy awesome job!!!
GumbaFish
schoolboy

« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

I just went through this whole thread and there is a lot of really inspiring stuff in it.  Great job and I'm definitely looking forward to future updates.
Malebolgia
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Cyberpunk!

« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2017, 07:57:48 PM »

Thanks lads! We finished the last game Thursday and it was a blast as always. Report will follow soon...

@Mason: yes, the throne is awesome. At first I thought it was a bit quirky and too comical. But after painting I knew this was an ace model. Perfect for dungeon crawling and such and loads of character. Think I got it from LAF!
Desert Scribe
schoolboy

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2017, 06:11:38 AM »

Some good looking figures!

Check out my blog: Super Galactic Dreadnought
Malebolgia
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Cyberpunk!

« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2017, 09:16:13 PM »

Thanks guys, much appreciated Smiley. More new paintjobs will follow once we start out new campaign.

Speaking of which…time to get the ending of the Thaw of the Lich Lord! On to game 9…

Thaw of the Lich Lord – The Bone Wheel

Now first of all, we didn’t have a suitable Bone Wheel or got one done. Would have love to, but we had no fast ideas. So instead we used my old Weathertop ruins as the Bone Wheel and covered the table with scenery…leading to the ruins covered with 6 treasures.

Count Dragos and his lackeys deployed in the lower left while the Elf Mage and his soldiers deployed in the upper right. It was an odd start as this would be the last game where we would fight against each other with these warbands! The Banshees were placed and we were ready.

We both started by peppering the Banshees with all magical ranged weapons we had (note: at the time we weren’t aware that magical bows/crossbows have no effect against Banshees…) and both were severely wounded fast. Dragos had a tricksy trick up his sleeve…he cast his newly studied Teleport spell and WOOSH teleported to the center, right next to a treasure!
I just did it because I wanted to try something different and bold. It felt good! Laugh

Dragos next used his magical powers to raise a fresh zombie from the snow (and yes, the one in the back crumbled into bits again). Dragos needed an undead mule for all this treasure. It would all be his…ALL HIS…ahum, right.

A race for the centre of the board followed. By then the Banshees had been obliterated into oblivion (they were no threat at all…). My forces swarmed the ruins and around it in an effort to overwhelm the Elfs. It seemed to work as my opponent had only few soldiers moving for the treasures. His Captain secured a treasure and moved back, as did his Thief.
My Tunnel Fighter had an awesome moment as he ran over the walkway and threw his Explosive Cocktail at three Elves, taking two out! Ha! The Treasure Hunter survived and tried to grab a treasure, but was assaulted by my hound. Get him boy!

The Hound snapped at the Elf and wounded him…almost taking the frustrated Elf out. By now the Elf Mage had also sustained some damage from casting spells.

My flanking force rumbled forwards, trying to harass his archers and mage. My Wizard spotted the Elf Barbarian and flung a Bone Dart at the Elf. The shot was true and the Barbarian went down in one shot. [insert evil laughter]

And then the Elfs had even more problems as three Amplipedes arrived at the scene! They slithered towards the Elf Archer who was close by. One was easy to dispatch, but three…?

In the center my Knight and Illusionary Knight also moved for the Elfs. By then my wounded Assassin and Bear had reached his lines, while his Archer and Templar hacked away at the Amplipedes. My archer peppered his lines, but without effect. In the ruines, the Zombie, Apprentice, Tunnel Fighter and Captain were hauling back the treasures.

Just when it seemed my Assassin proved to be in danger, Dragos magically ensnared the Skeleton which was under Elf control! Now it was the Assassin and a skeleton against an Archer and not my assassin going solo! In addition, the Elf Mage had trouble with the Knight facing off against him. Things were not looking good for the Elfs.

The Elfs decided enough was enough and made a tactical retreat, securing the two treasures they had. Dragos’ forces let them go and took pride in the four treasures they found. Good…

Aftermath

Once again a strange game! It went really fast and was very one-sided. If I remember well only my Warhound was taken out, but he survived. I found several Grimoires but decided to store them. I upped my spells and we were ready for the last game.
In hindsight I think this scenario is too easy for warbands who made it this far as the Banshees were not that scary. The 6 treasures in the center were interesting…but if one side manages to dominate the game it can be rough on the other side. But still, we had fun. And that’s what it’s about eh.
jp1885
mastermind

"An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »

Excellent batrep as usual sir - bravo!
schoon
Supporting Adventurer
bookworm

« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »

Excellent photography as well - Bravo!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Jump to: