lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2017, 07:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 6609
Latest: Stan Shinn
Stats
Total Posts: 1218226
Total Topics: 94155
Online Today: 350
Online Ever: 697
(July 31, 2016, 10:46:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 18
Guests: 233
Total: 251
Recent
[Today at 07:08:07 AM]

by SotF
[Today at 06:59:53 AM]

[Today at 06:55:38 AM]

[Today at 06:45:22 AM]

[Today at 06:33:48 AM]

[Today at 06:31:24 AM]

[Today at 06:24:27 AM]

[Today at 06:06:04 AM]

[Today at 05:26:42 AM]

[Today at 05:17:04 AM]
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down
Author Topic: Squats or Space Dwarfs... In Space!  (Read 55645 times)
Mason
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Eternal Butterfly!

« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »

Love the ghillie suit.
 Love Love

Inso
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

Often confused or misunderstood...

« Reply #391 on: April 18, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »

Cheers Cheesy

The first one is finished and the second one is now on the cork Smiley . You will need to open the image in a new tab or something like that, for the 'actual size' image to be correct Smiley :

Ultravanillasmurf
mad scientist

« Reply #392 on: April 18, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »

Very nice sculpt.

Inso
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »

Cheers Smiley

The next sniper is ticking along nicely:

aliensurfer
mad scientist

« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2017, 09:42:07 PM »

They look great - but I'd lose the leaves at the front of the gun - they look like a bunch of bananas and I'd change the eyepiece area - the two circles at the moment jar with the rest of the sculpt. (not that I could do any better, it's top stuff once again)
Inso
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #395 on: April 21, 2017, 07:52:53 AM »

They look great - but I'd lose the leaves at the front of the gun - they look like a bunch of bananas and I'd change the eyepiece area - the two circles at the moment jar with the rest of the sculpt. (not that I could do any better, it's top stuff once again)

Well they are gone now.
DELTADOG
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

The two-handed G.E.C.K

« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »

Agree with the eyes. Looks a bit like a minion in ghillie suit atm :-)
Inso
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #397 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »

Agree with the eyes. Looks a bit like a minion in ghillie suit atm :-)

Well they are gone now.
Major_Gilbear
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

God-Emperor of Dune

« Reply #398 on: April 21, 2017, 10:49:42 AM »

I like them, although... I do have some suggestions (as usual!) if I may? Tongue

I think the "foliage" looks very even, and whilst I realise that any camo that's actually too realistic tends to spoil gaming miniatures by being too effective, I still think that some variation may help. What i was thinking of was making a few of the suit's leaves a bit bigger or a slightly different shape, and also adding in some fine scoring (a bit like a feather) on a few leaves here and there as well.

I also think that the gun's outline is reduced too much to a blob with a tube sticking out. If the outline of the gun under the wrapping could be made a bit more obvious (perhaps some parts of the scope peeking out/visible?), and if the barrel has some more (albeit perhaps unrealistic) features like a big silencer/flash suppressor or whatever it would help add visual interest to the model without cluttering it further.

Finally, the "Minion goggles"... I know they are gone now, but I do think that some sort of mask/goggles would be helpful to provide some character. Even if it was a normal face (painted with some roughly-applied makeup-type camo), it would still help give the viewer a part of the figure to focus on. The face and the gun seem like the important parts of this model to me anyway, even if they are obscured.

Also apologies if you weren't looking for this sort of comment - it's not to say that I don't like them (far from it!).

My painting logs: Beyond the Gates of Antares, and Malifaux.
Inso
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »

I like critique, it's good... keeps me on my toes.

The 'minion goggles' are gone... as are 'the bananas' hanging off the end of the 'fart rifle'.

The leaves are what they are, and in order to change them, I would need to start from scratch... and, in my defence, every leaf is different (in size and shape) because each and every one of them is sculpted individually. I was going for a ghillie suit look rather than a bush, hence I went for rows that could be defined as 'man made'.

The rifle being a 'blob' is deliberate. The idea is to make it not look like a rifle by applying strips of 'hairy wrap' all over it (although I have chosen a strip made of fine cam-net instead of grass). Some examples:

Wrap:

Camnetting:

http://images.esellerpro.com/2296/I/739/3/netz_pro_light_GR1.jpg

Indistinguishable rifle:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1KvlSOFXXXXa6XFXXq6xXFXXXM/Field-Grass-Tactical-Ghillie-Suit-font-b-Camouflage-b-font-font-b-Sniper-b-font-Hunting.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DUL2IbULGNc/maxresdefault.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51A8nEHWzkL._SX355_.jpg

The 'Minion goggles' were supposed to be like night vision goggles but sadly, I was unable to get the right look on an individual lens that is 3/4 mm in diameter, hence the blobby look. The lenses have been replaced by a visor instead; which looks a bit better. Incidentally, a visor/goggles is necessary because the rifle has a targeter and a blue tooth link to a head up display in the lens Smiley (that means he doesn't need to get his head down to the rifle and look through a scope).

The 'fart rifle bananas' have been removed and are now just wrapped tape. I tried to sculpt on a knot with some cloth hanging down a fraction but failed so I just kept it as wrapped tape.

Fortunately, my 'engineering head' took all the critique in a realistic way that was able to overcome my 'artistic head'; and a need to flatten them with a hammer  Laugh

Did I mention the sniper is 17 mm tall?  Cheesy
Major_Gilbear
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

God-Emperor of Dune

« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »

Oh, I do realise how small they are, and I'm impressed with how detailed they are for the size - as I said, no criticism of your skills or efforts!

I also get what you were going for, even the goggles and the "fart gun", as well as the more realistic appearance of a camo/ghillie suit.

What I was trying to get across though is that sometimes real-world camouflague is too effective for miniatures - especially considering that they are usually deliberately painted to make them stand out better! Even your ghillie suit, which features bigger leaves and still shows the shape of the individual underneath, is still a bit too effective as disguising the parts of a model that people normally focus on when they see it. In these cases, I don't think it matters too much whether it's realistic or not, as the viewer will still "understand" and appreciate the look you're going for all the same, and the points of focus on the model will help to give the models a bit more character and individuality.

In the end though, I appreciate that there are probably practical limitations to what can be done with hand-sculpting and a model at that size. I look forward to seeing the revised versions, and (hopefully?) some painted versions soon. Smiley
Inso
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #401 on: April 28, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »

I bought some of the new Kharadron Overlords today and thought I'd share a few scale pix. Before I do, I reckon that they are a bit big for this current army but have potential for a future faction... here they are:

Major_Gilbear
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

God-Emperor of Dune

« Reply #402 on: April 28, 2017, 05:22:20 PM »

Thank you for the comparison pix - they're not as large as I'd feared (even though I realise they are still pretty big...).

They look very nice though, so I'll be waiting keenly to see what you end up doing with yours! Wink
Bergil
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

Toy maker

« Reply #403 on: April 28, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »

Rather liked the goggles myself.

Andym
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #404 on: April 28, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »

Would they not work as Hearth Guard? Bigger, bulkier, hero types?

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up

Jump to: