lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:48:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 12:43:28 PM]

[Today at 12:42:21 PM]

[Today at 12:37:16 PM]

[Today at 12:36:20 PM]

[Today at 12:26:54 PM]

[Today at 12:24:19 PM]

[Today at 12:22:16 PM]

[Today at 12:19:22 PM]

[Today at 12:17:59 PM]

[Today at 12:17:53 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Painting British MTP camo?  (Read 6310 times)
Gluteus Maximus
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

Location: Down in Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

« on: February 05, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but has anyone posted a tutorial on how to do this quickly and effectively without spending 5 hours per figure?

I've been studying it, but it has me baffled  Sad

Cheers!

Inso
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

Often confused or misunderstood...

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »

Is that the brand-new camo that we are using in Afghanistan?

It may be an idea to post a link/pic so we can get an idea of what you are after Smiley .

Svennn
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

Balding bloke with a 'V'

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »

Is that the brand-new camo that we are using in Afghanistan?

It may be an idea to post a link/pic so we can get an idea of what you are after Smiley .

Especially for old codgers like me Grin Lets see what you want and see if we can come up with some ideas

"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"
Steve F
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »

It's a variant of the pattern used by the US Marines, with the shapes stretched out a bit in a deliberate attempt to recall good old DPM.

2012 tally (26 September) - Sold: several thousand.  Bought: 301*.  Painted: 196.
(*of which - Doctor Who Adventures freebies: 128, others: 173).
2011 tally (final) - Bought: 322.  Painted: 144.
Gluteus Maximus
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

Location: Down in Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

It's a variant of the pattern used by the US Marines, with the shapes stretched out a bit in a deliberate attempt to recall good old DPM.

Yep - any attempt to do a detailed copy of the pattern in 28mm would look far too "busy". The problem is that it has no strong pattern such as DPM, SS peadot or the old US desert camo (or even the good old fahioned Highland plaid) that makes it easy to do an abstract version that is wrong but looks right.

In real life, from more than a few feet it just looks pale greenish khaki with the odd darker splodge, but on 28mm figures that looks wrong to me  Confused

It's a very effective "anytime-anywhere" type camo though and I personally think it looks pretty good. Not perfect in most theatres, but good enough in all of them.

carlos marighela
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »

Technically speaking it's not a variant of the USMC pattern. It's a variant of Crye Precision's MultiCam, with the paterns slightly elongated to give it a more DPM and thus more British feel. It's not a pixelated pattern and thus bears no relation to the USMC Marpat camo, which, by contrast, I have found is remarkably easy to paint.

I'm still working out a paint scheme for the original MultiCam, that really is a bugger to paint. I did a couple of test versions on some Empress SF and I'm still not happy. One of the problems is that the reason the pattern is so effective in real life is that it seems to reflect much of the surrounding terrain colour palette, so rare is it that you find two shots where it looks quite the same tone. Then there's the fact that it is a complex pattern.

I'll keep banging away with swatches and spots of Vallejo, Green brown, grey black, flesh highlight/bone white and german cam brown till I've found the right balance. The green seems to be the hardest colour to match so far. Good luck. If anyone else cracks the code I'll be equally interested.  Good luck.

Ns queremos respeito
E comprometimento
Isso aqui no Vasco
Isso aqui Flamengo!
Gluteus Maximus
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »

Glad it's not just me then  Wink

That's the thing about it - viewed against different backgrounds it does appear different in each instance. Apparently that was part of the rationale behind it.

I hope you will post any progress you make!
carlos marighela
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:21:52 PM »

Hang on. Just had a brain flash. Vague memory of someone on another forum who has done the original MultiCam pattern. Steve Dean's ? Ambush Alley? Might be worth looking there and asking for a tutorial. At least it will give you the palette, you'll just need to very slightly alter the shape composition.
Svennn
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

Balding bloke with a 'V'

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 01:05:40 AM »

Now I know what you want I find I have nothing figure wise from later than 1918 to have a go with Roll Eyes

If I get out of dog walking in the morning expect to see some Victorian chap in a crap version of modern camo Laugh Grin
6milPhil
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:33:14 AM »

Just a few links to assist us all...

http://domhyde.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/brit-mtp-deployed-to-helmand/

Thargor
scientist

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »

If the SD card for my camera ever pitches up, I'll get a few pics of it in-theatre and upload them.  The pic of the patrol shows that we don't yet have a full system and most guys have a mix of MTP uniforms and Desert webbing/ ancillaries.
Keith
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »

I did this crack at it a while ago - its the OEF_ACU, but is pretty darn close to the MTP (which has a more brush-stroke effect and slightly different tones).

The base colours are:

Vallejo 70987 Medium Grey (with Buff Highlights)
Vallejo 70921 English Uniform
Foundry Phlegm Green 28c (Light)

Camoflage Detail colours are:

Vallejo 70922 Uniform Green
Foundry Boneyard Light 9C
Vallejo 70872 Chocolate Brown

The whole thing was then dulled down with a glaze of Vallejo Buff/Medium grey mix.

The US pattern has broad 'overspray' stripes as the underlying plan, wheras the Brit version seems to be more sectional - looks like buff and mid-brown over the pea/olive tint. Had a good look at this as the troops coming in and out of the local airbase are covered in the stuff now.

The base colours are:

Vallejo 70987 Medium Grey (with Buff Highlights)
Vallejo 70921 English Uniform
Foundry Phlegm Green 28c (Light)

Camoflage Detail colours are:

Vallejo 70922 Uniform Green
Foundry Boneyard Light 9C
Vallejo 70872 Chocolate Brown

The whole thing was then dulled down with a glaze of Vallejo Buff/Medium grey mix.

jdp
student

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:07:05 AM »

Keith,
that's a nice aproximation of multicam in 28mm!  Thanks for including the recipe.  I have been wanting to take a stab at this with a 200mm bust and you just saved me all sorts of blood sweat and tears!
carlos marighela
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »

Yes, many thanks Keith, I'll give that a whirl with the substitution of the Foundry paints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: