lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2017, 03:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 03:15:29 PM]

[Today at 03:12:28 PM]

[Today at 03:10:29 PM]

[Today at 03:07:57 PM]

[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

[Today at 02:54:13 PM]

[Today at 02:53:14 PM]

[Today at 02:44:11 PM]

[Today at 02:21:55 PM]

[Today at 02:18:02 PM]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Days of Antiquity (Day VII, p.3)  (Read 13244 times)
Mad Doc Morris
mastermind

Olympus speaketh?

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »

At the sixth day I come to the last of the Romans – given that it's my last Roman model in this series as well as its background in our future Dux Britanniarum campaign. Born into a family of Roman senators and consuls – at least that's what they told him – Flavius Victorinus stands firm against the barbarian tide. He won't let them flooding the frontiers of Gaul to blow out the candle of civilisation…

Of course, that's just 19th century xenophobic blabber projected into the Ancient period. But never let history get in the way of a good story! Actually, I like drama, and I like the way that's captured by this particular figure from Foundry. After all, the model isn't very "late Roman" in style but rather the classical image of a Republican officer warped into Late Antiquity.

Despite being somewhat aged – it's dwarfed by any other model in this series – it's one of those nicely detailed and expressive Perry sculpt that will stand the test of time. I just added a shield to its back, trying to give Victorinus a more warlike look. The (slightly rascist) motif has been adapted, again, from a shield found at Dura Europos. I assumed that 4th/5th century Christian soldiers weren't that picky about depicting pagan goddesses on their shields if they served their purpose as lucky charms.

Okay, folks, for me it's up to the final round then. Stay tuned.

Conquering Lead Mountain – my hobby cabinet

Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »

No we go with some prominence. Alexander the Great himself, one of the top favorite ancient heroes/stars. It's a Foundry model and I also own their mounted version of him. After some struggling I've decided to take this one to foot. Just because there are alredy hundreds painted mounted Alexanders on the internet and not that much of him without a horse. At least so my impression.

I've bought him planning the playing of the Battle of Gaugamela (331 BC), one of the most famous battles of the Ancient History. But you know, making of games of this scale is just too much for most of us. Also to me and the good thing is that in the meantime I have undertstand and accepted this fact.

Recently I've read Osprey's "Army of Alexander the Great" and according to the illustrations and various interpretations, the purple was one of the very dominant colours in this army, combined with yellow stripes and similar. So I did use that combination for his clothes with some white, pale-blue and what else..that perpetual red Smiley

Plynkes
The Royal Bastard
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

I killed Mufasa!

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »

Those deely-boppers are so Eighties, man.  Smiley

This thread is too gorgeous.

"Ten to make and the match to win—
An hour to play and the last man in."
Colonel Tubby
mastermind

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »

This has been a great thread, the skill shown for a single day's painting is awesome.

A pitty it must end all too soon. Cry

2017 Lead Tally: Purchased=3    Painted=28    Balance=+25
2016 Lead Tally: Purchased=196 Painted=173  Balance=-23
2015 Lead Tally: Purchased=86   Painted=113  Balance=+27
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »

Victorinus is a triumph  Love
(And Alexander isn't too bad Wink)

Cholly
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

Put the gun down.............Please?

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »

Both excellent again!! Love this thread. And Flavius' shield is  Shocked

Lt. Hazel
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »

Your work is so freaking opte! Ancients are the most colourfull period, and your paintjobs suit this well selected modells perfectlty. Some Greeks would be nice though...

Mad Doc Morris
mastermind

Olympus speaketh?

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »

Sorry to disappoint once again, but the following entry's as Greekish as I get this round.
Given the appearance of Alexander in this thread, I'd like to start my final entry with a quoting the Great one's own uncle who, after campaigning in Italy and being defeated there, remarked that he had encountered men whereas his nephew in the East only had to face women. Admittedly, that's bequeathed by Roman authors, but… Cheesy

My very first historical army was themed on the Italian campaigns of king Pyrrhos of Epeiros. Back in the day there were no dedicated models to portray all the different troop types that Pyrrhos had assembled, let alone a miniature for the Eagle King himself. Imagine my joy when Aventine came up with this one!

Pyrrhos was a dashing commander, spearheading his troops like his alleged ancestor Achilleus, always in danger of being killed in the thick of battle – though, eventually and quite ingloriously he was brought down by a roof tile. I just love the way that boldness is conveyed by the model. (Just in case: the Roman helmet's not included. Wink )

Painting was pretty straight forward. There are some, mainly Roman, sources describing Pyrrhos' appearance, for example his purple cloak, white plume and a golden wreath on his helmet. The "horns of a goat" were actually rather those of a ram as sported by the great Alexander in reference to his divine father, Zeus Ammon. Royal cloaks were often richly decorated with mythological scenes or astrological symbols, but I limited this to the sign of Epeiros (its name in Greek letters) as seen on contemporary coins. Lastly, the leopard's gilt head has been inspired by Phil Hendry's take on the very same model.

Now, this figure could well be the revival of an old love, since the range by Aventine has opened up a lot of possibilities. However, that's a matter for another thread. This one's finished, and I'd like to conclude with thanks to the Prof for coming up with this refreshing idea. And, of course, I'm looking forward to the next one!
Kugelfang
assistant

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »

Wow. What really impresses me with this one is the leopard skin. It really catches the eye. Can't wait to try that on a figure of my own. Great job!

--jeff.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:55:41 PM by Kugelfang » Logged

Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »

On our very last day of this thread I'm coming up with a Scythian horse archer. It's from Foundry's small but a very fine Scythians range made by Perry brothers. I've got them all and some of them are already painted but this is the first one that I would show. Others need some repaint first Smiley

This guy could depict a Scythian rider from about 5-4 century BC, somewhere from north of the Black Sea or modern South Russia. The original model has a bow in the left hand. I've replaced it with a spear/javelin, just to enhance the visual effect.

Now time to close our Ancient week, thanks to Doc for his readiness to participate on that silly idea and I'm already looking forward to the next common project in the future. Hope you liked it and hope it has inpired you for some hours of painting or whatever.
airbornegrove26
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »

Just stumbled on this thread....wow!!!!  Loving the progress guys. 
Awesome paint jobs, and loads of inspiration as always.

Ray Rivers
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »

Shocked

Some really special work on this thread.  Love

Been following it from the start.

Please don't stop...  Smiley
Poliorketes
King of the Congo
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Never look back

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »

Really great stuff, guys! And lovely miniatures! Have to take a closer look at Aventine, last time I visited their range was much smaller.

If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)
Centaur_Seducer
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »

Splendid job the both of you!
It's a pity that so few have discovered this great thread though Sad

Not that you'd do it again, but I'd love to see some sea people next time Wink
Blackwolf
Potato Cup 3 winner
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 04:30:52 AM »

Lovely Love the Parthian,Alex is magnificent!

May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Jump to: