lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2017, 03:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 03:15:29 PM]

[Today at 03:12:28 PM]

[Today at 03:10:29 PM]

[Today at 03:07:57 PM]

[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

[Today at 02:54:13 PM]

[Today at 02:53:14 PM]

[Today at 02:44:11 PM]

[Today at 02:21:55 PM]

[Today at 02:18:02 PM]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Days of Antiquity (Day VII, p.3)  (Read 13248 times)
Blackwolf
Potato Cup 3 winner
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »

Lovely work both Love

May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.
The Dozing Dragon
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:29 AM »

Excellent PJs!

Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »

Superb, both of you  Love

And a shining example of collaborative Teutonic efficiency  Wink

Chilledenuff
librarian

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »

Love  Great stuff.  a real inspiration.

Note to self:  Must get my greeks put together...

Smile!  It's not that bad!
Mad Doc Morris
mastermind

Olympus speaketh?

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »

And a shining example of collaborative Teutonic efficiency  Wink

Nah, that Russian guy's way more efficient than me lazy Teuton, I tell you. Cheesy

Anyway, here we go with Day IIII (or IV, if you prefer).
As you might already have noticed, I am nuts about all things Roman. But even I have to acknowledge that, besides the good stuff "the Romans actually did for us", there are quite a few darker facets to it as well. The Romans were perfectly capable of behaviour otherwise deemed as barbaric and basically foreign to "western culture". There's an illustration in Osprey's latest volume on the Roman centurion, depicting a soldier who presents a severed head to his emperor (obviously derived from a scene from Trajan's Column). This image, in turn, might have inspired Aventine Miniatures' Adam to sculpt today's model:

The figure appears in their Marcomannic Wars range, which I adore. Coincidentally, there's an inscription dedicated by a centurion of Legio XV Apollinaris, who could have seen action in this particular conflict, and he's suitably named Caius Sacidius Barbarus. So I chose him as a namesake for the miniature.

I tried to contrast the fair-haired centurion in his Gallic cape (famously called caracalla) with his fancy coloured gear and the German's black hair, in order to blur the distinction between "civilised" and "barbarian" a bit further. (And I don't want to mention how many times I repainted this bloody cape!)

For now, only one more Roman to expect from my side, I promise. Wink
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:34:06 PM by Mad Doc Morris » Logged

Conquering Lead Mountain – my hobby cabinet

Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »

I'm not that crazy about all things Roman like Doc, so I'm going with a Thracian. And you see he's a headhunter, too. Chopping off heads was an usual business for every respectable Thracian so they didn't make a big deal out of this like Romans showing off. Though I have to point out that my miniature has three severed heads. Not only one  Cheesy

Anyway. This is a lovely Foundry miniature. I have bought the entire Thracian range, building a Greek army years ago and this was one of the several unpainted miniatures there. Glad I did it finally.

As far as I know the figure could cover a wide period of time. In that dress he could be a mercenary in the greek armies of 4th BC or also fight together with his tribesmen against late republican Romans.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:41:32 PM by Prof.Witchheimer » Logged
Centaur_Seducer
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »

I love this thread Doc & Prof! Keep it up, and please continue to spoil us Love

And I have to admit, I'm a bit bitten with the ancient bug after watching these fine examples Wink
einarolafson
mastermind

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »

Shocked Shocked You are doing a fantastic job here!! Love the Centurions and the Thracian!!

Kugelfang
assistant

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 11:37:58 PM »

Just wanted to add my appreciation to the thread. I am greatly enjoying the terrific painting. Truly inspiring!

--jeff

LeadAsbestos
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 05:58:03 AM »

If either of you wanted to break up the monotony ( Shocked) and paint a Trojan/Greek, I might know someone who could hook you up w/ an unpainted one. Just to help out, of course... Roll Eyes

Cholly
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

Put the gun down.............Please?

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »

Loving this thread. Great PJs on nice varied miniatures. Must say whenever I see patterned cloaks etc I am filled with envy, even with a million repaints I can never seem to get it right and those last two with the palid cloak and the paterned hood look especially lovely.  Smiley

Jase
Supporting Adventurer
scientist

BristleBag

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »

Lovely miniatures!

Why not add another seven days after this one is finished. I find the eye candy definitely inspiring Smiley

" border="0

Pouches for all purposes
Keith
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »

Best thread in ages (and that's saying something)! Great stuff guys.

Do you reckon you could keep this up for a month for us?  Cheesy

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

" width="50" height="50" border="0
Mad Doc Morris
mastermind

Olympus speaketh?

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »

First off, for all those who want to see a sequel to this series: It's not immediately ahead but there's talk about that already. At the moment we're unable to include requests, unfortunately, but maybe next time. Meanwhile I'd like to encourage anyone with an interest in this to start their own theme week – it's fun and a welcome diversion from other "hobby duties".

Anyway, as my Day V entry I've chosen – surprisingly enough! – no Roman. It's a Sassanid Persian infantryman, one of those disdained footsloggers in the King of King's great army. To give him a certain glamour, nonetheless, I named him Arya ("noble").

This is a fairly old model from Gripping Beast. But this range was among my first encounters with historical wargames at all, and it was love from first sight. Only recently, though, with my venture into the Roman 3rd century I found an excuse to actually buy some of those miniatures as opponents. Now the first one's been painted, and here's hope for a SAGA-sized force to come…

Given Arya's low rank (and the lack of detail on the model, admittedly), there's no need for flashy colours. The paintjob's loosely based on various illustrations found on the web, the 'bamboo pole' being a – more or less – educated guess. Also, I've thrown in blue and yellow for the shield since, possibly, this piece has been provided by Arya's landlord. And, please, don't mock his globe hat, he can get quite angry about that… Angry
Prof.Witchheimer
Administrator
elder god

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »

How Doc said, it's probably not our last joint venture project and we already have some ideas to talk about, but when this week ends, this thread unfortunately will end too.

No Foundry today, as you see. An Aventine miniature, their standard bearer from the Northern Italian Hill Tribes command set. That set is a great bunch of lovely looking miniatures and I would like to highly recommend it to anyone - http://www.aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=53_25&products_id=100

How Aventine mentions there: "This set has been designed to represent the Hill Tribes from the North of Italy where they had more contact with the Celts". I loved this celtish touch and had to buy this set. The same order also contained their entire Volscian range so one day I really hope to get me into that Early Republican Roman gaming.

btw, I've used one of the LBM shield decals for this one.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: