lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2017, 11:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 11:40:37 PM]

[Today at 11:39:36 PM]

[Today at 11:39:24 PM]

[Today at 11:38:37 PM]

[Today at 11:36:22 PM]

[Today at 11:33:18 PM]

[Today at 11:31:58 PM]

[Today at 11:26:33 PM]

[Today at 11:24:45 PM]

[Today at 11:22:40 PM]
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 [114] 115   Go Down
Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms - Scum of the earth, PAINTED! 27 March  (Read 395611 times)
grant
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #1695 on: January 08, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »

Indeed! You should get a hearty thank you from Perry Mins!

The first half of my order has arrived and I am super impressed with them; the metals are good, but the plastics are amazing.

Hope to get into them sometime soon. So many projects it seems.
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #1696 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »

Indeed! You should get a hearty thank you from Perry Mins!

To be fair, they have given me a few freebies - although I do also spend a fair amount with them!

Interesting question, something I've wondered about - would they use the same horses as their WOTR kits or do new ones? If the latter I can't imagine they would be much different....

Well, the WOTR range was all done by Michael - the Agincourt to Orleans plastic kits are by Alan, and as we know, although they are very easily interchangeable, they are slightly different in style as well as size. So although it would be tempting, I'm sure, for them to just re-use the same horses again, knowing what sticklers they are for accuracy -including the right kind of tack for 1415 rather than 1485 - and the fact that the riders will be done by Alan too presumably, I think there's at least a chance that they'll treat us with some new horses  Smiley

Let's face it, they've done a gazillion different horses for all Alan's various Napoleonic cavalry sets...

Arthur
mastermind

« Reply #1697 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »

If they stuck with the Late 15th Century and the first couple of years of the 16th, their Landsknechts would actually be unique; at least as far as I know nobody does any that would represent them that early.

Actually, TAG have just released a small metal range of early landsknechts for the 1490-1510 period :

http://www.theassaultgroup-shop.co.uk/imperialist
aphillathehun
bookworm

« Reply #1698 on: January 09, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »

To be fair, they have given me a few freebies - although I do also spend a fair amount with them!

Well, the WOTR range was all done by Michael - the Agincourt to Orleans plastic kits are by Alan, and as we know, although they are very easily interchangeable, they are slightly different in style as well as size. So although it would be tempting, I'm sure, for them to just re-use the same horses again, knowing what sticklers they are for accuracy -including the right kind of tack for 1415 rather than 1485 - and the fact that the riders will be done by Alan too presumably, I think there's at least a chance that they'll treat us with some new horses  Smiley

Let's face it, they've done a gazillion different horses for all Alan's various Napoleonic cavalry sets...

I would love more horses.  I'm not that keen on the existing ones.  I keep forgetting what a pain it is to paint the horse trappings on these - next group I'll file off those studs all the way 'round.  And I always spend a fair bit of time fixing the seam on their backs.  I mean, they are beautiful sculpts but just create a lot of extra work that I'd rather not do.

Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #1699 on: January 09, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »

Yep. The studs are a pain in the arse to paint. I often shave them off.
I think someone calculated there was something like 13,000 possible permutations from the available horse parts and horse armour in the MMAA set... I've made up about 70 so far. I must admit, I still think Perry make far and away the best horse sculpts of anyone in 28mm. But even I'm getting a wee bit bored of them now.

Simon (Painterman) must have done about 200! I expect he could do with some more variety too  Smiley

I actually love painting horseflesh. But I loathe painting tack, manes and tails. So horses are a mixed blessing for me. Part pleasure, part chore. Funny, isn't it?  Wink
aphillathehun
bookworm

« Reply #1700 on: January 09, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »

I actually love painting horseflesh. But I loathe painting tack, manes and tails. So horses are a mixed blessing for me. Part pleasure, part chore. Funny, isn't it?  Wink

Yeah, that sounds about right!

Charlie_
mad scientist

« Reply #1701 on: January 09, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »

Yep. The studs are a pain in the arse to paint. I often shave them off.
I think someone calculated there was something like 13,000 possible permutations from the available horse parts and horse armour in the MMAA set... I've made up about 70 so far. I must admit, I still think Perry make far and away the best horse sculpts of anyone in 28mm. But even I'm getting a wee bit bored of them now.

Simon (Painterman) must have done about 200! I expect he could do with some more variety too  Smiley

I think the plastic horses are absolutely fantastic, truly wonderful, so realistic, cannot be beaten!!!!

But I haven't actually painted any of mine yet...  Roll Eyes

My new year's goal is to finally get round to painting cavalry. I have nearing 300 infantry right now, so it's about time... I have painted 6 of their metal horses for some command models and really enjoyed it actually, am very pleased with how they came out. Those are also very good sculpts (though irritatingly ever-so-much-smaller than the plastic ones).

I haven't painted the studs on the tack as metal, just kept them the same colour as everything else, and it works fine. I'll do the same on the plastics, and probably shave some of them off too. But I also don't paint the metal studs on the brigandine bodies, and think they look fine!

But seriously though, they are really excellent horse sculpts.

I just WISH they had some of the plastics (or some excuse to make some new ones) in standing and walking poses. I don't want all my cavalry galloping at all times! So it will be interesting to see if the HYW cavalry allow any such poses, and whether the horses will be easy to switch across ranges.
IgnatiusO
student

« Reply #1702 on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »

What would seal the range for me is a box of halberdiers/pikemen, in good poses. The shouldered pikes / polearms in the mercenaries box are nice but obviously limited, and the bill / halberd arms in the WOTR box aren't the most useful for large ranked up units.... I'd love a box just for infantry with polearms in good natural poses, held in two hands, from upright to lowered and everything in between... The arms could be part of the bodies, with separate hands with weapons for different polearms and pikes. That would do it for me!

I agree with this!

I found myself looking at the ECW line, which has a variety of pike wielding poses, to see if you could fudge it. It looked unfeasible.

I did a bit of hacking at a pair of gun arms from the Mercenaries box and got what looks reasonable (likely only to me) as a pose with a pole arm. However it took the use of files, blades, and profanity to get it done. I still have to fill gaps now. It was a lot of work for something that probably doesn't justify the effort.
aphillathehun
bookworm

« Reply #1703 on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:02 AM »

Any rumors about upcoming Perry plastics for medievals?  Seems like there hasn't been much news at all about plastics from them though I think you mentioned they said at some point they would do Agincourt mounted knights.
Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #1704 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »

Michael Perry did say that, but he didn't say when.
The Zulu War British infantry set is coming next. Beyond that, they've gone very quiet on the plastic pipeline... No doubt more Napoleonics and ACW will be coming along soon. And I'm sure we'll see a new set previewed at Salute... can't help thinking plastic Zulus have got to be on the cards, although plastic Pathans would be a more useful and versatile set for all sorts of things...
Lowtardog
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #1705 on: February 17, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »

Michael Perry did say that, but he didn't say when.
The Zulu War British infantry set is coming next. Beyond that, they've gone very quiet on the plastic pipeline... No doubt more Napoleonics and ACW will be coming along soon. And I'm sure we'll see a new set previewed at Salute... can't help thinking plastic Zulus have got to be on the cards, although plastic Pathans would be a more useful and versatile set for all sorts of things...

I am thinking Zulus rather than pathans as think to get the multi pose possibilities with their flowing robes must be more problematic than semi naked zulus
Mick_in_Switzerland
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #1706 on: February 17, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »

I do not know why they would want to prioritise Zulus.  I think it would not make commercial sense.
Both Wargames Factory and Warlord have made plastic Zulus in the past few years.  I have painted about 150 of them.

I think the market for a new Zulu box would be very limited because if people want Zulus they already have "fausands of em".

Parthans would be no more difficult than Zouaves to mould and would be a new army in plastic.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:38:20 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland » Logged

Captain Blood
Global Moderator
elder god

« Reply #1707 on: February 17, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »

Well, you say that Mick, but the same thing applies to Zulu War British infantry (already available in plastic), and the Perrys are about to release them.

Also - it's a matter of personal taste I know - but I think the Wargames Factory/Warlord Zulu War plastics are ropey in the extreme. Perry plastics on the other hand, are the best there are. I'm pretty sure Perry plastic ANYTHING will be a good seller. When quality manufacturers produce a product that's attractive enough, they will tempt all sorts of people into a new period that may previously have been holding off. Other will 'trade up' to the better product.
I think we'll see plastic Zulus from the Perrys sooner or later.

Anyway... Back on topic. Haven't done anything much with this thread for a year now. I'm slacking Roll Eyes
But I will get back to it one day soon  Smiley
Dr. The Viking
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.

« Reply #1708 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »

Well, you say that Mick, but the same thing applies to Zulu War British infantry (already available in plastic), and the Perrys are about to release them.

Also - it's a matter of personal taste I know - but I think the Wargames Factory/Warlord Zulu War plastics are ropey in the extreme. Perry plastics on the other hand, are the best there are. I'm pretty sure Perry plastic ANYTHING will be a good seller. When quality manufacturers produce a product that's attractive enough, they will tempt all sorts of people into a new period that may previously have been holding off. Other will 'trade up' to the better product.
I think we'll see plastic Zulus from the Perrys sooner or later.

Anyway... Back on topic. Haven't done anything much with this thread for a year now. I'm slacking Roll Eyes
But I will get back to it one day soon  Smiley

This is absolute truth.

I have hold off being any Zulu since they announced they were releasing it. I have painted some odd 100 Warlord Zulu so far. No more! Never again.

G.T.T.

Prisoner 24601
Tordenkuglen
bookworm

Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball

Location: http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?board=286.0

« Reply #1709 on: March 03, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »

Holy Mother of smokes, thats pure art at its best, Im impressed Cheesy lots of inspiration Cheesy

Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 [114] 115   Go Up

Jump to: