lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2017, 03:18:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 03:15:29 PM]

[Today at 03:12:28 PM]

[Today at 03:10:29 PM]

[Today at 03:07:57 PM]

[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

[Today at 02:54:13 PM]

[Today at 02:53:14 PM]

[Today at 02:44:11 PM]

[Today at 02:21:55 PM]

[Today at 02:18:02 PM]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Days of Antiquity (Day VII, p.3)  (Read 13246 times)
Mad Doc Morris
mastermind

Olympus speaketh?

« on: February 25, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »

A couple of weeks ago the Prof came up with this silly idea to mutually paint up a bunch of models, stage them here and call it an "Ancients week". But who am I to disagree with our valued leader? Cheesy
Honestly, though, this's an exciting challenge for both of us. Starting today the Prof and myself will post pictures of seven Ancients-themed models that we randomly chose and painted up for this joint venture. So the Seven Days of Antiquity shall commence!

Less flamboyantly put, here's the first entry on my part. It is a so-called thureophoros or "shield-bearer", originally acquired to bolster my Successor army but stowed away since then.

The thureophoroi were up-armoured skirmishers: javelinmen protected by helmets and oval (i.e. Celtic) shields and sometimes geared up with a long spear for close combat as well. During the 3rd century BC they became predominant as mercenaries and a mainstay of many Successor armies.

The model itself is by Crusader Miniatures. Regarding the colours I tried to roughly follow the information provided by Ian Head's "Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars" with a bit of artistic license on the blue helmet (a phalangite's feature) and the striped javelins (just a fancy look). Since many Successor states were based in the Near East or, at least, recruited there, I chose a more oriental skin tone for a change.

And that's it for Monday, folks! Now it's the Prof's turn. Wink
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:05:03 PM by Mad Doc Morris » Logged

Conquering Lead Mountain – my hobby cabinet

Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »

I was glad when Doc said, well, he could imagine give the idea of a Ancients week a try, it was a great fun and I hope it's not our last common project.

Surely it's not easy to start after that smashing painting job on that thureophoroi, Doc has an ability to paint Ancient miniatures with so much impression and character..top notch!

I've chosen that Assyrian miniature for the first day. It's a Foundry miniature, sculpted by one of the Perry brothers and it's a part of my large Assyrian army (unfortunately unpainted army). I've bought the army about 12-13 years ago and this is the second painted miniature from the lot.. Yes, it's a shame Smiley

The miniature depicts an officer of Assyrian light unarmoured auxiliary infantry, late 9th, early 8th century BC. He is identified as commander above all by the mace (instead of a spear).

Christian
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

... standing on the shoulders of giants.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »

This looks like the start of something amazing! Great work so far Smiley

Aventine
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:15 PM »

I have to say, well done, those are very very good. Look forward to some more...

Cheers

Keith
vonplutz
librarian

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »

This is such a cool idea! They both look grea.

HerbyF
mastermind

Why fear nightmares when you can be one

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:35:48 AM »

Perhaps we should make the LPL themes this time around should be Assyrians.

LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +224
Furt
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Barbarous...

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »

Bloody beautiful  Love  Love  Love

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Mad Doc Morris
mastermind

Olympus speaketh?

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »

Cheers, guys! Smiley
The second day sees me returning to an old love: the Romans, and Roman centurions in particular. My collection would probably allow me to portray each and every centurion in the Roman army at the empire's peak (have fun calculating). Still, there's no proportionate array of ordinary footsloggers to be pushed around by them. Cheesy

This fellow is from Foundry's Late Republican range, thus meant to represent a centurion in the armies of such personalities like Pompey, Caesar or Octavian. In this period of civil strife it might have been useful to scribble the name of your legion onto your shield – in this case I chose the Legio VIII (Augusta), which was heavily involved in all major conflicts of the time. The model itself has been converted to appear like blowing a whistle (as seen in the opening scenes of the TV series "Rome"). Nobody knows if the Romans actually used such devices in combat, but it's plausible to me at least. That said, the conversion went slightly wrong, and now he looks more like Columbo. Nevermind. Roll Eyes

Since I'm often accused of having a soft spot for quirky colours and equipment when it comes down to Ancient figures, I had to live up to that reputation. Hence the blue crest and tunic as well as the white shield were inspired by Graham Sumner's picture of Pullo & Vorenus. In turn, the blue/red pteruges of the model's arming vest (subarmalis) originate from this reconstruction for the Ala Batavorum. And yes, I'm that sad to do such asserted 'research'. Wink

That's it for today. Handing over to the Prof.
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »

Just to keep the track led by Doc, I've decided to put my new Roman tribune to the thread. Titus Tiberius Narbon, born in the Roman province Gallia Narbonensis and following Caesar on his conquest of Gaul all the long years from 58 BC to 50 BC  (don't try to ggogle for him, he's a fictive person).

I have to admit, I didn't do any research on the colours, just went for a suitable colour scheme. The miniature is from Foundry, their Roman Caesarian range, my all-time favorite Roman range, sculpted by Mark Copplestone.

Sanguine Sacrificium
lurker

brush-noob

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »

Stunning work guys.... really...

and to appease our Prof: even in the science of history it's not completely clarified how the roman armory was colored especially considering the troops with a non-italic origin.

but independent from this, i have to say again, just great work  Shocked

\"For the Emperor and Sanguinius!\"
WH40K: ~ 1700 pts Tau (just in the glass cabinet for nostalgic reasons ) || ~ XXXX pts Blood Angels (WiP)
Doomsdave
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:22 AM »

I'm really enjoying this thread.  I love Columbo the Centurion.

This is my boomstick!
Christian
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

... standing on the shoulders of giants.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »

Lovely work Smiley I have not really been a fan of ancient Rome, but these miniatures really pique my interest. Well, at the very least I can just appreciate the great work you guys are doing Smiley
Mad Doc Morris
mastermind

Olympus speaketh?

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »

Parents beware, we're getting a bit grittier. And in case you didn't notice, today it's New Year's Eve! (At least, if you're still adhering to the old Roman calendar.) Hence, probably time for a "memento moriendum". And what better opportunity then to join the gladiatorial crowd here on LAF?

This is Hilarus, former gladiator, scarred and victorious in countless combats, and despite his name absolutely humourless. So he's the right man to finish off any poor soul who's unable to leave the arena on his own feet. And he does this with a nasty looking hammer…

Hilarus' appearance resembles Charun, an Etruscan netherworld demon (likely a merging with the more famous boatman Charon). It's a reminder of the games' origin in funeral ceremonies, where blood was spilt in honour of the gods and to pacify the spirits of the death.
The model's from Crusader and, admittedly, it's rather plain. Not much detail to pick out. But I love its theatre mask, and I've tried to underline the exaggerated style, resembling a grey-haired, grumpy old man.

Hope you like him, anyway. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:01:52 PM by Mad Doc Morris » Logged
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »

Today on the old Roman New Year's Eve (thanks for reminder, Doc!) we have a gladiatorial theme. You know, one of the favorit Ancient gaming topics.I always was wondering how a gladiator would look with black clothes. This was the opportunity to make an attempt and I think the black works quite good.

This is a venator, one of the unusual gladiator types, though actually they weren't real gladiators. Venators (lat. hunters) were specialized in hunting/slaying or fighting (bestiarii) of wild animals.

The miniature is made by Foundry, from their "Arena Champions" pack, though I'm not sure about who sculpted it.

luidinuovo
scientist

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:35:06 AM »

Great works.I look forward to the remaining days.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: