lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 25, 2016, 06:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 06:36:48 PM]

[Today at 06:33:02 PM]

[Today at 06:19:40 PM]

by fred
[Today at 06:17:58 PM]

[Today at 06:09:49 PM]

[Today at 06:09:44 PM]

[Today at 06:04:33 PM]

[Today at 06:00:15 PM]

[Today at 05:44:17 PM]

[Today at 05:44:08 PM]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 84   Go Down
Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 124923 times)
joe5mc
mad scientist

« on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »

Here is the official Errata and FAQ:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXU2xuY1VORXFhd2c/view?usp=sharing

This is the main thread for any rules questions, clarifications, or for me to announce any errata.

So, to get the ball rolling, I have discovered two small mistakes (mine, it should be noted) in the spells section.

Summon Demon - should read '0-5 Imp' as opposed to '1-5' as it is possible to succeed in casting the spell by rolling equal to the casting roll.

Scatter Shot - read read 'The spellcaster may make one +0 shooting attack...'

Thankfully that's all I've got for the moment. Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:15:50 PM by joe5mc » Logged

Dewbakuk
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:15:25 PM »

What about spelling errors  Wink

So many projects..... so little time.......
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »

There are no spelling errors - perhaps, occasionally, I might use an 'alternative spelling more common to the inhabitants around Frostgrave', but that is just to add flavour.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:30:56 PM by joe5mc » Logged
mellis1644
bookworm

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »

There are no spelling errors - perhaps, occasionally, I might use an 'alternative spelling more common to the inhabitants around Frostgrave', but that is just to add flavour.

So you're with Mark Twain i.e. "I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way.". Could not agree more. Wink

My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/
Dewbakuk
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »

Cheesy
Pax
assistant

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:42:38 PM »

Don't want to start a whole new thread on this, but will there be a pdf version of the rules?
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »

Yup, a PDF will be available. Should show up on various sites on the 20th.
levied troop
librarian

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:47:44 AM »

Started reading the rules and planning the motley collection of scum, sorry war band.  Which is going to be quite addictive I fear  Smiley

Re Constructs - the spell Animate Construct refers to the building of a Construct first, but I don't see a rule for building.  Is it assumed that a Construct is simply a Soldier in the war band slot or have I missed a "Build Construct" section?

The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 08:58:07 AM »

'Building the construct' is just a handy way of saying you need to pick which kind of construct you are trying to animate before you cast the spell.

This is probably something that could be expanded in the future, although if you've got the Hunt for the Golem campaign, there are a couple of potential magical upgrades!
JamWarrior
librarian

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:02:14 AM »

When rules refer to a 'spell caster' does that include the apprentice?

Implications if so:

Two castings of each 'out of game' spell,
Two animal companions,
Two controlled (undead/animal/construct/demon),
Etc
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »

Yup, it is in the Note on Definitions section in the Spell Chapter.  'Spellcaster' means either the wizard or the apprentice. There are a few places where things are referred to as 'wizard only' or 'may only be cast by a wizard' - to show that an apprentice may NOT cast those spells.
JamWarrior
librarian

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »

Cool.  Having two chances to cast, and in some cases the possibility of double the results, is going to make me re-evaluate the Out of Game spells then!

Next a ridiculously nitpicky one, but one I can't help but ponder over.

Say my bear animal companion has received a miss next game injury.  Between games can I turn him wild and summon a new companion to get around that?

And if so, can I attempt the spell first and then only set the old bear free when I know a new one is there to replace him, or do I have to take the gamble of ending up with no bear and free the old one before I cast the spell?

I guess a similar thing counts for the control X spells.  Can one voluntarily relinquish control of a subject in order to attempt to control a new one?  And if so, do you have to relinquish before or after attempting to cast?
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 12:51:10 PM »

You can always dismiss a member of your warband between games, be that a soldier, animal, construct, demon, whatever. However, in a case where you can only have one of something, you must dismiss it first, before trying to acquire another.  It's a risk!
Ddogwood
assistant

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »

A couple of questions for clarification (forgive me if these are in the book and I just missed them):

Do attack spells, such as Elemental Bolt or Grenade, count as magic for the purposes of harming creatures that are immune to non-magical weapons?

Likewise, when a spellcaster casts an attack spell such as Elemental Bolt, does his/her Shooting stat modify the Shooting roll?

The casting number for a spell cannot be lowered below 5; is the casting penalty for casting a spell outside of one's own school applied before or after this?  That is, is the minimum casting  number for an opposed school spell 5 or 11?
joe5mc
mad scientist

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 10:21:37 PM »

Yes, all spells count as magical attacks unless the spell states otherwise (such as Bone Dart).

No, a wizard's shoot skill is for attacks with bows and crossbows only. It does not apply to spells. All other modifiers to shooting do apply, if the spells says it makes a 'shooting attack'.  (I can see an argument for playing this the other way, but it potentially makes elementalists too deadly!)

Any wizard can take the casting number for any spell down to 5, but one has to wonder if it would really be worth it for a spell in your opposed school!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 84   Go Up

Jump to: