lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 10:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 09:59:25 AM]

[Today at 09:55:41 AM]

[Today at 09:45:50 AM]

by Inso
[Today at 09:40:04 AM]

[Today at 09:39:57 AM]

[Today at 09:26:37 AM]

[Today at 09:21:50 AM]

[Today at 09:15:36 AM]

[Today at 09:13:02 AM]

[Today at 09:01:55 AM]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 88   Go Down
Author Topic: Former World Cup Thread Now Official Sport Thread  (Read 169375 times)
Gluteus Maximus
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

Location: Down in Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »

The Germany -Australia game was entirely predicatable. The excitement of actually making it beyond the group stage last time seems to have queered most Australians' sense of perspective. Cahill was unlucky but he should have realised Schweinsteiger would make a meal of any tackle. Didn't matter anyway, the Socceroos were never going to come back from 2-0 down.Well played Germany.

Apparently Schweinsteiger said he shouldn't have been sent off. It did seem a bit harsh to me, especially as one of the players in the Netherlands-Denmark match today dived in and clattered an opponent with both feet and never even got booked Huh?

Consistency? Oh well  Sad

At least we saw a couple of yellow cards for some comedy diving routines in the Germany match. That nonsense really does annoy me - even more than those ******* vuvuselas  Laugh

twrchtrwyth
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »

I'm not interested in football, so I have no idea what you're all talking about. Tongue

He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

carlos marighela
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 12:38:54 AM »

Congratulations Italy on holding Paraguay to a 1-1 draw.

Paraguay, the nation best known for regifting BMWs and Mercedes and manufacturing 95% of the continent's Rolex watch requirements meets four times WC champions.

Laughed so much I almost burst (my boss is Italian).

Ns queremos respeito
E comprometimento
Isso aqui no Vasco
Isso aqui Flamengo!
Sterling Moose
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »

I had to laugh at the commentator on Canadian TV during the England vs USA match.  He described Rooney as 'the Man United stroker', he hastily corrected himself, and I nearly fell off the chair laughing.

"Every Dead Body That Is Not Exterminated. Becomes One Of Them. It Gets Up And Kills. The People It Kills Get Up And Kill".
Centaur_Seducer
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »

Is SS Lazio so named because it was Mussolini's club or because the players like giving fascist salutes to the crowd? Questions I once posed to an ex-girlfriend's father, a Lazio fan, to which I never received an adequate reply... Wink
It stands for Societa Sportiva. And Mussolini didn't like football.

My heart is with the Aussies, its never funny to get trashed by the mean german football machine. It was some poor coaching involved as well.
carlos marighela
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »

It stands for Societa Sportiva. And Mussolini didn't like football.

The Beeb begs to differ and so do I for that matter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4158591.stm

Seems we aren't alone either:

http://www.slate.com/id/115070
Shikari Sahib
mad scientist

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »

Is SS Lazio so named because it was Mussolini's club or because the players like giving fascist salutes to the crowd? Questions I once posed to an ex-girlfriend's father, a Lazio fan, to which I never received an adequate reply... Wink

Carlos SS means Societa' Sportiva like Sport Society-Club, it wasn't Mussolini's team beacuse was founded in 1900; AS Roma was founded in 1927 and gained the Italian Championship during the Mussolini reign, and many here think it gained for him.
yes we have had some players , or just one that sometime has make something that resemble the fascist salute.

Piero

Shikari Sahib
mad scientist

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »

Seems we aren't alone either:

http://www.slate.com/id/115070
[/quote]

well this article seems pathetic , most invented, Aaron Winter was always considered for his football skills and no for his color.
trash article, but you could think is correct, is up to you.
 Wink
Shikari Sahib
mad scientist

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »

Well, he's only very young but has great potential and he won't win the golden boot award at this world cup. I think he will be a star in the future and I'm hoping he will do well in the Premier League  Smiley

I'll follow your advice, next year I'll particularly look at him when WBA matches will be broadcasted on Italian TV

You mean the wonderful Roberto Di Matteo?  Not only a truly great player, but a talented coach and he could be Italy's coach in the near future. If he keeps WBA in the Premier, then I expect all sorts of big clubs to try and sign him  Sad
yes DiMatteo was a great player very skilffull one of my favourite.

The way England play, you soon will beat us  Roll Eyes
I think Capello has made a great mistake , not clearly choosing the goalkeeper ; but it seems that at the moment there are not a very good goalkeepers as Banks, Shilton and so on.
don't despair, here most people and journals think as England the potential winner of World Cup. Smiley

carlos marighela
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »

Carlos SS means Societa' Sportiva like Sport Society-Club, it wasn't Mussolini's team beacuse was founded in 1900; AS Roma was founded in 1927 and gained the Italian Championship during the Mussolini reign, and many here think it gained for him.
yes we have had some players , or just one that sometime has make something that resemble the fascist salute.
Piero

Which is a bit like saying that Chelsea wasn't the chosen team of racists in the 1980s (and arguably still is) because they were founded in 1905. Lazio''s dubious reputation is long standing. Unless there is some unholy conspiracy amongst sports journalists, there seems to be a general consensus about the racism and political leanings of some of its fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tv_and_radio/world_football/2400135.stm

http://italy.theoffside.com/serie-a/lazio-fans-again-with-the-racist-chants.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/aug/16/championsleague.lazio
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/lazio-pay-the-price-for-fans-racist-banners-683486.html

That's not to tar all their supporters with the same brush, my ex's father was a very decent chap and far from being a closet fascist or racist.  I have no doubt Mussolini used Lazio's success for his own political ends yet some of Lazio's fan base don't seem to have moved with the times. Sad but incontrovertible.
Shikari Sahib
mad scientist

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »

That's not to tar all their supporters with the same brush, my ex's father was a very decent chap and far from being a closet fascist or racist.  I have no doubt Mussolini used Lazio's success for his own political ends yet some of Lazio's fan base don't seem to have moved with the times. Sad but incontrovertible.
[/quote]

which success you are talking about? Huh?
Lazio doesn't win nothing until 1958 Laugh

I don't want to say that what the Tv or newspapers reports are generically wrong, many fans of Lazio are of a right area, but this happened to many other teams in Italy;and is notorious that the Independent is on left side.. but this is an arguiment of politic that should not be discussed here.

stay well
Driscoles
The Dude
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »

Ok, thanks for your posts but please stay on topic.
This is the WC thread.
Thank you.

, ,
Shikari Sahib
mad scientist

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 12:50:14 PM »

This is the WC thread.
Thank you.

I agree
Piero
joroas
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »

Since when did that happen on this forum?   Shocked

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'
carlos marighela
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »

This is the WC thread.
Thank you.

Happy to.

And now I'm going to say something I never dreamed I ever would...... I hope New Zealand beats Slovakia, if for no other reason that it will cause another sh#tstorm in the Australian media about the fortunes of the Socceroos.  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 88   Go Up

Jump to: