lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 11:28:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 11:23:48 PM]

[Today at 11:20:14 PM]

[Today at 11:18:34 PM]

[Today at 11:13:33 PM]

[Today at 11:12:39 PM]

[Today at 11:12:02 PM]

[Today at 11:10:48 PM]

[Today at 11:08:52 PM]

[Today at 11:05:20 PM]

[Today at 11:03:52 PM]
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 [102] 103   Go Down
Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 214317 times)
Malebolgia
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Cyberpunk!

« Reply #1515 on: April 07, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »

Or houserule it because of the awesomeness of the idea Cool

Deckard: "They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer."
Like_Clockwork
bookworm

"The only way to meet your equal, is to become it"

« Reply #1516 on: April 07, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »

Lol THANK YOU Joe. That is a 100% little brother idea right there, and I think as mentioned above, it WAS inspired from Dishonored. But yeah, that seemed too odd to work, and even if it did work, that technically would be hard to execute and not worth the pay off.

Thank you,
LC

I do hope you enjoyed reading whatever it is I have typed, I likely put some thought into it, and appreciate when others look into my brain and go, "Huh, okay"
Timeshadow
scientist

« Reply #1517 on: April 10, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »

Lol THANK YOU Joe. That is a 100% little brother idea right there, and I think as mentioned above, it WAS inspired from Dishonored. But yeah, that seemed too odd to work, and even if it did work, that technically would be hard to execute and not worth the pay off.

Thank you,
LC

That's a neat combo if it worked and not without risk. If your transpose target makes their will save or if you fail to cast the transpose you go splat....
Happy Matt
Supporting Adventurer
bookworm

« Reply #1518 on: April 12, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »

A few quick questions.

1) On the explosive cocktail, it says it acts as the grenade spell. Does it act like a successfully cast grenade or do I need to roll to 'cast' the potion? Also is it a magical attack?

2) When you have a summoning circle in your base, to summon a demon do need to know both Summon and Bind demon spells or just Summon? If you just need the Summon spell do you need to roll to get the demon there and then to bind it or just once?

Thanks for the help.
Abyssalknight42
lurker

« Reply #1519 on: April 15, 2017, 04:24:58 AM »

My game group played for the first time last week and we all thought it was a blast. I have a few questions that will probably come up in future games.

-if a soldier is pushed over a placed exploding rune and stops it's movement 4" past a rune, does the rune explode?
-summon demon: if I roll a 1 and I choose to empower the spell, would a demon still come out and attack my wizard?
-for "large" type units, is the base and model supposed to be larger than soldiers?
Like_Clockwork
bookworm

"The only way to meet your equal, is to become it"

« Reply #1520 on: April 17, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »

A few quick questions.

1) On the explosive cocktail, it says it acts as the grenade spell. Does it act like a successfully cast grenade or do I need to roll to 'cast' the potion? Also is it a magical attack?

2) When you have a summoning circle in your base, to summon a demon do need to know both Summon and Bind demon spells or just Summon? If you just need the Summon spell do you need to roll to get the demon there and then to bind it or just once?

Thanks for the help.

Any potion that says "acts like a _____ spell" is implied that you are just doing the effect of the spell. So you don't have to roll to cast the "effect", since it's a potion, you just roll for the attack that it gives you.

When you summon a demon, (assuming you roll higher) it already is bound to you, knowing Bind Demon is just a nice spell to have in case you lose control of your demon, or if you want to control someone elses.

Thank you,
LC
Severon
lurker

« Reply #1521 on: April 17, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »

To use it as an Out of Game Spell you need to know both spells since the Summoning Circle requires both spels to be cast and you can cast only those spells that you know.
Happy Matt
Supporting Adventurer
bookworm

« Reply #1522 on: April 18, 2017, 07:08:17 AM »

To use it as an Out of Game Spell you need to know both spells since the Summoning Circle requires both spels to be cast and you can cast only those spells that you know.

That is what I was afraid of.

Thanks
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #1523 on: April 18, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »

Happy Matt

1) You don't need to roll. Just play as though the spell was successfully cast.

2) See the Rules for summoning circle. It states you must case both spells.

Abyssalknight - glad you enjoyed it!

If you get pushed over the rune - 'boom' baby!

Summon Demon - If you roll a 1, there really isn't much you can do accept get attacked. The downside of summoning I'm afraid.

Large Units - Frostgrave doesn't really care about base size. Should large creatures be on bigger bases - probably - but it not necessary.

Abyssalknight42
lurker

« Reply #1524 on: April 19, 2017, 01:01:59 AM »

Thanks for the answers Joe! Just a quick clarification if you wouldn't mind (my wife and I are arguing over the definition of "boom" baby) So the rune explodes - is the soldier pushed over the rune caught in the blast or is he safe if pushed beyond the blast radius?

Also, is there ever a chance for the addition of official multiplayer rules? We played 2v2 and, while we had a great time, we know this isn't how the rules were written. When people had questions our friend who organized the group of us kept throwing his hands up in exasperation, proclaiming that there aren't rules for this. It all worked out fine but it was certainly chaos (mostly in a good way)!

Thanks again!
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #1525 on: April 19, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »

I suppose I could have been a bit clearer. The Rune explodes at the point the soldier gets within range, so he is caught in the blast. If he's still alive, continue pushing him.

The rules seem to work fine for multi-player free-for-alls. I admit, I haven't given much thought to team play. The closest I've come is the co-operative scenarios found in Dark Alchemy and the semi-co-operative in Ravages of Time.  It's probably not an area I'll be looking at in the near future.
Thoth-Amon
schoolboy

« Reply #1526 on: April 23, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »

Casting spells into combat.

I just wanted to clarify a few points please :-

1) Casting grenade near a combat. Say my barbarian is engaged with an enemy archer. Can I cast grenade near to the combat in such a way that the archer is within the area of effect but not my barbarian? If so, does this mean that only the archer is liable to take damage, or does it then count as 'shooting into combat' and the actual target is determined randomly?

2) When resolving grenade and considering shooting modifiers do you consider intervening terrain / cover between the caster and the impact point, or between the impact point and the target, or both?

3) Other spells into combat. Am I right in saying that if the spell is not resolved as a 'shooting attack' then it can be cast into combat without randomising the target? e.g. Push or Reveal Death

cheers...
Doug.Sundseth
lurker

« Reply #1527 on: April 23, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »

Restore Life is a Wizard Only spell. Does that mean that if I have such a scroll and my wizard is killed, my apprentice can't read the scroll to revive the wizard*?

I don't see anything preventing the use of a scroll of Brew Potion to brew expensive potions without risk. I would also read it that Greater Potions would still require the wizard to pay the listed ingredient cost. Am I missing anything?

In the Potions in Frostgrave section of the Folio, you state that "Unless stated otherwise in a potion's description, the effects of a potion last until the end of the current game." I assume that it was not intended that the effects of an Elixir of Life last only until the end of the current game.

In the same section: "The on-going effects of any potion are cancelled by anything that cancels spells, ...." As written, this would seem to imply that you could use a Dispel Magic to kill a wizard who had been raised by an Elixir of Life or to do 5 damage to a character that had been healed by a Potion of Healing. FWIW, I don't intend to play that way, but I thought it worthwhile to mention.
jp1885
mastermind

"An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"

« Reply #1528 on: April 23, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »

Casting spells into combat.

I just wanted to clarify a few points please :-

1) Casting grenade near a combat. Say my barbarian is engaged with an enemy archer. Can I cast grenade near to the combat in such a way that the archer is within the area of effect but not my barbarian? If so, does this mean that only the archer is liable to take damage, or does it then count as 'shooting into combat' and the actual target is determined randomly?

It's effectively a shooting attack into combat, so I'd say randomise.

2) When resolving grenade and considering shooting modifiers do you consider intervening terrain / cover between the caster and the impact point, or between the impact point and the target, or both?

IMHO between impact point and target.

3) Other spells into combat. Am I right in saying that if the spell is not resolved as a 'shooting attack' then it can be cast into combat without randomising the target? e.g. Push or Reveal Death

cheers...

Yep (though push is essentially a shooting attack).

jp1885
mastermind

"An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"

« Reply #1529 on: April 23, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »

Restore Life is a Wizard Only spell. Does that mean that if I have such a scroll and my wizard is killed, my apprentice can't read the scroll to revive the wizard*?

Good question. I guess there's nothing stopping the apprentice from using a scroll, even if he/she can't cast the spell. Not sure though.

I don't see anything preventing the use of a scroll of Brew Potion to brew expensive potions without risk. I would also read it that Greater Potions would still require the wizard to pay the listed ingredient cost. Am I missing anything?

That sounds like a very good use for the write scroll spell! Yes I reckon you'd still need to pay for the ingredients.

In the Potions in Frostgrave section of the Folio, you state that "Unless stated otherwise in a potion's description, the effects of a potion last until the end of the current game." I assume that it was not intended that the effects of an Elixir of Life last only until the end of the current game.

I would imagine you're correct.

In the same section: "The on-going effects of any potion are cancelled by anything that cancels spells, ...." As written, this would seem to imply that you could use a Dispel Magic to kill a wizard who had been raised by an Elixir of Life or to do 5 damage to a character that had been healed by a Potion of Healing. FWIW, I don't intend to play that way, but I thought it worthwhile to mention.

Heal and the elixir of life aren't ongoing spells - their effect has already happened (you got your 5 health or came back to life), unlike, say, fog or monstrous form, where the spell is still active.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:01:33 PM by jp1885 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 [102] 103   Go Up

Jump to: