lefttop righttop
leftborder rightborder
leftborder
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2017, 06:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Today at 06:04:09 AM]

[Today at 06:03:18 AM]

[Today at 05:32:45 AM]

[Today at 05:32:25 AM]

[Today at 05:30:53 AM]

[Today at 05:21:40 AM]

by gyg
[Today at 05:16:48 AM]

[Today at 05:16:45 AM]

[Today at 05:16:08 AM]

[Today at 05:10:08 AM]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Space, My New 28mm Frontier (April 28: Market stalls)  (Read 17039 times)
Dr Mathias
LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
Supporting Adventurer
scatterbrained genius

Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!

« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »

I'm jealous watching you tear through all these miniatures- because I have almost all the Spacelords civilians, Astropolis, and Colony miniatures you have shown- but unpainted!

I really like the commanding officers, and great idea putting the sitting robot on a wheeled conveyance. I was at a loss when it came to a way to use the little guy.

… a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Suber
Supporting Adventurer
mastermind

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2017, 01:00:01 AM »

Cool! I still haven't put my hands on mine, I'm jealous! Smiley

War In 15MM
mastermind

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »

I do get a little driven during these projects.
blacksoilbill
mad scientist

« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2017, 12:38:37 AM »

Great work on these!

War In 15MM
mastermind

« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »

Thanks Bill.
War In 15MM
mastermind

« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2017, 11:28:24 PM »

In putting together my Space project I am focused on giving that port/community a very diverse look in terms of population, cultures and technology.  In keeping with that approach I am including the Lead Adventure Miniatures’ Post Apoc merchants.  I love the look of the figures and I think they will be a great addition to the diverse look of that community.  On top of that the figures are great… lots of personality.
Michka
mastermind

« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »

Ooh. Those Post Apocalypse figures look great. I can totally see them standing around a starport.
War In 15MM
mastermind

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »

Michka, thanks for writing and the kind words.  Lead Adventure Miniatures makes some great figures and the post apoc merchants are some of my favorites.  While having a different general look, I think they have the feel of the Astropolis merchant figures and will work well on the same table.  Right now I am working on the entertainment figures for my cantina... should post them soon.  Hope you will check them out.  Richard
War In 15MM
mastermind

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:25 PM »

In putting this collection /the spaceport, together the look of Eavesdown Docks from Firefly and the Mos Eisley from Star Wars are what I hope to achieve.  The Mos Eisley cantina is an essential element of that look and so putting together a cantina for this collection is essential.  Throughout my work on other figures I have been working on the cantina’s patrons and most/not all of them are done, but it is only in the last week that I have completed the figures that will serve as the staff and entertainment for the cantina, and they are the focus of this posting.  Music for the cantina will be provided by the Max Rebo Band and The Modal Nodes.   I was thrilled to find that Hallmark ornaments made the three central characters for the Max Rebo Band back in 1999, and they are perfect for 28mm.  All that was required was repainting and basing.  The Modal Nodes are a different story.  Action Fleet makes one of The Modal Nodes, but Action Fleet are very small figures… not an impossible modification, but far from easy.  West End also made a Mos Eisley Cantina pack, but it was “true 25mm” and thus also small, but it did have two of The Modal Nodes and the bartender in its favor.  I was lucky to find two of the West End cantina packs on eBay at $5 and $6 including shipping so I got both thinking I would probably ruin one of them in the process of modifying them up to 28mm.  Luckily that wasn’t the case.  All six figures came out of the modification process in good shape.   The modification turned out to be pretty easy.  I removed the heads and legs from the West End figures and kept the upper bodies with the arms, musical instruments and glasses/cups/mugs (in the case of the bartenders).  I then gave The Modal Nodes new heads from Wizards of the Coast figures and new heads came for the bartenders from WotC and Heroclix.  The legs are all taken from WotC figures.  I added a little Milliput to lengthen shirts and hide cut lines plus with The Modal Nodes some Milliput was added to broaden the shoulders.  Once the modifications were done new bases were added and the figures were painted.  The Alien Exotic Dancers are from Reaper and those only required painting and basing.  The robot waitress is a Disney Park Collection piece and also required only repainting and basing.  The space-table games is a game taken from a broken Star Wars spaceship.  The figures playing are slightly modified WotC figures and the tiny spaceships they are holding as game pieces are from Heroclix figures (name unknown… I got them in a 25-cents-each tub sans bases).  The chess-like game board is completely Heroclix… game board, and players.  I’ll be posting the cantina’s patrons in the near future.

Michka
mastermind

« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:16 AM »

These look amazing. I love your dedication to populating an exciting game table. I love the conversions.
vodkafan
mad scientist

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »

Great work on sourcing and converting those cantina figures! And the alien dancers are brilliant! It seems that wherever you go in the galaxy, breasts seem to be universally popular....someone should do a scientific study 
hubbabubba
Supporting Adventurer
mad scientist

« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »

Fantastic. They're iconic characters.

War In 15MM
mastermind

« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »

Thanks for writing and for the generous comments.  The cantina element of this project has been central to my thinking since I began collecting the pieces nearly a decade ago.  It's a great feeling seeing it come together.  The construction of the cantina interior will come late in the project (maybe in May) and will involve Legos, Duplos, JTT, Evergreen, and Plaststurt plastic as is the way of all my interior constructions.  While painting the other non-cantina figures in this project, I've kept my eyes open for figures I could modify for use as the cantina patrons, and as I found them I modified them rather than doing them as a group modified and painted all at once.  Consequently I have most of the standing patrons done.  The seated patrons have been collected but won't be worked on until the structure is ready for them.  I plan to post the standing patrons later today or tomorrow.  Thanks again.  Richard
The_Beast
Supporting Adventurer
galactic brain

As my grandchildren see me...

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »

Can't add much besides... Oh HELL yeah!

....someone should do a scientific study 

I'll get right on that!

Doug
vodkafan
mad scientist

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2017, 06:39:29 PM »