This is simply sound policy for miniatures Kickstarters.
I think it takes some of the uncertainty out of things, and it also helps to pin down the timeline for fulfillment.
(...says the guy who is way late on fulfillment... ugh...)
I've got a full dance card for the rest of the year, I think.
My plans for 2017 go something like this, subject to the vicissitudes of fate:
- finish fulfillment for the Sleepy Sentry Kickstarter
- finish the second issue of my comic book. We sold out of the first issue, so we're doing another print run of that - www.theclockworkqueen.com
- Finish transcribing "Swallowed by an Earthquake", a 120-year-old Lost World book that Forge of Ice will be reprinting
- finish prep for the Eye of the Cyclops KS
- get online store up and running
- Launch the Eye of the Cyclops KS
- work on terrain display board
- sort out some non-Kickstarter new releases (a second Man-Ape, some more large reptiles, Sword-Billed Cranes, more Pterro-men, treasure items, etc)
- finish my novel (and a sequel! And some short stories!)
- Gen Con (maybe!)
- Prep for and launch the Occluded Court of Zor-Al Kickstarter (that's where the Queen and the Princess will be released)
In the longer term, probably next year, I have some thoughts on what I'd like to do, assuming that this year goes well:
- Figure out how to be able to release my tribe of Ape Men and also a tribe of Histath (Snake Men). Probably Kickstarter, but, I'd prefer to have them come out as regular releases.
- Plan out and do my BIG Kickstarter for my campaign setting boxed set - AZOR, complete with sourcebook, campaign module, map, cardstock buildings, etc. This will be the whole shebang - I loved the old D&D Campaign boxed sets (Dark Sun! Planescape!!), and the old Warhammer sets (McDeath, Blood Bath at Orc's Drift, etc), this will be my version of that. Then I'll finally have all the setting info in one place, rather than scattered across a dozen word documents and four sketchbooks in my house.
- After all that I have some more vague ideas, "Demon Servants of the Ape God", "Hidden City of the Leopard Men", an ice-age supplement (the frozen mountains around Azor), and an underground one (the caves & hot springs beneath Azor), too. I have a fully-fleshed out and expansive setting in my head, it's just about getting it illustrated, sculpted, and into print.
But, that stuff is so far in the future I cant do a whole lot to prep for it except to continue to write and sketch. Still, it's good to have at least a broad (and flexible!) outline for where I'd *like* to be in a year or two. Trying to do this as a full-time job is scary and uncertain, but so far I'm glad I've taken the plunge.
I'm looking forward to making that display board, too. It'll be good to have something to post here that's more traditionally forum-friendly: progress pictures of a terrain project.