lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 04:33:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 6609
Latest: Stan Shinn
Stats
Total Posts: 1217807
Total Topics: 94175
Online Today: 349
Online Ever: 697
(July 31, 2016, 10:46:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 23
Guests: 230
Total: 253
Recent
[Today at 04:23:15 AM]

[Today at 04:20:03 AM]

[Today at 04:15:26 AM]

[Today at 04:14:33 AM]

[Today at 04:12:32 AM]

[Today at 04:06:00 AM]

[Today at 03:59:11 AM]

[Today at 03:31:51 AM]

[Today at 03:09:37 AM]

[Today at 03:05:47 AM]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Build a storable, portable, folding gaming table.  (Read 18415 times)
Andrew May
mastermind

« on: August 01, 2013, 02:33:14 AM »

Over the course of our hobby, I'm sure we've all considered utilising a cheap, common wallpaper pasting table for gaming. The thought has crossed my mind several times over the years but I've always discarded the idea, the tables are too long and narrow and pretty unstable but I had a brainwave a week or so ago, now I'm not sure if anybody else has had the same thought or even already built a table like this but it's a fresh idea to me so have look at what I've been up to.
 I'm sure many of you share my problem of having too little space for a real gaming set up, especially a permanent table with any thickness for landscaping. As I mentioned, I used a pasting table but anyone with a solid set of woodworking skills could adapt the idea to make a board with different dimensions. I however have fairly rudimentary woodworking skills and an old pasting table otherwise gathering dust. My intention is to cover the table in cobbles/paving to use for VSF and dungeon crawls but I should think it'd work well with grass or hills or whatever you like.
The idea is to actually build the board on the inside of the table, thus protecting it once it's folded away also I'm changing the edge that the table folds along making a nice square surface, it's hard to explain so I hope I make sense, here come the pictures.
Here's what I did so far......

Take one ordinary pasting table.

It opens like this, pretty useless....

Still, open it flat and carfully remove the legs.

Now remove the hinges.

Now turn the halves 90deg and put the hinges on, this time on the other edge (I drilled guide holes using the hinge as a template).

Next take the legs and cut them down to fit the inside width to use as braces (the fibreboard surface is pretty flimsy!)

Now with white glue underneath and screws in each end through the frame, fix the bracing.

I found some more wood to brace with in the shed and used the off cuts of the legs to make cross bracing. Make sure your extra braces are the same thickness as the legs or it will cause problems later!! (as I found out) Laugh

Next using guide holes drilled from the other side I used little screws to fix the bracing securely to the board. There's no real depth to the fibreboard for countersinking so the next step is pretty essential.

I got two cheap foamed sleeping mats for camping and glued them to the board. This covers the screwheads and protects the board. It'll also protect the board from slipping off of where ever you lay it.

Here's it finished, the edges were fixed down with superglue.

And here it is folded again.

And weighted with heavy books to help the gluing (I actually added more and distributed them more evenly).

Next comes the infill, I used really cheap polystyrene packing sheets to build the bilk of the board. Some areas have been left shallow as I want to add scenic elements below the regular playing surface, you could carve a river or trenches or whatever you like (allowing for bracing).

Next the surface layers of blue styrofoam are built up. If you plan better you might only need one layer.
I forgot to photograph between stages here but in the picture I have used a plane, chisels and belt sander to reduce the height of the two lengths of wood that form the internal section of the frame. When I add the next layer of styrofoam they should be fairly flush with the playing surface, only needing a little work to disguise (that's the plan at least!)  Hypno

For added stability at the edges I've inserted short lengths of cut down cocktail stick, the theory is that they should help reduce the compression that could occur from knocks or leaning players! 

Here's where I am now, all surfaces ready to receive the next layer of styrofoam (I'm actually waiting for more styrofoam glue to arrive!) The plan is to make a collapsed basement and sewer into the two larger open areas and leave the others paved to recieve senic inserts, whether they be just steps or objectives.

Thanks for reading, I hope to see more tables like this appear in due course. I will post an update once the glue arrives amd I've had time to work on it more. Cheesy

Grimm
Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
The Colonial Tales Winner
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »

having too little space for a real gaming set up

thats is also my problem and I like the Idea you deal with it ...thanks

ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708
jimbibbly
elder god

Remember, the ox is slow, but the earth is patient

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

Groovy idea mate  Cool

cheers

James

sandsmodels
Supporting Adventurer
librarian

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »

great idea that

www.sandsmodels.com
sales@sandsmodels.com
makers of 20mm and 28mm vehicles, guns, figures and buildings for the gamer.
Atheling
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »

Impressive!! Really is  Cool Cool Cool

I'd give it a go if I had a girlfriend who didn't mind me moving our rather large dining table to one side when i'm gaming.

(I put terrain boards on the table)

Darrell.

Just Add Water II Blog (Painting etc):
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Hundred Years War):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gewalthaufen Blog (Late 15th Century Blog):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
white knight
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »

Hmm, this gives me ideas to do something similar. Would be a good solution to store various boards with minimal hassle too.

Andrew May
mastermind

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »

Impressive!! Really is  Cool Cool Cool

I'd give it a go if I had a girlfriend who didn't mind me moving our rather large dining table to one side when i'm gaming.

(I put terrain boards on the table)

Darrell.

This is to put on top of the table too, no legs involved!
Atheling
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »

Oh.... I really should pay more attention Laugh

Darrell.
white knight
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

Yeah, I was wondering for a while what was the purpose of the outside foam mat layer, but then I figured out it was to protect the surface of your kitchen/dining table.  Wink
Centaur_Seducer
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »

Good job!
Mason
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Eternal Butterfly!

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »

Bloody brilliant, mate!
 Cool

Watching with interest.
 Cheesy

Andrew May
mastermind

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »

Yeah, I was wondering for a while what was the purpose of the outside foam mat layer, but then I figured out it was to protect the surface of your kitchen/dining table.  Wink

Yeah, you have to read the text too Wink Laugh
As I said, it stops the board from slipping around too also protects against knocks well.
uti long smile
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »

Nicely done!

Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV
Mason
Supporting Adventurer
elder god

Eternal Butterfly!

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »

Yeah, you have to read the text too Wink Laugh
As I said, it stops the board from slipping around too also protects against knocks well.

I have two wooden batons on the bottom of my board that clamp nicely to my kitchen table to stop it slipping, but I do have to put a cloth on the table to stop it scraping.

I think I will be shamelessly stealing your foam mat idea to negate the need for the cloth and to help grip better.
Nice one!
 Cheesy

Rivera
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

"Left hand down a bit ...."

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »

That is truly an excellent idea and well planned and thought out Cool

"My God, it's full of stars".  Dave Bowman.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: