lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2017, 03:24:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

[Today at 03:14:15 PM]

[Today at 03:09:05 PM]

[Today at 03:03:17 PM]

[Today at 03:00:25 PM]

[Today at 02:59:40 PM]

[Today at 02:58:07 PM]

[Today at 02:57:19 PM]

[Today at 02:45:53 PM]

[Today at 02:45:31 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rome sweet Rome. A planned project and a question.  (Read 3300 times)
gimzod
scientist

Location: A small village on mars just outside the capital city Whooble

« on: April 14, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »

Hey guys. ( Not sure if this is the right place. Will move if it not suppose to be here.)

Starting to draw up a plan for another project based on the internet hit Rome sweet Rome. Will be easy enough to get the marines and Romans, but have a very odd question that puzzling me. Could a roman ballista get through the front glass of a marine humvee?

Thanks for any help

commissarmoody
galactic brain

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »

I am not so sure considering I have seen the ballistic glass stop bullets. But you could totally deflate a tire. And might even be able to get into the engine block.

"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous
Modhail
mastermind

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:35:03 PM »

The answer may not be as simple as that... For example, tests have shown that modern bulletproof vests (without solid trauma plates) are quite adept at stopping a bullet, but not an arrow from a medieval bow. Something to do with the way the material responds to the differing speed and weight of these vastly different projectiles. Also, apparently, a flexible arrow shaft causes a sort of jackhammer effect at the point aiding penetration of the fabric layers.
A bullet causes a high energy impact through speed but has a relative low mass, dissipate the kinetic energy and most of the danger is averted. A ballista bolt is a significant amount of mass at slower speed. That sort of kinetic energy is harder to dissipate as you can't dissipate the projectile's mass or inertia.
I personally think a hummer window would stop the bolt at anything beyond point blank, but would worry how deep the projectile would penetrate before coming to a standstill. Even it was stopped a third of the way of the projectile length it could still injure the driver. We really should have someone with too much money run some live fire tests... Smiley

zizi666
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Location: Gent, the worlds 3rd most beautiful historical city

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »

Was thinking along the same lines as Modhail.
Some years ago there was a scare that terrorists would start using crossbows.
Tests showed that a bolt fired with 2-handed crossbow went through a torso when fired up to 90m. A small model (crossbow-pistol) could do it up to 10m.
So a large bolt fired from a ballista... (also take in account the speed of the vehicle: standing still or moving towards the firer at say 60 km/h would make quite a difference IMO)
As for the engine block.. Meh, don't see that happen.
It would be able to penetrate a radiator though and since this is the SF board, a tyre could prove very difficult :

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666
Elbows
galactic brain

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:15:21 AM »

A ballista would very likely go through the windshield of a humvee.  Bullets, while exceptionally dangerous are extremely small and expend all of their energy suddenly.  A ballista round would have some serious momentum behind it.  Now if you're talking about heavily up-armored HUMVEE's...perhaps not.  I would argue it'd likely crack the windshield terribly regardless.

Mass times acceleration and all that.  A small 55-grain bullet may be travelling at 3000 fps, but a 4-5 lb. ballista at 100-150 mph would do serious damage. 

2017 Painted Miniatures: 78
(2016: 233, 2015: 32, 2014: 116)

http://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/
Scurv
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:43:40 AM »

got a link to the source material?

gimzod
scientist

Location: A small village on mars just outside the capital city Whooble

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »

got a link to the source material?

Rome sweet Rome?

Sure  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_wEpbf68sZNjY1OWI2ZTItNjAxMS00MTEwLWI5ZTgtYjk2MzdmNTU5NzJh/edit?hl=en_US
mcfonz
mad scientist

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 12:35:23 AM »

From what I remember in regards to my time doing archery, point blank range, as in, within a couple of feet of a bow, the arrows will be less potent.

I would also say it would be pretty darned hard to fire a ballista that accurately. It wasn't aimed in the same way as a bow and tended to be deployed against blocks of troops where it was guaranteed a hit.

As for glass - it's an interesting one. The angle of the glass would be as important as it's resistance, I also suspect it depends upon the materials used in the construction of the bolt. Are you talking modern compounds or Roman ones? If Roman, I suspect it wouldn't penetrate.

Arrows are funny things, I have shot one at a health tree trunk and watched as the head sheared off and the shaft shattered into splinters.

YPU
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »

God I love this discusion! I don't believe anybody has mentioned the diference in material strenght of a bolt vs a bullet. I would argue a straight hardwood bolt shaft, let alone a metal tiped one, is much better for penetration then a lead bullet which smudges out pretty much instantly.

I'm curious if there is anything to find on the acuracy of balistas. Crosbows are pretty acurate as far as I am aware.

Your Personal Undead
mcfonz
mad scientist

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »

It's not a question of accuracy - more how it is aimed. And then you have to factor in range as well.

If you are shooting a bolt at a moving vehicle that is going across or oblique to the facing of the ballista I would question it's ability to follow the target or even lead it at all.

I think the bolt hitting the glass itself would represent very slim odds indeed. That's before discussing whether it would get through the glass.
YPU
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 08:05:24 PM »

Hypotetically, in a combat situation, in a relatively urban enviroment, say a fort where one might find a balista, the hummer would probably not travel that fast and the path would probably be predictable since a fort would have a single route designed for carts which the bummer might run into.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: